Another sign of the degrading level of journalism in America | Syracusefan.com

Another sign of the degrading level of journalism in America

Orangemen

All Conference
The head line on espn:
Source: Refs Made Right Call in SU Duke game

First paragraph:
The controversial call in the waning seconds of Saturday's showdown between Syracuse and Duke was so close, at least in real time, that one veteran person in officiating management said he could see it being called either way.

So now we have sources for opinions? Not to mention the fact that the first paragraph pretty much contradicts the headline.

Anyone else a little hurt that espn chose that 'source' and not one of us for this definitive opinion piece on the non block call?

Last edited:
Yeah, I just don't like that they're calling it "mad right." I don't think I've used mad in that sense in over a decade.
:)

The source is what makes it a stupid, pointless article. An anonymous member of officiating management? I know some anonymous upper managers at GM who think the Camaro is a better car than the Mustang.

Orangemen said:
The head line on espn: Source: Refs Made Right Call in SU Duke game First paragraph: The controversial call in the waning seconds of Saturday's showdown between Syracuse and Duke was so close, at least in real time, that one veteran person in officiating management said he could see it being called either way. So now we have sources for opinions? Not to mention the fact that the first paragraph pretty much contradicts the headline. Anyone else a little hurt that espn chose that 'source' and not one of us for this definitive opinion piece on the non block call?
The idiocy of j schools is most apparent in headlines

Officials are highly protective of one another..rarely will they throw another under the bus even if it makes sense. They believe their craft is under appreciated more than any other profession. A buddy of mine is a hoops official not yet D1 but probably soon. He goes on and on with excuses. Excuses are bs. If you mess up at work you get called out and thats no different here.

Journalism has declined with the decline in the number of newspapers. Half the "writers" employed these days couldn't make it past the National Enquirer.

Journalism has declined with the decline in the number of newspapers. Half the "writers" employed these days couldn't make it past the National Enquirer.

Other way around. The decline in the number of newspapers has been caused by the decline in journalism. Newspapers aren't "news" anymore - they've devolved, like broadcasting, into nothing more than worthless state-sponsored agit-prop tools.

If I may offer my opinion, and it seems to be hinted at here, I think what you're seeing is ESPN protecting their darlings. They created the image of Duke, and they've been protecting them since the late 90's.

The head line on espn:
Source: Refs Made Right Call in SU Duke game

First paragraph:
The controversial call in the waning seconds of Saturday's showdown between Syracuse and Duke was so close, at least in real time, that one veteran person in officiating management said he could see it being called either way.

So now we have sources for opinions? Not to mention the fact that the first paragraph pretty much contradicts the headline.

Anyone else a little hurt that espn chose that 'source' and not one of us for this definitive opinion piece on the non block call?

Nothing personal...but I did laugh when I saw the headline on this thread.
I'm hard pressed to consider this nonsense coverage of a basketball game "journalism."
I guess it is in a broad sense.

The decline in journalistic quality depends on what time period, what media and what outlets you use as a base. There are a number of reasons that can be cited for it - which I won't bore anybody with.

I'll just point out that, generally, the reporter or columnist does not write the headline accompanying the piece in print or the web. Same thing with TV tease material. That doesn't make it right. But that's the way it typically is.

Nothing personal...but I did laugh when I saw the headline on this thread.
I'm hard pressed to consider this nonsense coverage of a basketball game "journalism."
I guess it is in a broad sense.

The decline in journalistic quality depends on what time period, what media and what outlets you use as a base. There are a number of reasons that can be cited for it - which I won't bore anybody with.

I'll just point out that, generally, the reporter or columnist does not write the headline accompanying the piece in print or the web. Same thing with TV tease material. That doesn't make it right. But that's the way it typically is.
If espn is not trying to do journalism, then I don't know who is. They're not the ny times, but they try.

And I totally agree about the headline itself. The author isn't responsible for that. That's the work of some other idiot newbie.

Just the idea of the article is insane. In the history of espn.com, how many games have been decided on judgment calls? And how many times has an article appeared quoting a source saying that the judgment call was correct?

I don't see this as an anti SU thing, I just think it's embarrassing in general to put that on their front page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom