Arizona St | Syracusefan.com

Arizona St

They are legit, two really good guards, a good big inside, a good coach.
It's funny how the longer a season goes, the more some teams can get exposed. I'm not singling ASU out. But those kids have never won anything. There is often a learning curve.

It's funny how the longer a season goes, the more some teams can get exposed. I'm not singling ASU out. But those kids have never won anything. There is often a learning curve.

That is what they will have to overcome, but talent wise they are as good as anyone not named Duke.

I’m not sure why people keep bringing up Duke as the team to beat. I think it’s fairly obvious Villanova is the best team right now and it’s not close.
While you are right about Nova, the key word in your post is "Now". Wait for the end of the season to find out how good Duke is. Remember they have a young team.

While you are right about Nova, the key word in your post is "Now". Wait for the end of the season to find out how good Duke is. Remember they have a young team.

I remember people saying the same thing last year at the beginning of the season and after they won the ACC tournament.

Eh, not convinced.

I start taking Pac-12 teams seriously as title contenders on the Saturday morning of Final Four weekend when one of them has won its way there, and not a moment before.

*Well, 11 of them. I'll give Arizona credit for being a true contender most seasons.

I start taking Pac-12 teams seriously as title contenders on the Saturday morning of Final Four weekend when one of them has won its way there, and not a moment before.

*Well, 11 of them. I'll give Arizona credit for being a true contender most seasons.
Exactly. Beat Arizona first then we can talk

Oregon?

2017 Final Four
2016 Elite Eight

In 2016 they get extra bonus points for beating Duke and making Coach K look like a hypocrite and sore loser.

Obviously just one data point and it's still pretty early but Kenpom currently has ASUs defensive efficiency ranking at 127(!).

(We ended up ranked 119th last year fwiw)

Every year there are usually a few teams early in the year where the AP just doesn't match up with KP. This year it is Arizona St at #32. Based on what Arizona St has done they have earned their current ranking.

Not knowing the KP formula, it seems like they have won by comfortable margins, including wins over 3 top 5o KP schools. I suspect they did not beat some cupcakes by enough given the high pace in those games.

Gonna beat a dead horse again. We still need to improve a TON on offense. Even with the big 2H our Offensive Efficiency rank is still 103. Up a couple of spots. Just can’t have those kind of starts of games moving forward. We’re getting all those stops, turnovers, rebounds, etc., but can’t score. Teams like North Carolina A&T and Howard were able to score and run their stuff against the vaunted Georgetown defense, lol. They just didn’t have the personnel defensively. We had to go UVA/Gonzaga style, press, and hope for the best like Boeheim said.

Last edited:
Gonna beat a dead horse again. We still need to improve a TON on offense. Even with the big 2H our Offensive Efficiency rank is still 103. Up a couple of spots. Just can’t have those kind of starts of games moving forward. We’re getting all those stops, turnovers, rebounds, etc., but can’t score. Teams like North Carolina A&T and Howard were able to score and run their stuff against the vaunted Georgetown defense, lol. They just didn’t have the personnel defensively. We had to go UVA/Gonzaga style, press, and hope for the best like Boeheim said.
We still have to improve, but our offensive efficiency is 65, per KenPom. I think you’re looking at the wrong number. Our overall efficiency rank is 52.

tapatalk_1513728827809.jpeg

This is why they are so good. Layups and 3s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom