Any of You BB First Fans Still Want To Be in the Big East, read this... | Syracusefan.com

Any of You BB First Fans Still Want To Be in the Big East, read this...

How depressing. Reminds me of the R***** board after UM, VT, and BC left. Deja vu. Very bad deja vu. So happy we are where we are.

Think about the self loathing and off the wall suggestions in this thread...if it wasn't for the plan Cuse put to work after 2003...this could be us. The UConn guys are saying $8M is what ESPN is offering and if lucky a smidge more just to be a super mid-major.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/raise-the-exit-fee-to-50m.24438/

I'm going to savor this last season and the BET, but I truly cannot wait to get out of this dumpster fire and I'm equally as excited to build new rivalries in the ACC.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

What is that rumor about Temple getting kicked out of the BE again? Linky

I tried to find more information about it, but couldn't find anything.

"Just imagine how bad it would be if in a few years Temple is being invited to the Big Ten and we're still stuck here."

Oh my. Temple to the Big Ten. Just let that idea roll around in your head for a minute. I know the poster is just musing and thinking about how bad things can get, but seriously...some ideas need to be rooted in some possible semblance of reality. No sense worrying about things that will never happen. Oh Lord

Think about the self loathing and off the wall suggestions in this thread...if it wasn't for the plan Cuse put to work after 2003...this could be us. The UConn guys are saying $8M is what ESPN is offering and if lucky a smidge more just to be a super mid-major.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/raise-the-exit-fee-to-50m.24438/
I think short term the Bball brand is diminished, a bit. BE bball was reaching SEC fball status. That's why Duke and NC wanted SU & Uconn, then Pitt: to hurt BE basketball.
In the long run, we will be better off.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I think short term the Bball brand is diminished, a bit. BE bball was reaching SEC fball status. That's why Duke and NC wanted SU & Uconn, then Pitt: to hurt BE basketball.
In the long run, we will be better off.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Eh, BE ball was the best, but SEC football has won 6 NCs in a row. No comparison.

SU has had a great run as of late, I hope they keep it up! The next 5 years is critical. If we can keep up the Philly, Balt, DC recruiting, we should be fine. I think the ACC is a step down from the current BE bball and we actually lose out on 3 to 5 BE games in the tri-state area that draw a tone of SU fans and give the team a huge advantage. If this was 10 years ago, I would have said a move to the ACC was an upgrade hands down, not anymore!

Eh, BE ball was the best, but SEC football has won 6 NCs in a row. No comparison.
It's also impossible to compare college FB to college BB. Much more difficult, under the current set-ups, to dominate in hoops (although the UK-Cal axis may have found a way to change the BB calculus).

SU has had a great run as of late, I hope they keep it up! The next 5 years is critical. If we can keep up the Philly, Balt, DC recruiting, we should be fine. I think the ACC is a step down from the current BE bball and we actually lose out on 3 to 5 BE games in the tri-state area that draw a tone of SU fans and give the team a huge advantage. If this was 10 years ago, I would have said a move to the ACC was an upgrade hands down, not anymore!
Where in the BE, after we leave, is the equivelent of playing Duke, NC and NC State? Other than Louisville, nobody I can see on an ongoing basis. Others in the ACC are not than much of a stepdown from the middle teams in the BE. And, unless the BB teams in the BE go off by themselves, there will be less talent anxious to play there.
Assuming there is any kind of ticket availability, there are a ton of fans in the ACC boundries that will give SU an advantage at away games.

How depressing. Reminds me of the R***** board after UM, VT, and BC left. Deja vu. Very bad deja vu. So happy we are where we are.

Reminds me more of the SU boards after we got screwed back in 2003. When we and Pitt got the invites last September, UConn was coming off a BCS Bowl and an NCAA championship. And to then learn that they were at least in the running for one of those two spots, the analogy to us in 2003 was made even more evident.

Glad we got out when we did. Thank you TGD and TWO.

Cheers,
Neil

It's truly only a "step down" if we don't wind up scheduling at least two of Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's. or Temple OOC each year.

Somehow I think at least two of those opponents will be OOC each year.

Cheers,
Neil

It's also impossible to compare college FB to college BB. Much more difficult, under the current set-ups, to dominate in hoops (although the UK-Cal axis may have found a way to change the BB calculus).
Ouch, lol.

Where in the BE, after we leave, is the equivelent of playing Duke, NC and NC State? Other than Louisville, nobody I can see on an ongoing basis. Others in the ACC are not than much of a stepdown from the middle teams in the BE. And, unless the BB teams in the BE go off by themselves, there will be less talent anxious to play there.
Assuming there is any kind of ticket availability, there are a ton of fans in the ACC boundries that will give SU an advantage at away games.

He said "current Big East," not Big East after we leave. Easy to agree with - better than North Carolina State? Take your pick. Better than Duke and UNC? I don't know that anyone is, but I wouldn't say that either of those teams is a more attractive opponent than Connecticut, Louisville, or Georgetown. Pretty much even.

The current Big East won't exist in twelve months, so the point is moot. But, yeah, the 2014 ACC is going to be a step down from the 2012 Big East.

First and foremost (at least for me), the ACC is an academic upgrade. Instead of the likes of Fried Chicken U (great BB but virtually no academic standards), seton hall (thug u), cincinatti (good research but nothing special academically), St Johns, etc., we're joining a 60 year old conference with Virginia, UNC, Duke, BC, Maryland, Georgia Tech ... all quality academic institutions. We lose a good school in GT (good riddance), but the other good schools in the BE, ND and Pitt, are coming with us. I think it was Waters in the PS that observed that all the ACC schools are in the top 50 or 60 in the country. So that's a factor that has to be considered.

Second, it goes without saying that ACC revenue and stability are significant upgrades over the BE (and no GOR). As most are aware, the BEC had reached the point (from a FB standpoint, primarily) where we simply had to make a move.

But reallignment has a downside. I think our BB reputation is growing nationally, but our recruting base -- and our primary television market -- is still New York/NYC and the tri-state area. In the ACC, BC will our new "partner" -- we will play each other home/home every year. Boston is obviously in the northeast, but it's outside of our recruiting sphere (I'd rather see ND as our ACC partner, but that won't help recruiting either). Pitt gives us a second game in the northeast, and U of Maryland does give us a game in a recruiting hotbed (Baltimore). But this isn't the same as playing GT in DC, St. Johns at the garden or UConn at the XCL Center.

We could still arrange OOC games with St. Johns, UConn, Louisville or GT. But realistically, there's not a lot of scheduling room pre-season for this kind of a game (outside a tournament). All the same, I'd like to see at least a game every year against a BE team in NYC/-tri-state area. This is a must for our ["NY's College Team"] brand and our huge NYC fan-base.

We also have fan support in southern cities, but it's more diffuse (spread across a larger geographic area). The Carolinas have a 'Cuse contingent, especially in the Raleigh/Durham area, and we have fans in Atlanta and in Florida. I'd like to hear from other posters what kind of crowds we'll get playing in SC (Clemson), Winston-Salem (WF), Blacksburg (V-Tech), Charlotesville (UVA) and the other tabacco road venues.

(although the UK-Cal axis may have found a way to change the BB calculus).

douglas_cash.jpg

So in summation

2 games (most years) in NYC area in some meaningless Nov or Dec Made for TV tournament
1 game every year at MSG vs SJU
1 game either in DC or Cuse vs GTown
1 game every season vs one of these three (UConn, Nova or Louisville)

He said "current Big East," not Big East after we leave. Easy to agree with - better than North Carolina State? Take your pick. Better than Duke and UNC? I don't know that anyone is, but I wouldn't say that either of those teams is a more attractive opponent than Connecticut, Louisville, or Georgetown. Pretty much even.

The current Big East won't exist in twelve months, so the point is moot. But, yeah, the 2014 ACC is going to be a step down from the 2012 Big East.
Don't downgrade NC State. They have one of the top freshman classes in the nation, several returning starters, a very good coach in Gottfried and an excellent BB facility. As far as Connecticut and Georgetown, as much as I have hated them both, I'm already putting them in the rearview mirror. Along with Louisville, they will become teams we may run up against in a tournament.

reedny said:
"We also have fan support in southern cities, but our base is spread across a larger geographic area. The Carolinas have a 'Cuse contingent, especially in the Raleigh/Durham area, and we have a good base in Florida. I'd like to hear from other posters what kind of crowds we'll get playing in SC (Clemson), Winston-Salem (WF), Blacksburg (V-Tech), Atlanta (G-Tech), Charlotesville (UVA) and the other tabacco road venues."

Almost all of the places you mentioned are 4 hours or less away from 90% of the SU fans in the South. We will be there if we can get tickets. Should be fairly easy for the ones mentioned above, but much more difficult for NC and Duke.

Don't downgrade NC State. They have one of the top freshman classes in the nation, several returning starters, a very good coach in Gottfried and an excellent BB facility. As far as Connecticut and Georgetown, as much as I have hated them both, I'm already putting them in the rearview mirror. Along with Louisville, they will become teams we may run up against in a tournament.

I think State could be quite good this year (thought they were good last year, too). Leslie is a great player. They haven't done much in the past two decades, though - we'll see where they go from here. High-level program returning to their rightful place or Cincinnati-level team with some great recruits and an aberrant couple of good seasons?

For our benefit, I hope it's the former. We could use another couple elite teams in our new league.

So in summation

2 games (most years) in NYC area in some meaningless Nov or Dec Made for TV tournament
1 game every year at MSG vs SJU
1 game either in DC or Cuse vs GTown
1 game every season vs one of these three (UConn, Nova or Louisville)

I'd probably amend the latter to Nova or Temple. Much as I hate to say it, I just don't see us playing UConn or Louisville again even on a semi-rotational basis.

Cheers,
Neil