Archie Miller's Dayton Strategy Against Syrause | Syracusefan.com

Archie Miller's Dayton Strategy Against Syrause

iommi

Living Legend
He said on Mike & Mike that they need to get back and stop transition.

Even more interesting, he said that they will run and gun and try to beat us down the floor so that we can't set up the zone. We are usually pretty good at floor balance, so this tempo would be very interesting. To me, if they try to play fast, that would help us because we have gotten better in transition. Also, if they try to play fast, it could lead to Dayton turnovers, which would also play into our hands.

Thoughts?

Those are just simple amorphous, pointless assertions that get said during interviews. I don't place much stock in them. Besides, everyone knows you push the pace to try to score before the defense sets up, regardless of the defense they're playing. And you always, from day one in practice, preach hustling back on D ahead of the ball.

How many teams try and beat the zone up the court? How many succeed?

If they do beat the guards up the court and drive the rim, they'll have a shot blocking center or Uber athletic wing player running full speed to swat the shot. It's sound in theory but very rarely transpires in a successful fashion. More times than not it ends up with a shot pinned against the backboard and a run out the other direction.

What they should do is just get the ball into the painted area, just inside the foul line. Works every time.

3zone5.gif

This is going to be a tough game...a big mistake to sell Dayton short.

This is going to be like one of those mob movies where the younger brother of the big mob boss (Sean) is abducted and beaten to a pulp to send a message. Archie sleeps with the fish.

I heard that too and despite evidence to the contrary I still think it is dangerous for any team to get into a running game with SU. If UD wants a chance they should try for a game in the 50's. If Trevor hits 4-8 it may not matter what they try to do offensively. Dayton is not a great 3 pt shooting team but they have enough guys that can hit the shot that if they get hot it will be trouble.

I would never talk about my gameplan during an interview. JB pays attention to everything that is said. I would just say dumb coach speak and praise my team's performance from its previous game. We gotta hit shots, keep them shooting jump shots, keep ourselves out of foul trouble.

Miller didn't tip his complete plan, but he gave some information to JB that will be helpful for him preparing today in practice. I just hope Miller is telling the truth and he wants to actually play fast.

What did he say about turnovers? Does he think a lot of turnovers will help or hurt his team?

But all joking aside, we saw what turnovers can do to a team yesterday. They wrecked WMU and will wreck us if we are not careful. Dayton does not turn the ball over very often. We should be content with a slow, low scoring game where we protect the ball and play good defense.

i was a little surprised to see in the box score that the turnovers were just a +1. (wmu 13 and su 12. )

Everyone wants to run if they can get an advantage situation numbers wise that is hard to get in half court sets. I think its basic coach speak with one or two nuggets of truth in there.

1. He like many other coaches fears us in transition no matter what the numbers say or how little we have run this year. When the game plan has been to run (a few times UNC comes to mind) we did it very well.
2. He thinks playing a majority of the game against or 2-3 is something he is not looking forward to. They will have prepared mainly to beat OSU who plays pressure/help m2m almost exclusively.

Still this game IMO comes down to Dayton needing to do things to beat us. They need to limit TO's and when they do make sure they aren't live ball TO's. They also need to hit enough from the outside early on to stretch us out which then means they can attack the glass better on misses. I also believe that they must keep us out of the paint and their problem there is that when we are clicking all of our guys are capable of hurting you in the paint sans Cooney. (Who possibly could but has not really looked to consistently drive and make teams pay for overplaying him.)

Funny, I would think Dayton would rather slow the pace and try to limit possessions and shorten the game. I think if it's in the 70s we should have no problem; it's a game in 50s that would benefit Dayton.

This team, outside of Ennis, was built for the transition game. Bring it.

Of note on Ennis he's transitioning into being an aggressive offensive player and becoming more of a risk taker. Remember he is a freshman, a smart one, who took the attitude and style of mistake free bball to heart and it worked great for 25 games. But once we started losing and Grant was hurt the coaches must have told him to never mind the mistakes so much if he felt he had good openings to try and push advantages. He's done that much better of late and I thought after the first 8min of yesterdays game he did his best job of the season at pushing good advantages while also playing very solid bball. Early in the game he made some poor passes trying to get the ball to covered guys or open guys through too much traffic. Most of the time the ball bounced our way and didn't hurt us, even helped us once. I think Ennis was so good to start his career that many forget he's still going through that freshman process and he's still going to become a much better player. Once thing that is often the case with freshman that get a lot of playing time . . . . . . they play their best ball in the NCAAT. When our backcourt plays well we are almost unbeatable and they did that yesterday. If Cooney can continue to make shots and Ennis turns it up to this new level that I have seen him striving toward we are winning it all.

CJ and Jerami are more dangerous on the run. Miller is talking out his ass, with the exception of the beat the zone down the floor. Getting back on defense is every good coach's priority.

Example: Our gameplan to beating KU in 2003 was to beat their transition game and sprint back into the zone. It worked very well in that first half. They had no easy transition buckets. Marquette allowed KU to run at will and played zero defense. KU beat them up and down the floor. That was their M.O. JB took that away.

This is not accurate. They fall about in the middle for D1 teams. They turn the ball over on 18% of possessions.
Oh, based this on # of turnovers each player had -- individually they are better than SU's players it seemed. Maybe as a whole or per minute they turn it over more?

i was a little surprised to see in the box score that the turnovers were just a +1. (wmu 13 and su 12. )
Yeah, I think it was the early turnovers that killed WMU. Late in the game we made those numbers seem a lot closer than they were.

I heard that too and despite evidence to the contrary I still think it is dangerous for any team to get into a running game with SU. If UD wants a chance they should try for a game in the 50's. If Trevor hits 4-8 it may not matter what they try to do offensively. Dayton is not a great 3 pt shooting team but they have enough guys that can hit the shot that if they get hot it will be trouble.
Dayton is a very good 3 point shooting team