Are Lydon's Confidence Issues The Fault of His Teammates? | Syracusefan.com

Are Lydon's Confidence Issues The Fault of His Teammates?

MarketCuse

Scout Team
Too often this year I saw favoritism from his teammates; neglecting to hit him while posting up and while open on the perimeter.

He has never suffered from confidence issues IMO until I saw his teammates actively avoiding giving him the ball. Not sure if there were off court reasons or what but it was definitely happening on the court.

It's not an excuse but I just cannot understand how he has seemingly lost confidence while getting better.

Sometimes the little things can make the biggest difference.

He was aggressive today. Too much throughout the year he would pump fake when he was open. Honeslty we saw too many passes from Lydon this year - I don't fault anyone for not feeding him enough

i think gillon is major factor in this. you have a shoot first point guard who doesn't recognize that he should be the 4th option. not the 1st or 2nd option. he's blatantly ignores lydon imho.

lydon should be the 2nd option.

but I've also railed on lydon for weeks now that he just doesn't have a scores mentality. he should be averaging 15 shots per game, and DEMANDING the ball but he doesn't.

Last edited:
People are making too much of this... the answer is simple. He takes way too long to get his shot off. Last year it was cool because no one knew whom he was and Mal, MG and Cooney took all the pressure off him so basically he had about 15 minutes for every shot. This year he always has a man near him as soon as he catches and that's enough to spook him.

My non-expert technical analysis is that he starts his shot at his hip and brings it up as a part of his shooting motion... given that he's so tall this causes his shot to take forever to get off.

Too often this year I saw favoritism from his teammates; neglecting to hit him while posting up and while open on the perimeter.

He has never suffered from confidence issues IMO until I saw his teammates actively avoiding giving him the ball. Not sure if there were off court reasons or what but it was definitely happening on the court.

It's not an excuse but I just cannot understand how he has seemingly lost confidence while getting better.

So pump fakes while wide open are because of confidence issues resulting from his teammates supposedly "actively avoiding giving him the ball"?

confused.gif

No. He's gotten plenty of opportunities to make his presence felt during the late stretch of the season, but opted not to make an impact on the game. If I pass up as many shots as he does, he wouldn't get the ball either, because you know what he won't do with it. He has a greenlight that players are envious of.

So pump fakes while wide open are because of confidence issues resulting from his teammates supposedly "actively avoiding giving him the ball"?

confused.gif

Just so I am clear... You think I was writing about pump fakes? I better go read what I wrote.

confused.gif

I would think excessive pump fakes might occur with a lack of confidence?

This thread was about trying to understand where his lack of confidence has come from and not a discussion of it's effect.

There are a hundred unoriginal discussions about his pump fakes, maybe you should go 'contribute' to them. I'd rather speculate on the cause in this thread.

People are making too much of this... the answer is simple. He takes way too long to get his shot off. Last year it was cool because no one knew whom he was and Mal, MG and Cooney took all the pressure off him so basically he had about 15 minutes for every shot. This year he always has a man near him as soon as he catches and that's enough to spook him.

My non-expert technical analysis is that he starts his shot at his hip and brings it up as a part of his shooting motion... given that he's so tall this causes his shot to take forever to get off.

He has a quick enough release while in transition. Maybe it's a fault of his stand-still shooting motion but I still think confidence is a big part of the problem.

No. He's gotten plenty of opportunities to make his presence felt during the late stretch of the season, but opted not to make an impact on the game. If I pass up as many shots as he does, he wouldn't get the ball either, because you know what he won't do with it. He has a greenlight that players are envious of.

I don't disagree and I think he has gotten the passes lately that he wasn't getting earlier. I'm just trying to understand why his confidence has taken a hit and I think I could be right.

i think gillon is major factor in this. you have a shoot first point guard who doesn't recognize that he should be the 4th option. not the 1st or 2nd option. he's blatantly ignores lydon imho.

lydon should be the 2nd option.

but I've also railed on lydon for weeks now that he just doesn't have a scores mentality. he should be averaging 15 shots per game, and DEMANDING the ball but he doesn't.

Lydon gets a touch almost every single possession and does a pump fake at the top of the key at least 10 times a game, he then takes three steps to his right and dishes the ball to somebody else, usually Gillon and he or whomever receives the ball has to take a shot in worse position than Lydon was originally. Lydon is 100% to blame.

I don't disagree and I think he has gotten the passes lately that he wasn't getting earlier. I'm just trying to understand why his confidence has taken a hit and I think I could be right.
Not that much has changed since last year. He was hesitant last season too. Ppl complained that he wouldn't look for his shot. Just there were many more options last year and he was the 3rd-4th option. Now that ppl want him to be the guy it becomes an issue.

Just so I am clear... You think I was writing about pump fakes? I better go read what I wrote.

confused.gif

I would think excessive pump fakes might occur with a lack of confidence?

This thread was about trying to understand where his lack of confidence has come from and not a discussion of it's effect.

There are a hundred unoriginal discussions about his pump fakes, maybe you should go 'contribute' to them. I'd rather speculate on the cause in this thread.
I'll spell it out for you: even if we all agree that Lydon's teammates are intentionally not passing him the ball, I think the premise that Lydon is lacking confidence because of that is mind-numbingly dumb. Jmo

Lydon hasn't lost his confidence, he's just deferring to everyone. Battle and White in particular.

This is entirely possible, I'm just creating a discussion. I don't know for sure, I do think he was more aggressive last year and early this year.

Maybe they aren't getting him the ball more, is because they know when they do, he will pass up a good shot, so what is the point?

I'll spell it out for you: even if we all agree that Lydon's teammates are intentionally not passing him the ball, I think the premise that Lydon is lacking confidence because of that is mind-numbingly dumb. Jmo

Of all the "mind-numbingly" dumb things said on here, I wouldn't put what I said in the top 10. ;-) Players lose confidence when their teammates neglect to give them the ball, that happens. It's a possibility.

I wouldn't pass him the ball either. Can't take the pump fakes.

He should be told he needs to get three 3 point shots blocked every game. He has the potential to be a fantastic offensive player, but not the mentality.

A year ago I would have said nba lock after this year. Now I don't know. I really can't see how he would ever get a three point shot off in the nba.

Why are my posts constantly flagged for moderator approval?

Popcorn and soda

This is entirely possible, I'm just creating a discussion. I don't know for sure, I do think he was more aggressive last year and early this year.

Go back and watch the first Pitt game last year. He played like 30 minutes and attempted two shots. This isn't new. He was our 4th option last year. This year he's been our 2nd for most of the year.

He puts his hands up when wide open, and Gillon never passes. When he does get the ball it is in rough positions. JG lost the game, period. In my mind, but everyone can have their own thoughts. No way we should have lost. Gillon isn't good.

Lydon IS getting the ball. He just isn't doing anything with it but passing. He has passed up many open looks in the last month. He seems hesitant to take perimeter shots unless he has a ton of open space. He needs to work on shooting more quickly and through smaller windows. You're going to get so much space most of the time.

He puts his hands up when wide open, and Gillon never passes. When he does get the ball it is in rough positions. JG lost the game, period. In my mind, but everyone can have their own thoughts. No way we should have lost. Gillon isn't good.

Gillon is a great backup point guard who can score the ball and could speed up a game. He is not a great primary point guard especially in a zone defense.

Howard isn't good and Gillon isn't great.

I think he's been getting frozen out all year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom