article from 03 where Juli jokes about wheeling JB out when he's 75 | Syracusefan.com

article from 03 where Juli jokes about wheeling JB out when he's 75

For those wondering, Boeheim will turn 75 this November.

JB sure looks to be in better physical shape than Roy Williams who will be 69 this summer or Coach K who turned 72 last month - even Jim Larrañaga who will be 70 this fall, has missed a game with illness a little over a year ago. The ages of the coaches in the ACC including FSU’s Hamilton who will be 71 this summer, means the face of the ACC will be changing soon with many programs looking for someone to follow a program legacy. (Mike Brey of ND is a spry 60 years old).

and he spent 20 minutes on the phone with me when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer about a dozen years ago, giving advice on what he learned about choosing the treatment option. I followed his advice.
How wonderful. I had a young client with breast cancer getting a treatment when he came into the hospital for some kind of charitable event. My client’s mother asked him to speak with her daughter and he came over and talked to her for several minutes and was very kind.

and he spent 20 minutes on the phone with me when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer about a dozen years ago, giving advice on what he learned about choosing the treatment option. I followed his advice.

i like hearing that. marv levy called my dad (friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend) when he was diagnosed to cheer him up about twenty years ago. my mom was very confused - "uhhh marv levy wants to talk to you" hope you're doing as well as levy, boeheim, and my dad

Great to hear and I’m not surprised. About 16 years ago, my neighbor across the street was also diagnosed with prostate cancer. Me, a total nobody, was at one of the team early season meet and greets and shakingly asked him if he had any advice I could pass along to my neighbor. He took out a memo pad (that I recently read he carries with him all the time) and asked me for his phone number and his name. Unbelievably within a few days he shocked my neighbor by calling and giving valuable advice and encouragement that helped him make sound informed decisions. He also fought and won his battle with help from JB that no one else knew about.

A co-worker’s son , a 14 month old was diagnosed with lymphoma. Boeheim, Hop, staff and players went on an unannounced visit to Upstate with the kids. It gave my coworker something joyful to talk about other than protocols, chemo treatments, insurance worries, and crying when speaking about their stressful, painful time at the hospital with his son. He said that JB asked the staff and the parents to please refrain from taking pictures other than for personal use and please no publicity nor pictures from the visit that could or would be released to the media or public. After hearing this, I then started wondering how many times for how many years the program has been selflessly, quietly devoting their time to make a difference with no publicity. What a great example for the players. This son just graduated from college last year and is an engineer at an area mfg company. As an aside, the father told me that Hop actually got on the floor to play with kids and was as big a kid as the children. :)

Sadly I don’t think we’ll ever realize his total devotion to the community till he’s no longer here. Syracuse was never a stepping stone for personal gain, it has always been his one and only rock.

And then prostate cancer proceeded to rain 3's on you relentlessly until you abandoned that advice and switched to something else?

I keed,
I keed!

i like hearing that. marv levy called my dad (friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend) when he was diagnosed to cheer him up about twenty years ago. my mom was very confused - "uhhh marv levy wants to talk to you" hope you're doing as well as levy, boeheim, and my dad
My Dad as well when he was 78. Doing great at 84

Holy crap I thought Hamilton was maybe in his mid to late 50s.

Well you'd remember him in his 50's when he played Bunny Colvin on The Wire.

bf2acfb0c2e4a1a2b96cac6dd50310c7.jpg

LeonardHam1.jpg

JB sure looks to be in better physical shape than Roy Williams who will be 69 this summer or Coach K who turned 72 last month - even Jim Larrañaga who will be 70 this fall, has missed a game with illness a little over a year ago. The ages of the coaches in the ACC including FSU’s Hamilton who will be 71 this summer, means the face of the ACC will be changing soon with many programs looking for someone to follow a program legacy. (Mike Brey of ND is a spry 60 years old).
But only JB and Syracuse have his age/availability used as negative recruiting against him. Or some insist as fact.

I sometimes forget how old JB is based on his energy. K and Roy look a lot worse by comparison. I remember I was in St John in the USVI and we went over to St Thomas for the Paradise Jam in 08 and Calhoun looked terrible. We were at the airport going home and it was like me, my wife, yukons entire team and 4 other people. Calhoun looked really old and tired. My wife asked if he was retiring after that season. I said probably not. Her response was he should. I said I agree he is a cheating piece of garbage. She just rolled her eyes at me and said she meant because he was old.

It's funny how "same place for 27 years" makes him sound like such a young, fresh-faced, whipper-snapper at that point.

lol thought the same thing.

JB, Dick Bavetta and Chuck, going backwards in a race...who wins???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom