Anyone check out the Saltine Warrior pub yet downtown? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone check out the Saltine Warrior pub yet downtown?

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
Gonna head on down and check it out tonight I think for the big revenge game. Anyone been there yet? Chow recommendations? Hope to see some of you august board denizens there for a high five or two!

its an alright place. the bar is nice, the decor leaves plenty to be desired. if i was to build that place i would have it looking like Varsity or at least have more stuff on the walls. pretty bare bones.

Gonna head on down and check it out tonight I think for the big revenge game. Anyone been there yet? Chow recommendations? Hope to see some of you august board denizens there for a high five or two!
been once was a bit bummed out about it. unless things changed they didnt have blue light which was really surprising for a cny bar. they advertise your own tap at your table. however there are only 2 tables total that have those. never had any food there so i could not comment on that however

I wasnt impressed at all with the place. I would rather go to Tully's or BWW. Agree with jcuse44 could use a lot more SU stuff. If you dont live downtown i wouldnt drive there.

Surprised at the bad reviews. I love it, most importantly its a damn good place to watch a game if you actually want to watch the game. You may see me there tonight.

Food is typical bar food but it is well above average, though I'd not expect much from the platters like burgers/sandwiches and stick to pizza/wings which are fantastic (though these debates are always highly subjective, I'd easily say top 5 in the city excluding tip hill. tipp hill destroys everyone in the wings department.)

Surprised at the bad reviews. I love it, most importantly its a damn good place to watch a game if you actually want to watch the game. You may see me there tonight.

Food is typical bar food but it is well above average, though I'd not expect much from the platters like burgers/sandwiches and stick to pizza/wings which are fantastic (though these debates are always highly subjective, I'd easily say top 5 in the city excluding tip hill. tipp hill destroys everyone in the wings department.)
cool, was hoping to hear something like this. I'll look for someone with a cigar hanging out of the side of his mouth ;)

I watched one of the Preseason NIT games there earlier this year and thought it was great. Tons of cuse fans there (although it was a Friday night), decent beer selection and huge TV's to watch the games on. Didn't have any food, but it looked good FWIW I'm not quite sure what those who were disappointed in the place were expecting when they went.

I think the previous expectations were too high for some folks, it's hard to put the bar in perspective because maintaining a pure sports bar in downtown is extremely difficult. There just aren't enough residents to support specialized bars yet, if its not a social party-fostering bar it usually fails downtown.

I watched the Pasqualoni Bowl there this past fall. Atmosphere was great. Pizza was actually good (may be too thin for some people). Great amount of beer choices. The taps at your table is kind of a novelty thing and its only a couple tables.

Love love LOVE how they put the sound up for the game. Can't stand being in a freaking sports bar while the game is on and they're playing Tears for Fears in the background

I watched the Stanford game there. It's nice. The decor is vey simple. Good selection of drafts. I would have liked to have tried one of the draft tables, but as was mentioned above there are only two of them and of course they were taken. The wings I ordered were excellent. Very hot and crispy.

The Saltine Warrior's worth a try.

Love love LOVE how they put the sound up for the game. Can't stand being in a freaking sports bar while the game is on and they're playing Tears for Fears in the background

a-%#*@ing-men.

I watched the Pasqualoni Bowl there this past fall. Atmosphere was great. Pizza was actually good (may be too thin for some people). Great amount of beer choices. The taps at your table is kind of a novelty thing and its only a couple tables.

you watch your mouth when discussing tears for fears!!!!!

Ha, classic. I hate when bars do this. I love 80's rock more than anyone but not during SU games.

They were on the list for the armory square bar crawl back in September, but when we got there they weren't letting anyone under 22 in, although the place was empty. It was really bizarre since probably 60-70% of the people on the crawl were 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bars that have music on during games aren't sports bars. ;)

They just plain old suck. It's a man law. Never return to a bar that plays music over the game. Ever. :)

44cuse

I make sure the juke box is turned off 5 minutes before the game starts.. Anytime someone walks up and asks if he can play music during the game, he is greeted by a loud "hell no!" from everyone sitting at the bar

Saltine isnt terrible. All im sayin is that if you want to be called a sports bar you need MORE TVS, and if you want to be known as a Syracuse Orange bar... you need more freakin Orange stuff. Not too much to ask. I know the owner of Harry's is the owner. I think this was his attempt to have a good sports bar without underage drunk college idiots ruining his bar. The wings are pretty solid and for a bar the pizza is pretty good. I asked the chef to make salt and pepper wings which he had never done and he did a great job with them. I told him he should put them on the menu and he said he would, but i haven't been back to see if that happened.

i was there plus side plenty of room to roam, decnt wings, good place to watch the games.
minus side really poor decor whould not be named saltine warrior---virtually no su paraphenalia on the walls no history-- poorly done decor. does not have a true su atmosphere

Saltine isnt terrible. All im sayin is that if you want to be called a sports bar you need MORE TVS, and if you want to be known as a Syracuse Orange bar... you need more freakin Orange stuff. Not too much to ask.

There's like 15 TVs in a relatively small bar that is painted with a bunch of orange and blue with custom orange & blue colored booths! Is this the same bar we're talking about? Do you want the floors, walls and ceiling all painted in deep orange? You do realize how awkward that would look, right? Sure he could go all Tullys-mode and cover the walls with SU stuff... but that isn't exactly cheap, its hard to find good decorations that don't appear mass-produced and tacky, and who is looking at the walls during the games anyways!

He also opened the place just before NFL season which is a big chunk of his start-up business so he started off with a bunch of NFL stuff hanging around. Besides, that memorabilia/decor kinda stuff is built up over time, you cant expect a small business to sprout already fully decked out.

Went to a great sports bar in Pensacola once that had individual speakers for each table. During football games, they'd have TV's on a bunch of different games, but you could have the speakers at your table set to the game you were watching. Just a fantastic idea. Can't believe more places don't do this.

Went to a great sports bar in Pensacola once that had individual speakers for each table. During football games, they'd have TV's on a bunch of different games, but you could have the speakers at your table set to the game you were watching. Just a fantastic idea. Can't believe more places don't do this.

Recovery sports bar at Turning Stone has the sound boxes you speak of. Great idea

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom