Any of you notice that there is a #44 on the Women's team. | Syracusefan.com

Any of you notice that there is a #44 on the Women's team.

I don't think 44 is retired for basketball.

Plus: 44 in Football >>>>44 in Basketball.

I've always looked at 44 in basketball as a side note to the history in football. Don't get me wrong, John Wallace is one of my Top 5 favorite players.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I agree with two sentiments here. #1 We should be using 44 to reward special players and #2 there isn't anyone on the hoops team this season that I would feel comfortable giving it to.

We should be using 44 as a special status reward (almost like the C on jerseys in some sports) in all sports - regardless of whether there is any history in that particular sport. The problem with not using it is that as time continues to march on and the tremendous players that wore the number become older and older there are fewer fans that can recall why the number is so special. 25 years from now the majority of fans will not be able to recall having seen DC or JW wear it on the court and only the oldest fans will recall Jim Brown, Ernie Davis or Floyd Little having worn it on the gridiron. You need to continue to have great players wear it in order to have it retain its meaning. Of course, one could argue that the football program has been in a state wear no one has been deserving of wearing it and you really don't want the Athletic Department to turn it into a cheap recruiting tactic and offer it to 3 star recruits that we lose to Rutgers.

I think 44 should be part of SU's brand and the Athletic Department should treat it as such, including with the current teams. Maybe the number should be reserved and require some sort of departmental approval before it can be issued to a current player - regardless of sport.

I agree, but first we need someone that deserves the #44. Nerlen Noles???

Who is that, a prospective transfer from Florida State?

DaJuan Coleman, perhaps?

Since DC2 hates all comparisons to Derrick ... that's probably not a good idea.

He wore #15 at JD last season, and #32 his frosh and soph years.

I think 44 should be part of SU's brand and the Athletic Department should treat it as such, including with the current teams. Maybe the number should be reserved and require some sort of departmental approval before it can be issued to a current player - regardless of sport.

Once someone is worthy of it, it will be un-retired.

It's not retired in basketball; it's just sat unused since Winfred Walton jinxed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom