annual rant | Syracusefan.com

annual rant

moqui

generational talent
post season conference tourneys to determine auto bids are bs. the regular season champ is the real champ

it will never happen because they generate too much money, but i'd rather delete the conference tourneys and add 2-3 more big intersectional games in the regular season, especially now that the conference season is going to 20 games

just how much money do they generate i wonder? you have lousy attendance for many rounds, you have to pay 14 schools in the ACC to travel and house and feed them

they dont get money from ESPN, isnt it just baked into the whole deal?

post season conference tourneys to determine auto bids are bs. the regular season champ is the real champ

it will never happen because they generate too much money, but i'd rather delete the conference tourneys and add 2-3 more big intersectional games in the regular season, especially now that the conference season is going to 20 games
how bout we delete conference tourneys and go back to 26 regular season games to give each game more significance? We're trending towards NBA and MLB length regular seasons in the name of $ and it's just wrong.

If they got rid of conference tourneys, I think you'd be more likely to see them replaced with a 128 team expanded NCAA tournament, not additional regular season games. First off, regular season games aren't going to drive TV revenue like tournaments do and secondly, big conferences like the ACC are more likely to see their teams add cupcakes instead of major opponents since they now have 20 games of ACC meat grinder to deal with.

I think they are great for the P5 and Big East. Those teams are all getting in anyway. But for the rest of the conferences like the AAC, MWC, etc I agree with you that the auto bid is undeserving. Those teams aren’t making it any other way.

Although one could argue that little conferences having tournaments gives those schools a chance to win something since they have no shot in the NCAAT. For example if I am a fan of Cornell, I rather spend money at the Ivy League Tournament than the NCAA Tournament.

Maybe they should flip what they do now. Instead of regular season champ being NIT, make the tournament champ NIT.

Conference determine how they want to give out their automatic bid. Very few conferences play true robin home/home. The Big XII and maybe the 10 team smaller conferences.

Small conferences can conduct their tournaments however they want. Some conference like the WCC give their top 2 seeds byes into the semifinals. They protect their top teams.
Instead of making their top conference teams have to win 3 games they only have to win 2. It is up to each conference to protect their top team.

Get rid of conference tournaments and go the way of the FA cup in soccer.

how many of these top teams are losing to bad teams though? Duke losing to Pitt is still a better loss than a 16-0 low level team losing to a 2-14 league team.

couldnt they write something into the league bylaws that a team winning the league by X games gets the NCAA bid and still play a conf tourney. is the ncaa cut and dry you have to only give it to one or the other?

Conference determine how they want to give out their automatic bid. Very few conferences play true robin home/home. The Big XII and maybe the 10 team smaller conferences.

Small conferences can conduct their tournaments however they want. Some conference like the WCC give their top 2 seeds byes into the semifinals. They protect their top teams.
Instead of making their top conference teams have to win 3 games they only have to win 2. It is up to each conference to protect their top team.
Big East.

Basketball tournaments are fun. The ACC tournament must make a bunch of money since major markets bid to have it. Don't see the reason to overthink them.

The ACC should get rid of the double bye. The Tuesdays games are a farce, as those teams had such a pathetic season, they don't deserve to be in the conference tourney. The ACC conference tourney should start today.

And, Clemson got hosed by the refs this afternoon.

I love them for the big conferences. If you're in or on the bubble you have the chance to control your destiny and improve your status. It's what will probably happen to Belmont that gets to me. I guess it adds drama but do the conference tourney's make money for the small leagues?

I love them for the big conferences. If you're in or on the bubble you have the chance to control your destiny and improve your status. It's what will probably happen to Belmont that gets to me. I guess it adds drama but do the conference tourney's make money for the small leagues?

Those Saturday games from some alphabet conference where a kid hits a 3 to go dancing, why do away with it?

Use the extra days to make the NCAA a double elimination tourney!

Those Saturday games from some alphabet conference where a kid hits a 3 to go dancing, why do away with it?

In some ways those are the best part of March. Where just making it means everything. The sport certainly is unique in the way it decides it's champions, conference or national. And it's the biggest part of what makes it great.

lJtbwxt.gif

i used to enjoy the old BIG EAST tourney's in the garden MORE than the NCAAT. maybe someday i'll feel the same about the ACCT. like maybe when we win a few games...

In some ways those are the best part of March. Where just making it means everything. The sport certainly is unique in the way it decides it's champions, conference or national. And it's the biggest part of what makes it great.
those miracle wins steal a bid, not from a mediocre p5 team, but from another small time school whose kids have grinded for months to win the regular season title and are more deserving

those miracle wins steal a bid, not from a mediocre p5 team, but from another small time school whose kids have grinded for months to win the regular season title and are more deserving

None the less, those are the moments that make March. The most deserving team doesn't always win. That's part of what makes the college basketball post season the most exciting in spots.

Not really. The conferences have determined that the regular season is for seeding, the tourney is for the championship. You might not like it, but that doesn't change it.

The ACC should get rid of the double bye. The Tuesdays games are a farce, as those teams had such a pathetic season, they don't deserve to be in the conference tourney. The ACC conference tourney should start today.

And, Clemson got hosed by the refs this afternoon.

Carolina mafia school vs. a football school, did you expect any different?