Anyone else notice this? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else notice this?

Marsh01

Living Legend
How many times per game does James or Brandon (more James than Brandon) have a three point shot where the defender is flying at them and they NEVER pump fake the guy? I mean never. I counted at least 3 times last night where if James just did a small pump fake the guy would have either gone flying right by him or he could have jumped into him and got 3 foul shots.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or not.

How many times per game does James or Brandon (more James than Brandon) have a three point shot where the defender is flying at them and they NEVER pump fake the guy? I mean never. I counted at least 3 times last night where if James just did a small pump fake the guy would have either gone flying right by him or he could have jumped into him and got 3 foul shots.

I've noticed it and commented about it whenever I've watched our games with someone else.:bang:

Great observation!

(Bobby Knight was so big on this...would point it out in seemingly every game he broadcasted...so much so that I began thinking "is that the only skill he knows"? Haha.)

See, now that is a suggestion for improving the offense that could be implemented immediately. Point it out, have the team run some drills to practice it, and then go out and utilize it.

It especially would help address a larger point of emphasis which I believe needs work, and that is driving to the basket more. Many times, you either get a bucket, or a foul (sometimes both)...yes, mistakes can be made while doing this too, but I'll take mistakes resulting from aggressively attacking the hoop on offense.

pump fakes work so well against us that i find it impossible to believe that someone isn't saying "hey, maybe we should try...aww f'it, i'll just drift or fall away instead"

Great observation!

(Bobby Knight was so big on this...would point it out in seemingly every game he broadcasted...so much so that I began thinking "is that the only skill he knows"? Haha.)

See, now that is a suggestion for improving the offense that could be implemented immediately. Point it out, have the team run some drills to practice it, and then go out and utilize it.

It especially would help address a larger point of emphasis which I believe needs work, and that is driving to the basket more. Many times, you either get a bucket, or a foul (sometimes both)...yes, mistakes can be made while doing this too, but I'll take mistakes resulting from aggressively attacking the hoop on offense.

Teams that leave James a sliver of space to shoot you almost always see a defender flying out to get a hand in his face at the last second. Its so close that I always am hoping they foul him on the shot.

i thought carter williams was hit across the arms about 2 to go. he just didn't fall to the ground like thomas did when jerami brushed him.

Great observation!

(It especially would help address a larger point of emphasis which I believe needs work, and that is driving to the basket more. Many times, you either get a bucket, or a foul (sometimes both)...yes, mistakes can be made while doing this too, but I'll take mistakes resulting from aggressively attacking the hoop on offense.

Absolutely. Another possible benefit (especially against zone) is the collapse of the defense that leads to wide open, step-in threes. My favorite play of the game was Brandon's quick, decisive drive into the zone and then his pass to Southerland on the opposite side. It was a perfect drive and kick that yielded a justified three point attempt...not an off-balance three off a curl, or a step back bomb... a real, square to the basket, three point attempt.

In my head, the "very good" version of BT would be going to the line 7-8 times a game (double what he averages now). This would be one way of getting there. And, even if he can't draw the foul, it would allow him to penetrate and hit a foul line jumper or explode at the rim.

Anything that gets us either 1) more FT attempts or 2) cleaner / squared up looks is much needed for this team.

This was in Bud's q & a with coach Hopp; "“When it comes to pump fakes and stuff, you can do drills all day long. We do up-and-unders and ball fakes and fake-right-and-go-lefts. We do all those things. Believe me, we teach it and we work on it every day..."
http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2013/02/poliquin_mike_hopkins_the_syra.html

It disheartening that the coaches claim to coach pump fakes and much more, yet the players don't execute during the game.

Cooney used one, probably one of the few I've seen this season, and it worked. The defender flew past and opened up a lane you could send a truck through. Cooney took a few dribbles in and dumped it off for Baye. But after that he hit a 3 and was never seen again.

Cooney used one, probably one of the few I've seen this season, and it worked. The defender flew past and opened up a lane you could send a truck through. Cooney took a few dribbles in and dumped it off for Baye. But after that he hit a 3 and was never seen again.
You left out the part about how he regressed to his fading-self on the next 3-point attempt.

You left out the part about how he regressed to his fading-self on the next 3-point attempt.
That's a strength issue that will be cured in time. He was curling off of a screen, coming toward the top of the key. It takes a lot of strength to go straight up after the catch on that play.

cooney is only shooting 28% deep. i don't want to see him launch another single trey unless he's wide open with both puppies planted and shoulders square. and even then i'll still wince.

I was just pointing out he used a shot fake and it was glorious.

Absolutely right.
Nor do we fake passes one way to freeze a defender and open a passing angle and then hit a cutter (because there's no one cutting).
And pardon me for pointing this out, but isnt this a coaching issue?

I was just pointing out he used a shot fake and it was glorious.
You also pointed out that he got no play after his make. Whereas, it was after another all-too-predictable-bad-form miss that he made his way to the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom