Any new assumptions on the status of ND, RU OR UC... | Syracusefan.com

Any new assumptions on the status of ND, RU OR UC...

jr4750

All American
to the ACC in the next few years? Haven't really heard a lot about that recently and with the thread about the ACC - ESPN deal being extended to 2026, I'd imagine there will be some interest to possibly expand again in the next few years. While I wouldn't be thrilled to add either Rutgers or UCONN, the prospect of making the ACC a more balanced Northern league appeals to me. Living in MD and hearing routinely about the NC bias of the league, I'b be thrilled to diversify it even more. Bringing in ND, although unlikely, would yield an even nicer payday for the cuse...

The only 3 schools that would send the ACC into action are Notre Dame, Penn State, and Texas. One of those 3 is needed for further expansion.

Notre Dame to the ACC if very likely. If ND has to join a conference, for all sports, it will be the ACC. They hate the B1G, and the XII doesn't have markets they want exposure in.

I think we eventually see Notre Dame and UConn/Rutgers. Rutgers, having large on campus facilities, is probably ahead of UConn in some ACC schools minds. While UConn having good basketball, is ahead in other ACC schools minds.

Rutgers, along with ND, brings 7 lacrosse programs. Rutgers also makes it easier for us to recruit NJ. Plus whether you'd like to admit it, they're a nice football rival.

UConn is purely basketball. No football history. Small, off campus, stadium. They have good basketball, but play off campus in basketball too.

The idea of 16 team Superconferences is dead. Unless ND decides to join, the ACC is done with expansion.

And with the institution of a 4 team playoff, ND has even more reason to remain independent. In fact, it could be argued this "new" Big East actually helps Notre Dame basketball.

UConn is purely basketball. No football history. Small, off campus, stadium. They have good basketball, but play off campus in basketball too.

Most games are at Gampel Pavilion which is on campus. From time-to-time thay play at the Hartford Civic Center which, like the football stadium, is about 2o-25 miles from the campus.

Things like a stadium being on or off campus, or a school having a lacrosse program, will not be determining factors if there were ever to be future expansion.

Why do I feel like UEO? These things should not need to be said.

:bang:

Oh Lord

I think SU will hang UConn out to dry just like BC did. We stop playing UConn and they will end up isolated. When Calhoun retires they will melt back into the oblivion from which the emerged when Calhoun took over. In 5 years I don't think UConn is a major hoops player anymore and the remain in never was land for football. Jersey State may get lucky just because of their proximity to NYC. Lord knows they've never done anything in any sport.

Notre Dame to the ACC if very likely. If ND has to join a conference, for all sports, it will be the ACC. They hate the B1G, and the XII doesn't have markets they want exposure in.
I don't know if ND to the ACC is likely, but certainly ND is more likely to the ACC than PSU or TX.

Rutgers, along with ND, brings 7 lacrosse programs. Rutgers also makes it easier for us to recruit NJ. Plus whether you'd like to admit it, they're a nice football rival.
I assume "Rutgers, along with ND, brings 7 lacrosse programs" is a typo. If not, I don't get what you're saying. And I will not admit it - they are not a rival of ours. We are a rival of theirs, though.

EDIT: OK, now I get it. With RU and ND, ACC lax would have 7 teams. It was "brings" that threw me.

I think ND to the ACC is just a matter of time. I would have told you ND will never join a conference years ago, but with these mega conferences being formed ND is going to have to jump on board. Plus with the money these conferences generate, ND might not take a financial"hit" joining a conference in fact they may get a boost.

If Rutgers football hits the craper with Schiano gone, I don't care if they play their games in Yankee Stadium, the ACC won't touch them. If ND were to join, and with ND and Syracuse the NYC area is covered. No use for Rutgers especially a bad Rutgers football team. The sleeper team (if they can keep improving in football) is Temple. Philly market and with Penn St maybe taking a hit/dip having Pitt and Temple could blanket Pennsylvania and make it ACC country while Penn St is licking their wounds. I don't see UCONN in ACC either, I think there is a lot of bad blood there and long memories.

As an old time ACC guy, I could be fine with Temple as the 16th ACC team, provided ND is #15 of course. I am still not convinced ND will be joining a conference, and, if they do, I still feel like the basketball wing of the conference will want UConn.

As an old time ACC guy, I could be fine with Temple as the 16th ACC team, provided ND is #15 of course. I am still not convinced ND will be joining a conference, and, if they do, I still feel like the basketball wing of the conference will want UConn.
I'm not sold on Temple (are their academics in line with other ACC teams - too lazy to look it up, and I have no idea how important academics would be to an expansion decision), but I could see UConn taking a step (or two) back when Calhoun finally hangs it up. Don't know if they would help BB or not.

2 of those 3 will be in the ACC within 2 - 3 years.

Sent from my DROIDX

I trust your opinion, but I just don't see it. Unless the ACC caves, I don't see TX giving up the Longhorn Network. That plus the ACC doesn't control their 3rd tier television right, correct? As for PSU, would the addition of PSU and ND increase the ACC payout to offset what they make in the B1G? Honest question - I don't remember what they get now, or what ND/PSU to the ACC would bring.

Sent from my DROIDX
Two of the former 3 (ND, PSU and UT) or the latter 3 (Uconn, snooki and Temple)?

Two of the former 3 (ND, PSU and UT) or the latter 3 (Uconn, snooki and Temple)?
I thought bees meant the former 3. Maybe he meant the latter 3. Good pick up. Or bad miss by me.

I thought bees meant the former 3. Maybe he meant the latter 3. Good pick up. Or bad miss by me.

My bad, I forgot to quote the post I was replying to. I meant ND, UConn, rutgers.