Are there any Independent Lax programs the ACC could add to get 6 teams? | Syracusefan.com

Are there any Independent Lax programs the ACC could add to get 6 teams?

Alsacs

Living Legend
It wouldn't even matter if the program wasn't good. If they would join the conference as an associate member the ACC could get its autobid back.

The Big Ten teams are starting to game the RPI. 5 in top 11 is a joke.

An associate member would be fine. The top ACC teams play hard schedules anyway one tomato can won't kill the RPI.

What was the reason for not adding Hopkins?

I don't think the ACC pursued it if I had to guess.
Yeah, but it seems like a natural, no? Maryland leaves, so you pick up Hopkins.

I don't think they could ever reconcile a separate deal between Hop and ESPN with the ACC's grant of rights. That and the fact that with UMD a member at the time Hop began looking for a conference affiliation, there was no perceived value in adding Hop as UMD brought the MD recruiting market. Of course UMD leaves in 2014 and Hop joins the Big in 2016.

Yeah, but it seems like a natural, no? Maryland leaves, so you pick up Hopkins.
I agree. Considering Hopkins already played SU, UVA, and Duke annually. All it would have necessitated adding ND and UNC annually to their schedule it would have been easy.

Hop had to add Rutgers, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State as they didn't play those schools annually.

ACC should have gone after Hop.
I would like to add any 6th team. The conference is deep no matter what.

It wouldn't even matter if the program wasn't good. If they would join the conference as an associate member the ACC could get its autobid back.

The Big Ten teams are starting to game the RPI. 5 in top 11 is a joke.

An associate member would be fine. The top ACC teams play hard schedules anyway one tomato can won't kill the RPI.

I might be wrong but I thought I read in another thread that the NCAA no longer allows a team to join a conference for anything less than full membership.

The only other independent teams are NJIT and Cleveland St.

If the ACC didn't consider Hop, they sure as heck aren't adding either one of those.

ACC LAX has been around since 1954. They've managed just fine without an AQ.

I might be wrong but I thought I read in another thread that the NCAA no longer allows a team to join a conference for anything less than full membership.
Theoretically the ACC could add a school like Hobart or Denver who isn't D1 in anything but lacrosse and get around that rule.

As Hopkins isn't D1 for football or any sport but lacrosse.

There are Lax programs out there the conference could add.

You can have affiliate members but the ACC has indicated they have no interested in doing that.

If UNC doesn't get an at-large this year. Expansion could atleast be discussed as the conference tournament would be nothing but an RPI thing.

I agree. Considering Hopkins already played SU, UVA, and Duke annually. All it would have necessitated adding ND and UNC annually to their schedule it would have been easy.

Hop had to add Rutgers, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State as they didn't play those schools annually.

ACC should have gone after Hop.
I would like to add any 6th team. The conference is deep no matter what.

You got two out of three, Hopkins plays UNC not Duke annually.

The ACC wont due associate members so the only way were getting back to 6 is if Pitt decides to start a program in the next 5-10 years.

If UNC doesn't get an at-large this year. Expansion could atleast be discussed as the conference tournament would be nothing but an RPI thing.

That's how it was before the ACC added SU and ND, they only had the AQ for that short period and they really don't care that much about it because as UNC will show if you win the ACC tournament and your over .500 your going to get in 9 times out of 10.

That's how it was before the ACC added SU and ND, they only had the AQ for that short period and they really don't care that much about it because as UNC will show if you win the ACC tournament and your over .500 your going to get in 9 times out of 10.
Considering UNC runs the conference do you think them getting snubbed would atleast start a discussion for a 6th team?
As with an autobid UNC is in now.

Considering UNC runs the conference do you think them getting snubbed would atleast start a discussion for a 6th team?
As with an autobid UNC is in now.

Perhaps but it would have to be a pretty blatant snub, were talking SU 07 NCAA tourney level snub. UNC put themselves in such a hole that if they do get snubbed there going to be hard pressed to blame anyone but themselves. All that said based on wins over us an ND this weekend its hard to see them getting left out unless there is absolute chaos this weekend and even then that chaos would probably hurt other teams first.

By the time we needed a 6th team, JHU had already given in to the begging and pleading of the Twerps to join the B1G as their 6th team. The Twerps are their biggest rival and JHU would do whatever was/is/will be necessary to keep them on the schedule. I imagine they have a prioritized list of who would be dropped from their schedule at the various points whenever other teams would need to be added.

JHU will stay put for as long as they're permitted to be D-1 for lax only. JHU and 'Bart have exemptions in lax, Hartwick has one for soccer, and there are supposed to be a couple for ice hockey (Union?). Supposedly JHU has the money set aside to go D-1 in everything if their exemption is revoked. My guess is they would first ask to join the Ivies, and would join the Patriot League if the Ivies say no. I could see a package deal for the Ivies to accept JHU on the south end and 'Gate on the north.

By the time we needed a 6th team, JHU had already given in to the begging and pleading of the Twerps to join the B1G as their 6th team. The Twerps are their biggest rival and JHU would do whatever was/is/will be necessary to keep them on the schedule. I imagine they have a prioritized list of who would be dropped from their schedule at the various points whenever other teams would need to be added.

JHU will stay put for as long as they're permitted to be D-1 for lax only. JHU and 'Bart have exemptions in lax, Hartwick has one for soccer, and there are supposed to be a couple for ice hockey (Union?). Supposedly JHU has the money set aside to go D-1 in everything if their exemption is revoked. My guess is they would first ask to join the Ivies, and would join the Patriot League if the Ivies say no. I could see a package deal for the Ivies to accept JHU on the south end and 'Gate on the north.

The Ivies will not condescend to add to their number --certainly not Colgate, but not Hopkins, either. The brand is too valuable to share.

As the sport expands, someday another ACC team will take up the sport --Pitt, Louisville, maybe GT. That's the way we will get to six teams and a tournament with an automatic qualifier.

UMASS full member in the ACC.
Sorry, but that idea's even worse than proposing UConn. They seem to have had problems competing in the MAC and A-10 let alone in a P-5 situation.

Sorry, but that idea's even worse than proposing UConn. They seem to have had problems competing in the MAC and A-10 let alone in a P-5 situation.
Whipple has got a program building in football, I think they're to surprise some good teams. They have the basketball hall of fame in Mass and have had some success when Cal was there. D1 lax. Mass is also an important state and BC doesn't really have much gravity there. It would lock down New England for the ACC as I don't think the B1G would take UCONN.