Article: Getting Scooped | Syracusefan.com

Article: Getting Scooped

arbitragegls

All Conference
Good article, or bad depending on your viewpoint...but this writer in Today's articles makes some interesting points. Since he is not a pro Waiters, pro Triche, pro Scoop writer...his points are telling and may indicate what is going to come down as the season progresses. Is it Scoop who may loose playing time not Triche...is Waiters really the 2-guard with Triche more comfortable and better as a PG?--doesnt mean Scoop and Triche dont start...but may indicate who is going to play the most and at what position.

Jardine sat from the 18:22 mark of Monday's game all the way until there was 9:36 remaining in the first half. In that time, Waiters and Triche thrived at the two guard positions.
In that span of 8:46, Waiters and Triche combined for 14 points, four assists, two steals and a block.
"We played pretty well together," Triche said after Monday's game. "We both got each other shots. When he gets in, he's able to create attention, which allows me to space out."
Triche said he assumes more of the point guard role with Jardine off the floor and enjoys having the ball in his hands, as opposed to playing off it. That leaves Waiters with the opportunity to slash to the basket and become a focal point for the opposing defense.

I become more of a point guard (with Jardine out)," Triche said. "I kind of like the ball being in my hands a little bit more. I feel more comfortable playing on the ball than off the ball."
Jardine left the floor with 5:26 remaining in the first half against Albany. From that point forward, Triche and Waiters scored or assisted on every Syracuse basket for the rest of the half.

Jardine posted two subpar performances in a pair of SU (3-0) wins this week, both times giving way to a much more effective Dion Waiters. The sophomore guard has been joined by Brandon Triche and freshman Michael Carter-Williams to form a trio that has outperformed Jardine thus far. And through three games in 2011, the fifth-year senior is averaging the fewest minutes of the four guards in No. 5 Syracuse's rotation

A writer is a writer and entitled to his opinion. It is what the coach sees that counts.

I will say this, of all our guard combinations Triche and Waiters look the best (right now, I know its early).

I will also say this, I dont love Jardine and Waiters on the court together. Their skill seem to butt heads just a little bit.

Triche and Waiters could make a lot of sense. Its hard to imagine Jardine getting over 30 minutes a game like he did last year.

That said, I have a hard time believing that Jardine sits for overly long stretches when games matter. I think he will have a good year.

Unlike some of the others, Jardine as a senior captain does not need to make his bones against Manhattan or Albany. He isn't out there trying to look for his own offense -- happy to see the youngsters get their points, just as you would hope he would feel. Sometimes things happen in these early games (James, Keita) that are real nice, but don't count on it when Florida shows up.

As for Monday's game, Triche got his points (most of them) on feeds from Dion or on his dribble moves from a SG position or on finishing a break. You can watch the replay of the first half (nothing much from Triche in the second half) or read the article -- Dion drew some attention, Triche found a place to spot up, Dion passed. Good to see that the combo worked, and for the most part it was Dion making it go, but give Triche credit for a good half of shooting when open (two 3s) and finishing lay-ups or floaters. Maybe one assist?? How many plays started by Triche in half court sets??

That Manhattan game doesn't turn Triche into a point guard. You want your point guard to be handling the ball at the top, as a threat to penetrate/pass, or someone who can distribute to a shooter when the shooter is in the right place (as Dion did in feeding Triche). I am pulling for Triche all the way (as a part of a 4 guard rotation); and better if he finds his spots and takes those good shots.

I think that the Dion Brandon backcourt has looked like the best combination so far as well. I think we need to see more games especially against better competition but as of now Dion has looked to be our best guard.

Yes (on Dion, and the combination with BT), but any guard combination looks terrific when the 3 point shots are going in or when Dion can get out ahead of the pack. BT has not been consistent and the one good half against Manhattan is a small sample size.

I am not sold on Dion's 3 point shooting (both the decision-making and the form), but everything else looks great.

We have that new world for JB -- not clear who his best two guards are; depth is great, but you have to be developing 4 guards.

A writer is a writer and entitled to his opinion. It is what the coach sees that counts.
well judging by the minutes we can see what the coach is thinking

well judging by the minutes we can see what the coach is thinking

Well, it's also audition time for a lot of players, so the established players usually are not playing much more than 20 minutes a game at this point anyway. Scoop isn't going to just disappear from the rotation. Brandon and Dion both have things to prove and to improve.

Scoop, for all the heat he has taken, is still a pretty dependable guy against Big East foes. But he has looked sluggish out there so far. For a guy who went to all those camps this summer and playing in the World University Games, he looks like the least fit of the 4 guards.

To me the difference between a Sweet Sixteen team and a Final Four team is whether or not Scoop can accept the "Duany-role" of 2003. Barring chemistry/development issues, Triche, Waiters, and MCW very well could be the best options when it is time to go up against the best of the best come tourney time.

To me the difference between a Sweet Sixteen team and a Final Four team is whether or not Scoop can accept the "Duany-role" of 2003. Barring chemistry/development issues, Triche, Waiters, and MCW very well could be the best options when it is time to go up against the best of the best come tourney time.
absolutely

Scoop, for all the heat he has taken, is still a pretty dependable guy against Big East foes. But he has looked sluggish out there so far. For a guy who went to all those camps this summer and playing in the World University Games, he looks like the least fit of the 4 guards.

I have never been a big Scoop fan. Even when he was doing well two years ago off the bench, my biggest concern was that he would be taken out of that role and become a starter. I think my biggest problem with Scoop is the idea that he is dependable. He isn't close to dependable, IMO. He is experienced, but that doesn't make him dependable. He does have the ability to hit a big shot, and I give him credit for that, but I just strongly disagree with the stance that his lack of ability is compensated by this assumption that he is a consistent floor leader.

I have never been a big Scoop fan. Even when he was doing well two years ago off the bench, my biggest concern was that he would be taken out of that role and become a starter. I think my biggest problem with Scoop is the idea that he is dependable. He isn't close to dependable, IMO. He is experienced, but that doesn't make him dependable. He does have the ability to hit a big shot, and I give him credit for that, but I just strongly disagree with the stance that his lack of ability is compensated by this assumption that he is a consistent floor leader.
Just as a diversion from the news of last night --- the best thing in Scoop's favor is that he can hold his own in the big games, against big competition (UConn, Georgetown). BT hasn't proved that, other than an occasional game when he gets on a streak. We expect that MCW and Dion can do that, but how they do against Manhattan or Albany doesn't prove much. (Dion stepped up in MSG and vs Marquette, so I am confident in his case.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom