Anti-Calipari thread | Syracusefan.com

Anti-Calipari thread

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
Long time lurker & enjoy this board very much, as there's always a lot of great insight/opinions. My extreme dislike for Calipari + the "All Access KY" series + me being bedridden with mono= this thread and research. My first question is does Cal really "send guys to the NBA" as he & many claim or does he simply foster players who would be lottery picks regardless of where they played college ball &, if so, is he even increasing their draft stock? I looked at Draftexpress.com to compile the following stats, with the 1st # being where they projected the player going in their October "College Pre-Season Mock" & the 2nd # being where they were actually selected in that year's Draft:

2008: Derrick Rose (projected) 2- (selected) 1

2009: Tyreke Evans 10-4

2010: John Wall 1-1
DeMarcus Cousins 9-5
Patrick Patterson 12th (before Jr. year/ pre-Cal)- 14
Eric Bledsoe NR (14th in 2011 Mock)- 18
Daniel Orton NR (12th in 2011 Mock)- 29

2011: Enes Kanter 3-6
Brandon Knight 8-8

2012: Anthony Davis 1-1
MKG 3-3
Terrence Jones 15 (pre-Frosh year)- 12 (pre-Soph year)- 18
Marquis Teague 18-29
Doron Lamb NR (pre-Frosh year)- 43 (pre-Soph)- 42

While there were obviously some who increased their draft stock or validated it, there were just as many who's draft stock slightly dropped.

If Lebron James played for Calipari, Calipari would be touting himself as the person that made Lebron the superstar he is in the NBA.

Long time lurker & enjoy this board very much, as there's always a lot of great insight/opinions. My extreme dislike for Calipari + the "All Access KY" series + me being bedridden with mono= this thread and research. My first question is does Cal really "send guys to the NBA" as he & many claim or does he simply foster players who would be lottery picks regardless of where they played college ball &, if so, is he even increasing their draft stock? I looked at Draftexpress.com to compile the following stats, with the 1st # being where they projected the player going in their October "College Pre-Season Mock" & the 2nd # being where they were actually selected in that year's Draft:

2008: Derrick Rose (projected) 2- (selected) 1

2009: Tyreke Evans 10-4

2010: John Wall 1-1
DeMarcus Cousins 9-5
Patrick Patterson 12th (before Jr. year/ pre-Cal)- 14
Eric Bledsoe NR (14th in 2011 Mock)- 18
Daniel Orton NR (12th in 2011 Mock)- 29

2011: Enes Kanter 3-6
Brandon Knight 8-8

2012: Anthony Davis 1-1
MKG 3-3
Terrence Jones 15 (pre-Frosh year)- 12 (pre-Soph year)- 18
Marquis Teague 18-29
Doron Lamb NR (pre-Frosh year)- 43 (pre-Soph)- 42

While there were obviously some who increased their draft stock or validated it, there were just as many who's draft stock slightly dropped.
Good work, but you could have simplified it quite a bit.

Not to bump my own thread, but I'm also questioning this stat that Cal has been throwing out to anyone who will listen since winning the title, & most recently on "All Access UK", that "Davis & MKG were 4th & 5th on our team in FGA last year & were still taken 1st & 2nd overall in the draft". While this stat is true & UK did play incredibly unselfishly last year, not many Centers are generally amongst the team leaders in FGA & MKG, though an outstanding player, is a SF with a less-than-adequate jumper. Let's take a closer look at this stat:

Player: FGA FTA
D. Lamb 369 149
T. Jones 354 158
M. Teague 352 119
A. Davis 337 203
M. Kidd Gilchrist 326 192

Though Davis & MKG were indeed 4th & 5th in FGA, it was by a relatively slim margin & they were also 1st & 2nd in FTA by a much larger margin. Obviously not all fouls are shooting fouls, but that discrepancy is basically negated considering that neither player, especially not Davis, was handling the ball as much as the guards late in games & therefore, was not being sent to the line nearly as much to stop the clock. I conclude that if you were to count actual "attempted shots", then they attempted enough to not only ruin this stat, but to also possibly lead the team. Just another empty stat being spewed by Cal, a guy who's made a career on spinning things in his favor.

I don't understand this thread at all. We're attacking Cal after he won a title in dominating fashion and had 6 players drafted. Okay. Additionally, you attracted a UK troll to our board.

You don't have to like him, but it's time to recognize that Cal is an excellent basketball coach and runs his program exceptionally well. This is not disputable. SU fans should be focused on how our program needs to get back to the FF instead of on what some SEC program is doing.

I don't understand this thread at all. We're attacking Cal after he won a title in dominating fashion and had 6 players drafted. Okay. Additionally, you attracted a UK troll to our board.

You don't have to like him, but it's time to recognize that Cal is an excellent basketball coach and runs his program exceptionally well. This is not disputable. SU fans should be focused on how our program needs to get back to the FF instead of on what some SEC program is doing.

Great post but It would have been interesting if we played Kentucky with Fab, and seen how that game would have went.

Darius Miller, Josh Harrelson, and Deandre Liggins were all drafted as well.