Are we too passive in 1st half of games? | Syracusefan.com

Are we too passive in 1st half of games?

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
it seems like in the 1st half we come out more deliberate. Passing the ball around, trying to get it inside, working the ball to try to get an open shot. In theory that sounds good but it just doesn't work with this team.

In the 2nd half once we're behind we're aggressive, more one on one play, more drives, more uptempo. That's where this team thrives. I wish we would come out of the gates like that.

Maybe they're saving that style of play for 40 minutes for the tournament!

it seems like in the 1st half we come out more deliberate. Passing the ball around, trying to get it inside, working the ball to try to get an open shot. In theory that sounds good but it just doesn't work with this team.

In the 2nd half once we're behind we're aggressive, more one on one play, more drives, more uptempo. That's where this team thrives. I wish we would come out of the gates like that.

What tournament? You have already said that the bubble talk is over.

What tournament? You have already said that the bubble talk is over.

Cuz I didn't think they'd beat duke and would be on a 5 game losing streak after Sunday. Guess I'm not allowed to be wrong !

Cuz I didn't think they'd beat duke and would be on a 5 game losing streak after Sunday. Guess I'm not allowed to be wrong !
You are allowed to be wrong. It's just strange that you would come on the board and tell the rest of us not to talk about the bubble because you had given up. The rest of us hadn't.

You are allowed to be wrong. It's just strange that you would come on the board and tell the rest of us not to talk about the bubble because you had given up. The rest of us hadn't.

Just stop...it's called emotion and venting after a deflating defeat. Take it with a grain of salt...and, don't take yourself so seriously. :)

We're clearly better when we play this style. I wish that we'd play this style as often as possible.

I think White is generally a first half player, and with him being cold/shut down in the last few games, no one else has been picking up the pace.

Yes, and it's because our guards (notably at the point/floor general position) pass the ball around with seemingly no purpose...a bunch of side to side fluff or just standing in place dribbling the ball for 10 seconds or so wasting time. JB all season has tried to get his point across to JG, but he just often appears hesitant for whatever reason. When Gillon is aggressive, and actually runs the offense like a floor general needs to, our results are night and day.

Our offense in the first half yesterday was stagnant, etc. and only had 25 points. Duke is not a stellar defensive team, at least not statistically. We ended up with 78.

The offense we try to run in first halves of games is atrocious and does not fit the skills of our players.

Lydon should not be anchored on the low block. We should not be forcing passes to him there unless he has a true mismatch. He's not going to score from 12-15 out, so get him posted up way out there makes no sense. He should be setting the screens and popping out, or flashing to the lane. Roberson shouldn't be working the perimeter, he should be on the blocks/baseline to hit the glass.

Battle/Gillon are better with space. Let them create more 1-on-1. Spread the floor more instead of clogging the paint.

When we open things up in the 2nd halves, we have more success. That needs to happen much, much earlier.

I had no problem with the first half game plan. Lydon was wide open on the block. We just suck at passing it there and that's on the guards tbh. I do agree we should have driven more because Allen and Kennard can't defend.

It certainly couldn't be because JB and the other coaches make any adjustments at halftime, because we all know that all JB does is roll the ball out there and let them play!

We might be a little cautious of early foul trouble too.

I had no problem with the first half game plan. Lydon was wide open on the block. We just suck at passing it there and that's on the guards tbh. I do agree we should have driven more because Allen and Kennard can't defend.
He was WIDE OPEN on the block! One time he flipped his lid at Gillon.

The offense we try to run in first halves of games is atrocious and does not fit the skills of our players.

Lydon should not be anchored on the low block. We should not be forcing passes to him there unless he has a true mismatch. He's not going to score from 12-15 out, so get him posted up way out there makes no sense. He should be setting the screens and popping out, or flashing to the lane. Roberson shouldn't be working the perimeter, he should be on the blocks/baseline to hit the glass.

Battle/Gillon are better with space. Let them create more 1-on-1. Spread the floor more instead of clogging the paint.

When we open things up in the 2nd halves, we have more success. That needs to happen much, much earlier.
You cannot have Howard and Robey on the floor at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom