Article of Battle’s nba projection | Syracusefan.com

Article of Battle’s nba projection

Oh yeah, now I remember, it was that Boeheim guy - I called in my first question. JB: “There’s no hitch in his shot. He puts it up a little differently but has a smooth release. He’s a scorer and makes big shots. They’ve bene going in for two years.“ Matt pointed out that Tyus had missed three free throws in a row vs. BC but he’s an 80% guy on the season an. “So we’ll take that.” Matt said it was impressive that Tyus is still only a sophomore and yet he’s so good we take him for granted. JB: “he was good at the end of the year last year. He’s now the first option but he’s prepared. It gives him more opportunities.”

And that guy -
I don't find "hitch" to be a useful term or description, though posters here are repeating it all the time. Add some more explanation to what in particular you see Tyus doing, and what you suggest he do to fix what you see.

ESPN had him undrafted in January and now has him #31 - and is calling him a Point Guard? Ok then.

Eventually PGs the size of Magic will be the norm and not the exception.

Eventually PGs the size of Magic will be the norm and not the exception.

That’s fine if they actually have PG skills. Tyus hasn’t shown that. If he was an NBA PG, well, we could certainly use one of those. The game has moved away from “positions” to an extent and separating guys as “ball handlers” or “wings” is becoming more the norm. To me he’s a wing who can create his own shot off the dribble.

I see him at 39 in their latest top 100.

I was going by what the article said. Seems weird that he would be moving all over the place like that, when his performance was more or less the same all year long. And then the PG thing...makes me wonder how much effort ESPN puts into this.

That’s fine if they actually have PG skills. Tyus hasn’t shown that. If he was an NBA PG, well, we could certainly use one of those. The game has moved away from “positions” to an extent and separating guys as “ball handlers” or “wings” is becoming more the norm. To me he’s a wing who can create his own shot off the dribble.

Completely agree. I guess the only thing I'd have to consider is that he really had no one else to pass to so it's hard to evaluate his distributive skills.

So, the other thing I wanted to comment on was JB's defense of his SG. Seemed a little out of character for the HC, given his want to push back when his players are discussed in terms of the draft in recent years. Perhaps he understands there's no "maybe" involved with Battle going.

And despite an incredibly strong start to the season, Battle fell out of ESPN's mock draft in January, prompting Orange coach Jim Boeheim to comment on his star player's draft stock.

"I don't know why he's not in there some place because he can score,"Boeheim said in February. "He is getting better. I think he's a guy that can get better."

I was going by what the article said. Seems weird that he would be moving all over the place like that, when his performance was more or less the same all year long. And then the PG thing...makes me wonder how much effort ESPN puts into this.

Jonathan Givony, who is their lead draft guy, takes it really seriously. He's the guy who has Battle 39, and listed as a SG/SF. I followed the link in that story, I have no idea whose rankings those are. Would not pay attention to them.

I just don't see it. I see him as one of those really dynamic college players that won't translate to the next level. Obviously I am no expert though.

I just don't see it. I see him as one of those really dynamic college players that won't translate to the next level. Obviously I am no expert though.

His body translates. His shot, scoring ability and athleticism are average at best for an NBA 2G but his size is near prototype and that's enough to get him a shot.

I'd prefer him to stay because I'm selfish and don't give a crap about his financial future and only about my own happiness, but he has a shot to be a guy that goes between 25-50 and can work his way into a back end rotation guy over the next couple years. That's pretty much all you can hope for outside of the lottery guys any way.