anyone catch the Billy Scharr reference? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

anyone catch the Billy Scharr reference?

MacDonald was a terrific leader - a very gutty player.

Will never forget that Peach Bowl - lots of fun in Atlanta.

I was young. My older cousin’s “McDonald impression” in the backyard always involved Mark getting absolutely lit up by an imaginary defender. True or not?

I was young. My older cousin’s “McDonald impression” in the backyard always involved Mark getting absolutely lit up by an imaginary defender. True or not?
I don't remember if he did get lit up in that game or not, but I do know, we would have lost had Coach Mac not pulled Billy Scharr, McDonald was probably the best back up quarterback SU ever had going back to the years of Rich King back in the early sixties.

Coach Mac had a nice 4-year stretch before leaving to the NFL. It's interesting that he had a different starting QB each year (McPherson, Philcox, Scharr, Graves), ranging from good to great. I have a clear remembrance of each one. Somehow my impression of McDonald is not as clear, even though I saw all the games he played. His style was not flashy and his stats pedestrian. I describe him as a real gamer who simply came in and made plays. The offense seemed to run much more fluidly with him. He definitely saved the '89 season, so I share all the admiration for him.

McDonald was a tough runner and surely took a few big hits, so that may be the image your cousin recalls.

I don't remember if he did get lit up in that game or not, but I do know, we would have lost had Coach Mac not pulled Billy Scharr, McDonald was probably the best back up quarterback SU ever had going back to the years of Rich King back in the early sixties.

He was a team captain. A really good player.

He was a team captain. A really good player.
Yes, if I recall, King bailed us out against Notre Dame on Thanksgiving Day back in 1963. That game was played in Yankee Stadium. We finished 8-2 that year and did not go to a bowl.

I will never forget the spring game realizing that a guy who never threw the ball in high school made up for it by not being very fast
And remains our highest rated recruit ever

Hard to not consider Philcox as the best backup QB. I mean he backed up a legend, and when he finally got his chance he did well and got to play 4 or so years in the NFL.

Hard to not consider Philcox as the best backup QB. I mean he backed up a legend, and when he finally got his chance he did well and got to play 4 or so years in the NFL.
Good point, but I never considered Philcox as a back up because the year he started he did so well so it kind of shadowed his back up role. Mike Kmetz also played a role. Then when he won the starting Job for the opener at Mississippi State, he got rocked.

Good point, but I never considered Philcox as a back up because the year he started he did so well so it kind of shadowed his back up role. Mike Kmetz also played a role. Then when he won the starting Job for the opener at Mississippi State, he got rocked.

I actually had to look it up. I didn’t realize Philcox lasted 9 years in the NFL. That’s a career.

In 1987 as McPherson’s backup, Philcox attempted only 9 passes. But in 1988 he did get us a rare win on the road at PSU, a 10-2 record, a final 12/13 ranking, and wins over 5 ranked teams.

I actually had to look it up. I didn’t realize Philcox lasted 9 years in the NFL. That’s a career.
In 1987 as McPherson’s backup, Philcox attempted only 9 passes. But in 1988 he did get us a rare win on the road at PSU, a 10-2 record, a final 12/13 ranking, and wins over 5 ranked teams.

Those two losses were to Ohio State at the Horseshoe and at Morgantown the year Major Harris led WVU to the national title game. I remember the PSU game was nationally televised on ESPN and unfortunately the same night as Van Halen played the Dome. My friends and I were really torn about watching the game or going to the concert. In the end, most of us figured it was better to watch a big concert live than a big game on TV. Mind you, this was the VH version after Sammy Hagar replaced David Lee Roth, so judge me if you will.
This was way before smartphones or even average people having cellphones, so it was largely impossible to check in on the score while at the concert -- which made this choice even harder. Anyway, late in the concert, Hagar announced between songs that SU won the football game. The crowd erupted. I was impressed that the band realized the significance of this to their Syracuse audience and made it a point to tell us.