Any solutions? | Syracusefan.com

Any solutions?

SWC75

Bored Historian
I watched the Liberty-Coastal Carolina bowl game and saw a comedy at the end of it as Liberty was about to score the go-ahead TD but wanted to take as much time as possible to do so so when a runner got to the goal line, he stopped in his tracks. The CC defenders tried to pull him into the end zone while he tried to stay out of it. Eventually a Liberty tight end who hadn't gotten the memo tried to push his teammate into the end zone and his teammate's efforts to stay out of it caused the tight end to wind up on top of him, causing him to fall and lose the ball. I saw at least a couple of similar situations in the bowls or the NFL where it was suggested that the defense should let a team score to conserve time, although it never came to that.

Everyone assumed the Jets were tanking to get Trevor Lawrence and then the "blew it" by winning a couple of games. Will the Jags get Lawrence because they did a better job of tanking. People are now claiming that the Eagles tanked against the Redskins to get the #6 pick instead of #9 at the expense of the Giants, who were watching on TV, hoping they would win so the Giants could get into the playoffs. I have no sympathy for the Giants, a 6-10 hoping a division rival will put them in the playoffs. But it is a problem for the league and the game's image.

Do fans have a right to expect that players and teams will give their best effort for 60 minutes of every game? If they do, what can be done to give them an incentive to do so if pride and professionalism isn't enough?

As to conceding a score/not wanting to score yet, the only thing I could think of is a rule that 30 more seconds are run off the clock in a team that has or could take the lead scores with less than 2 minutes left in the game. I don't know if that would be enough but I don't know what else would have the potential to fix this.

An NBA-like Lottery could help the NFL tanking situation. Another thing that could be done, (good luck getting it approved) is to base each team's share of the TV contract on how many games they win. Divide the games won by the games played in the league during the regular season and that's your percent age of the TV money. The billionaires who own the teams wouldn't go broke but they wouldn't like getting the short end of the stick. Seth Goldberg on Orange Nation had another idea: instead of giving out draft picks in reverse order of the standings, alternate the order over a 32 year period. One team gets #1 this year, #2 the next, #3 the next, etc. Steve Infante suggested that wouldn't help competitive balance but Seth countered it would end tanking.

Anybody have any other ideas to 'keep the feet moving' in sports?

I would hesitate to fix what may not be broken. Tanking in the NFL isn't anywhere as bad as the NBA. One player can't change a franchise as much in football as it can in basketball. With regards to intentionally allowing a score or avoiding scoring, it seems ridiculous in the moment, but I don't think fans mind it as long as it's a strategy being used to try to win the game. If letting a team score in a tight game gives my team a better chance ro win, I want my team to do it. It's not that different than fouling a guy just past halfcourt in a basketball game when up 3 so they can't tie it with a buzzer beater.

If, in the opinion of the referee, a player intentionally stops his own “forward progress” for the purpose of delay of game, the referee may stop the clock, and the ball will be spotted where it was when play was stopped.

I would hesitate to fix what may not be broken. Tanking in the NFL isn't anywhere as bad as the NBA. One player can't change a franchise as much in football as it can in basketball. With regards to intentionally allowing a score or avoiding scoring, it seems ridiculous in the moment, but I don't think fans mind it as long as it's a strategy being used to try to win the game. If letting a team score in a tight game gives my team a better chance ro win, I want my team to do it. It's not that different than fouling a guy just past halfcourt in a basketball game when up 3 so they can't tie it with a buzzer beater.

I agree completely. I don't have a problem with it when you are talking about strategic decisions like that. It's just smart to me.

I love these kinds of thought exercises.

I would give every team that doesn't make the playoffs equal odds at every lottery pick.

I also think you want teams to improve the right way. That would mean by player development. So the worst teams could be granted an additional late sandwich draft pick to develop.

the More of Lawrence I saw the less of him that looked Pro ready.. He looked like ours do once the blocking broke down vs OSU..

If, in the opinion of the referee, a player intentionally stops his own “forward progress” for the purpose of delay of game, the referee may stop the clock, and the ball will be spotted where it was when play was stopped.

wait what?

then how would kneeling be allowed?

the More of Lawrence I saw the less of him that looked Pro ready.. He looked like ours do once the blocking broke down vs OSU..

Ive been saying all year that Lawrence needs another year...I believe he’s talented but he’s not the next biggest thing in NFL in my honest opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom