Anyone see the new recruiting rules | Syracusefan.com

Anyone see the new recruiting rules

The dead period coincides with the bowl season. I bet some schools that are preparing for BCS bowls feel that they get hurt in recruiting by schools who aren't planning for games.

Also, the 8 hours of weights/film seems to be in addition to the 20 for practice, is that what it means? If so, football is up to 28 "mandatory" hours now. It's a step in the right direction to acknowledge that no D1 football player only does 20 hours of football related activity each week.

Smart on this point...
Allowing schools to pay for meals for up to four family members who accompany a recruit on an official visit.

Isn't the Duke game on 1/10? Does this mean people who have scheduled visits during the new dead period now have to cancel them?

Effective immediately.

The extended winter dead period I think is screwy. Why not just move up signing day.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=9904364&src=desktop
Moving up signing day will be the last they they do. It would deny the kids who want their fifteen minutes of fame from shifting ther early verbal commits and getting more coverage by reporters television and networks like ESPN which cover these commits and sell commercial time while doing it.They won't kill the golden goose or even put it on a diet.

Isn't the Duke game on 1/10? Does this mean people who have scheduled visits during the new dead period now have to cancel them?

North Carolina game. We had some recruits coming. Better get you're recruiting done early with the new rule.

duke game is the 31st, but we had a few officials scheduled for the UNC game on 1/10. i assume in person recruiting means official visits as well, or is it just coaches doing in home visits at the kids home/school? that was a pretty live time for us(and everyone else), even when we preparing for bowl games

I think the rule means you can't recruit off campus, so the kids can still come on their visits.

I think the rule means you can't recruit off campus, so the kids can still come on their visits.

after thinking about it some more that's what i was thinking as well. doesn't make sense that official visits couldn't be held. you can only take officials during your senior season, and they are in season Sept - Nov. Really only leaves Dec and January for visits.

after thinking about it some more that's what i was thinking as well. doesn't make sense that official visits couldn't be held. you can only take officials during your senior season, and they are in season Sept - Nov. Really only leaves Dec and January for visits.

Dead Period — Coaches are not permitted to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by recruits or to make phone calls to recruits.

Dead Period — Coaches are not permitted to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by recruits or to make phone calls to recruits.

well there goes that.

we really better accelerate our recruiting process then because right now it seems like we are already far behind

duke game is the 31st, but we had a few officials scheduled for the UNC game on 1/10. i assume in person recruiting means official visits as well, or is it just coaches doing in home visits at the kids home/school? that was a pretty live time for us(and everyone else), even when we preparing for bowl games

No. The Duke game is 2/1 and I think the only commit planning on visiting then was Rodney. They had scheduled some of the others to take officials for the Pitt game 1/19. The only ones I can think of that need to be rescheduled are Edouard and Erv.

Glad we decided to wait until 2014 to get recruits on campus!

isnt it weird to change recruiting rules that effect recruiting in the current year only a few weeks away?

isnt it weird to change recruiting rules that effect recruiting in the current year only a few weeks away?

It's very strange. Especially if scheduled visits for Jan 10/11 can't happen. I'd imagine schools and kids all over the country will be scrambling a bit to reschedule. But then there's only 3 visit weekends before signing day coming off break. It doesn't make a lot of sense to eliminate that weekend.

i understand trying to give kids a break, but some kids probably dont want to come during season, games, holidays and now their options are very limited.