Army VS Marist | Syracusefan.com

Army VS Marist

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
7-3 Army at the end of the third quarter. Game available for free here Patriot League Network Archives - Stadium

Appears the game was tied at 3 at the half and Army scored 4 goals in the third. As usual army D is pretty solid and they do a good of pressing out and trying to force turnovers. Syracuse is going to have to be careful clearing and with turnovers as these guys are pretty relentless.

Offensively is where I believe Army is the weakest,, 7 goals in 3 quarters vs Marist I think is proof.

10-4 final, hard to take much away from the game as Marist isn't good but a few thoughts.

Army is pretty relentless on D and will try and trap often to cause turnovers, will need to pass on the ride versus trying to Matt Abbott one man clear it. Army has really struggled at the X this year but seemed to do pretty well against Marist. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

Army offense looked OK but I didn't see anything earth shattering. They got a few goals on turnovers and putbacks and the Marist goalie made a few nice stops. I could be way off especially if were turning the ball over a ton but I think we match up really well here.

Surdick and Baretto are both finally seniors so thankfully this will be the last matchup against them I worry a bit about our offense in this game as its struggled for the most part so far in two games. We will need our depth to shine here.

10-4 final, hard to take much away from the game as Marist isn't good but a few thoughts.

Army is pretty relentless on D and will try and trap often to cause turnovers, will need to pass on the ride versus trying to Matt Abbott one man clear it. Army has really struggled at the X this year but seemed to do pretty well against Marist. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

Army offense looked OK but I didn't see anything earth shattering. They got a few goals on turnovers and putbacks and the Marist goalie made a few nice stops. I could be way off especially if were turning the ball over a ton but I think we match up really well here.

Surdick and Baretto are both finally seniors so thankfully this will be the last matchup against them I worry a bit about our offense in this game as its struggled for the most part so far in two games. We will need our depth to shine here.
Just to add a little to your impressions, I think UA let our offense run all over the place without much pressure. Except for Dluhy, who was excellent, UA backed away from middies and attacks, allowed them to roam. Very bad prep for Army who will pressure physically all six first o line. UA was not a good test for Army, however; if SU plays with the same intensity they might pull this one out.

Just to add a little to your impressions, I think UA let our offense run all over the place without much pressure. Except for Dluhy, who was excellent, UA backed away from middies and attacks, allowed them to roam. Very bad prep for Army who will pressure physically all six first o line. UA was not a good test for Army, however; if SU plays with the same intensity they might pull this one out.

Excellent point about the Army D vs Albany's. I am very interested to see who Alberici puts Surdick on. Does he go Solomon like most coaches or does he try and mix it up and go Voigt after the six goals. SU is going to need a totally different strategy this game then vs Albany based on Army's scheme as you noted. Potential good news for SU is that guys like Solomon, Voigt Rehfuss, Trimbo and to a lesser extent Curry should all be familiar with Army's pressure D. I am definitely concerned though that we will struggle to score.

You dont let Army settle its D by cautiously throwing it back n forth against rides. You make them back off by pushing it in transition whenever possible and open the field for shooters SU needs to establish the tempo it wants to play at and not be worried about some miscues. Seen in scrimmages and Albany some breaks that have led to some old SU transition and hope that approach continues

With all due respect to Voigt the sniper , he plays off others. Highly doubt Surdick is his cover. Creativity and production from Refhus and Lipka are important to this offense, I sense that they will begin to show because their abilities are still there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom