Another Nocera "NCAA ethics" article | Syracusefan.com

Another Nocera "NCAA ethics" article

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
I didn't see this posted anywhere. Warning: this will make you mad. I understand the need for a regulatory agency regarding college sports, but these guys are totally corrupt. And they are at this very moment jerking Southerland around (I surmise...). Who can stand up to them? We need an Occupy NCAA movement!

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130129/NEWS0802/701299965

Do you think the fact that Emmert did not get the Penn. St. president's job that he was in the running for, had anything to do with the level of penalties they were given?
All of these incidences are why I believe when the largest universities finally get the league structures straightened out, they will tell the NCAA good-bye.

In my view the article is rather stupid. The NCAA and college sports are all about generating as much $$ as possible - nothing more, nothing less.

The concepts of "student-athlete", amateurism and ethics in college sports are idyllic concepts that died a long time ago.

He asks the question are University Presidents going to do something? Well, wait a minute let me see if I can pull them out of the meeting where they are attempting to pimp themselves to the next best conference alignment so they can then pitch the TV networks in order to maximize revenues to their schools. Yeah, let's hope college presidents are going to do something.

The only thing they are going to do is secede from the NCAA, but not because the NCAA is unethical or unfair, but rather because they don't want to have to live by rules created by the NCAA that still try to give the impression of creating a fair playing field for all schools competing in a sport rather than just the ones that are part of the BCS alignment.

The Emperor has no clothes. That said I love college sports, but maybe we should call it what it is and stop the charade.

The concepts of "student-athlete", amateurism and ethics in college sports are idyllic concepts that died a long time ago.

"BACKWARD, turn backward, O Time, in your flight,. Make me a child again just for to-night!"

I get your cynicism, but in my soul I am still a young college student, ready to take on injustice and feeling that anything is possible. Aren't colleges' bottom lines also affected by this "tyranny?"

"Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again!"

Sorry, I just can't help myself.

Can't wait for alignment to finish out so the NCAA can finally get what they have comming to them.

Do you think the fact that Emmert did not get the Penn. St. president's job that he was in the running for, had anything to do with the level of penalties they were given?

I don't think it did becauae I don't think their penalties were harsh enough. They shouldn't have played football this fall and I think Emmert went easy on them.

I don't think it did becauae I don't think their penalties were harsh enough. They shouldn't have played football this fall and I think Emmert went easy on them.
I guess we'll have to wait and see when the administrators go to court. Friends in State College tell me that comments and charges made by the NCAA regarding at least two of these admins are thin ice at best.

I guess we'll have to wait and see when the administrators go to court. Friends in State College tell me that comments and charges made by the NCAA regarding at least two of these admins are thin ice at best.

Yes, because 3 decades of abuse, many right on campus, was unknown to everyone. It was an institutional problem and coverup.

Yes, because 3 decades of abuse, many right on campus, was unknown to everyone. It was an institutional problem and coverup.
I'm not making excuses for the terrible situation there. I do have a well connected source that says there has been some overreach by the NCAA regarding one or two of the admins.

I'm not making excuses for the terrible situation there. I do have a well connected source that says there has been some overreach by the NCAA regarding one or two of the admins.

I don't think they are going after enough admins nor politicians.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I don't think they are going after enough admins nor politicians.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3
Well now, politicians are a whole other story! :rolleyes: