Any basketball observations from Midnight Madness? | Syracusefan.com

Any basketball observations from Midnight Madness?

Any observations of the new players? How did players look in the scrimmage?

Cooney hit three 3's. Not a lot of defense. Triche team won something like 41-34. MCW and Triche each had dunks on drives to the hoop.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Dajuan looks likes hes going to be special. He was all over the place/ Rak stayed close to home in the paint.

MCW, Triche and Dajuan impressed me the most.
As expected MCW can really pass the ball.
Cooney brings a confident looking jumpshot that has been lost for 2 years.

Cooney showed a lightning quick release

Cooney showed a lightning quick release

not only that but noticed he has a high release point as well- not a good ball handler by the looks but sure can shoot it-

Sorry, I'm a stat freak and had access to replay, so here goes:

Team Orange
Gbinije 8 points, 2 assists. Had a few alley-oops and looks to be a reliable finisher, good slashing wing.
XMas 10 points, Didn't seem to miss. Most efficient/effective above the rim, but most were open looks.
MCW 7 points, 9 or 10 assists (not kidding, these mostly yielded in open dunks or oops), drew 1 shooting foul. He made some great passes. Looked more than solid handling, good dribble penetration, and controlled the tempo like you would want in a point guard. Missed a dunk. He finished with caution the next lay-in :) Caused at least one turnover.
Cole 10 points. He was active on both ends of glass, and probably had more rebounds than anyone else. Missed a few outside shots but they rimmed out or were close; he looks like he can hit those short and medium range shots. Even though not there wasn't a lot of defense played, you could see how he's going to be a problem for opposing 4s and 5s when he's in the offensive paint. Man, if he can draw fouls (and shoot freebies) he's going to be tough for any one defender to deal with. Maybe has similar to Onuaku's footwork but stronger? We shall see...
CJ? In one play then out?
Hart 3 pointer, 1 assist, limited play
Lyde-Cajuste 3 pointer, limited play

Team White
Keita 8 points, drew 1 shooting foul. He looked active on offense, more so than in the past, but he did miss a couple of outside shots he normally wouldn't take in a regular season game.
Southerland 6 points, drew 1 shooting foul. Had a few dunks and oops but didn't take outside shots. Didn't get many opportunities.
Triche 6 points. 3 or 4 assists, nice finishes (dunks) with limited looks. Looked good getting into the lane and solid like last year.
Cooney 11 points, 2 assists, drew 1 shooting foul, 3 3-pointers. Aggressive and confident, but he should be. As mentioned already, he has a great release and reminds me of how GMac could always get the shot off without getting blocked and still be accurate. I can't wait to see him shoot the ball in November.
Grant 2 points. Although he looked tentative (missed a dunk), he really wasn't the focus of the game, but he shows promise with athleticism and length.
Hoffman 1 assist, limited play

Please don't take too much stock in the above as there wasn't much defense being played. To be honest, it's all I'd expect from a scrimmage for fans. More than anything, it was really fun to see the potential in the underclassmen.

Just for the record, it was NOT Triche's team that won. MCW's team won it.

MCW's shot was off, but his passing was on and he ended up knocking down a 3 late in the scrimmage.

Triche looked good all-around.

Jerami Grant looked awful. Cannot shoot at all, but jacked up a handful of 3's.

Coleman made Keita look like a ragdoll. Absolutely punishing him inside.

Keita and Gbinje (spelling?) seem to be competing for worst hands of all-time.

Cooney's shot looks beautiful. Probably shot around 40-50% tonight but only had one bad miss, and you can just tell that he's going to be a reliable shooter.

Southerland doesn't seem to have improved the way I had hoped. Still forcing 3's, still not following through on his shot so it's kind of all over the place, still makes KJo look like an elite ball-handler.

Just for the record, it was NOT Triche's team that won. MCW's team won.

For the record, I was only going by tweets since I chose to watch the Yanks and wasn't there.

Found out last night that Gbinije is pronounced "ben - eh - jay." He was one of the best out there, I thought. Wish he could play this year!

For the record, I was only going by tweets since I chose to watch the Yanks and wasn't there.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, Triche's team had the lead at halftime but they couldn't knock anything down in the 2nd half.

CJ Fair was a non-factor

almost like he wasn't even playing

yanks game was over before madness started

CJ Fair was a non-factor

almost like he wasn't even playing

He wasn't. He played the first possession or two and then came out and never went back in.

Cooney may be hard to keep off the court if hes on and playing D, the dude can shoot and has hops! It was a scrimmage so I didnt expect much D or much flow from either offenses but, as stated above, Coleman is going to good...real good. Hes got great hands, good footwork, and has a motor for his size. Some guy behind me kept yelling " fat boy getting a work out -out there". I wanted to stab him...kidding kidding, but I had to turn around and tell him that he should call that to him to his face. Its a shame Gbinije cant play this season, very athletic and really smooth. A whole season of preparing and working out and I honestly believe we will see a Wes Johnson type impact. Team is very athletic, long, and can all run.

I was pleasantly surprised with DC2's athleticism. When I saw him in high school, he always looked slow and sluggish and when he jumped, it looked like he had a refrigerator on his back. Looks like hitting the gym over the summer has really paid off for him. Threw down some really nice dunks in warmups, including a windmill, where he was pretty high above the rim.

Just updated the assists after watching the replay. MCW, given the minutes he should have distributing the ball, can really compete with Siva and others in assists. Even when teams are playing defense, he has great vision, his head is up and surveying, and has a real knack for getting people involved. If he plays in control, he's either going to score in chunks or get 6+ assists per game, depending on what the defense is giving him. Flynn had 6.7 per game in 2008, and no one since then has been to that mark. I see no reason why MCW won't flirt with those numbers. Definitely agree with orangefan13's assesment that MCW, Cole and Triche shined the most, but Cooney was fun to watch too.

Team Orange
Gbinije 8 points, 2 assists. Had a few alley-oops and looks to be a reliable finisher, good slashing wing.
XMas 10 points, Didn't seem to miss. Most efficient/effective above the rim, but most were open looks.
MCW 7 points, 9 or 10 assists (not kidding, these mostly yielded in open dunks or oops), drew 1 shooting foul. He made some great passes. Looked more than solid handling, good dribble penetration, and controlled the tempo like you would want in a point guard. Missed a dunk. He finished with caution the next lay-in :) Caused at least one turnover.
Cole 10 points. He was active on both ends of glass, and probably had more rebounds than anyone else. Missed a few outside shots but they rimmed out or were close; he looks like he can hit those short and medium range shots. Even though not there wasn't a lot of defense played, you could see how he's going to be a problem for opposing 4s and 5s when he's in the offensive paint. Man, if he can draw fouls (and shoot freebies) he's going to be tough for any one defender to deal with. Maybe has similar to Onuaku's footwork but stronger? We shall see...

Team White
Keita 8 points, drew 1 shooting foul. He looked active on offense, more so than in the past, but he did miss a couple of outside shots he normally wouldn't take in a regular season game.
Southerland 6 points, drew 1 shooting foul. Had a few dunks and oops but didn't take outside shots. Didn't get many opportunities.
Triche 6 points. 3 or 4 assists, nice finishes (dunks) with limited looks. Looked good getting into the lane and solid like last year.
Cooney 11 points, 2 assists, drew 1 shooting foul, 3 3-pointers. Aggressive and confident, but he should be. As mentioned already, he has a great release and reminds me of how GMac could always get the shot off without getting blocked and still be accurate. I can't wait to see him shoot the ball in November.
Grant 2 points. Although he looked tentative (missed a dunk), he really wasn't the focus of the game, but he shows promise with athleticism and length.

Please don't take too much stock in the above as there wasn't much defense being played. To be honest, it's all I'd expect from a scrimmage for fans. More than anything, it was really fun to see the potential in the underclassmen.
Grant had no offensive game in his summer tourney. For those that think he will contribute this year, get a grip.

He wasn't. He played the first possession or two and then came out and never went back in.
Obviously you're not a golfer

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Team Orange

Team White

Go TEEEEEEEE.

Grant had no offensive game in his summer tourney. For those that think he will contribute this year, get a grip.

Thankfully we won't need him for another 2 years...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom