Anybody remember our last team that went 7 deep? | Syracusefan.com

Anybody remember our last team that went 7 deep?

Orangemen

All Conference
They had a pretty good season.

And regardless of James or Coleman's status, if we lose Rak this year, like we lost AO that year, this team is in a world of trouble just like that team was.

Going 7 deep and only having 7 players are completely different.

2007-08 we only had 7 scholarship players (4 of them freshman) after Devendorf blew out his knee. Then there were a couple of games Scoop was hurt and we had 6. Justin Thomas (pretty good for a walk on) played. Things didn't turn out so well that year unfortunately.

2007-08 we only had 7 scholarship players (4 of them freshman) after Devendorf blew out his knee. Then there were a couple of games Scoop was hurt and we had 6. Justin Thomas (pretty good for a walk on) played. Things didn't turn out so well that year unfortunately.

Andy ACL
Devo ACL
Scoop had a stress fracture
Even Justin Thomas slipped on some ice and dislocated a shoulder.

Paul Harris at the 2. eek!

They had a pretty good season.

And regardless of James or Coleman's status, if we lose Rak this year, like we lost AO that year, this team is in a world of trouble just like that team was.
I remember EVERY year we only went 7 deep. The argument amongst the fan base pre-internet were why did JB only play 7? I remember the excitement when Tony Scott came in launching bombs and thinking "See, I told ya!!!".Its only been recently the program has been playing a solid 8 , sometimes 9-deep rotation.

Boeheim only went 7 deep in six of his first ten years. He played almost 10 in 1986 (Michael Brown got heavy minutes but only played in half the games) but played 8 for the next decade (except for 1989, when he went back to 7).

Back to 7 in 1996, up to 9 in '97 (needed to try lots of guys, because nothing was working), back to 7 in '98, but has stayed with 8 or 9 every year since then, save for 2001 and 2010 (also 7).

The 36-year average is a shade over 8.

Am I the only one here who thinks McNamara can at least be a solid practice player?? Just be grateful we should get Coleman back by tourney time and we still may see James. The real issue here is whether or not Cooney will be productive as we are going to need to count on him more than ever. No six OT games please!