As the world turns in twitterland | Syracusefan.com

As the world turns in twitterland

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
And now after last nights flurry of tweets, already this AM the story is that the SEC does not want Missouri because of distance and that it will be WVU to the SEC. Even ESPN has an article about it.

So nice to have a comfy couch to lie back on and watch this stuff without a worry in the world.

So if Mizz stays, the B12 would be at 10 schools. Do they bother to add a combination of WVU,LVille, or Cinci?

This is the worst possible news for LVille...

And now after last nights flurry of tweets, already this AM the story is that the SEC does not want Missouri because of distance and that it will be WVU to the SEC. Even ESPN has an article about it.
It's also easier to simply slide WVU into the East than to add another team to the West. The latter would likely also involve moving Vandy to the West and 'Bama & Auburn to the East.

You're right about the comfy couch, without a doubt. This must suck so much for the left-out kids.

But all these tweets and "sources". Ugh. And citing distance? Puh-leeze.

Pullman, WA to Tuscon, AZ. Now that's some distance. Columbia, MO to Fayetteville, AR, Nashville, TN, Knoxville, TN, Lexington, KY etc, is a relative walk in the park.

TV market penetration and academic fit I'll buy as reasons, distance, not so much.

I think the bottom line is that lots of people have overestimated or over stated the importance of the Missouri Tigers brand.

You're right about the comfy couch, without a doubt. This must suck so much for the left-out kids.

But all these tweets and "sources". Ugh. And citing distance? Puh-leeze.

Pullman, WA to Tuscon, AZ. Now that's some distance. Columbia, MO to Fayetteville, AR, Nashville, TN, Knoxville, TN, Lexington, KY etc, is a relative walk in the park.

TV market penetration and academic fit I'll buy as reasons, distance, not so much.

I think the bottom line is that lots of people have overestimated or over stated the importance of the Missouri Tigers brand.

The example given was that Missouri was 300 miles further than any other SEC team from Florida. It didn't compare to other conferences, just within the SEC. ESPN ran the distance story.

Gotcha, Bees. But still, that doesn't make much sense. I mean, so an extra hour and a half on the plane?

Gotcha, Bees. But still, that doesn't make much sense. I mean, so an extra hour and a half on the plane?

I just think the SEC presidents are still burned over Mizzou's public preference for the Big Ten. SEC arrogance at play. "Do you know who we are? You don't turn us down, we turn you down."

that the SEC does not want Missouri because of distance.

i realize that dec 2012 is coming and theres been some freaky weather shlit going on with tornados, earthquakes, monsoons, hurricanes etc, but has the map of the US changed???

is huntinton, wv really that much closer to the SEC than columbia, mo???

i suppose it is a little and for some schools a lot, but that reasoning doesnt really make sense.

that the SEC does not want Missouri because of distance.

i realize that dec 2012 is coming and theres been some freaky weather shlit going on with tornados, earthquakes, monsoons, hurricanes etc, but has the map of the US changed???

is huntinton, wv really that much closer to the SEC than columbia, mo???

i suppose it is a little and for some schools a lot, but that reasoning doesnt really make sense.

Many in twitterland, like swaim agree with you and say the distance thing is BS. but others like ivan mielsel and espn are saying differently. thats why it is so nice that we can sit back and watch. personally, i too think the distance thing is bs. they may not want missouri, but it wont be because of 1,000 miles between missuori and gainsville.

In the end I only care about the Big East football conference imploding. WVU to the SEC would be great. Oliver Luck aside, I would never hope for them to get screwed by realignment. With WVU going, they're down to 5. Get Louisville and hopefully Cincinnati to the Big12 and put a fork in 'em.

Maisel's geography is off just a bit. Columbia, Missouri is about 75 miles further to travel from Gainesville than College Station, Texas. Yeah, this is BS. Missouri may be out, but it is more likely they are out because of their unrequited love affair with the B1G than because of air mileage.

Anyone know when this Big East teleconference is supposed to take place?

...believe that Mizzou placed itself in a poor position:
1. Last year tried to squeeze into B1G and was shot down with Nebraska going...Mzzou lobbied hard and whined and...
2. Now they publicly say, and no one import refutes...that SEC is a good fall back position...yuck way to say to SEC you are second best...SEC may be best in football but lacks in academics etc
3. Mizzou playing out leaving Big 12 to hopefully get better media dollars from league...appears to have been accomplished...

So I predict Mizzou goes nowhere and stays Big 12...that could hurt WVU and Louisville unless conference goes to 12.

So I predict Mizzou goes nowhere and stays Big 12...that could hurt WVU and Louisville unless conference goes to 12.

There has been a lot of discussion as to whether they have 10 or 12. The prevailing opinion is that it will be 12, if not this year then next, so that they can have a championship game.

WVU will not get an invite to the SEC if the SEC wanted them we would have never heard about this love affair with Mizzou. WVU has been rejected the almighty Ollie Luck would have during his interview in the Bowling Green game if WVU was SEC bound. Instead, he leaked Air Force and took pot shots at Pitt and Syracuse. Sadly, if Mizzou is rejected you have to believe an ACC team would be next. We gotta hope the Gentleman's agreement is true and the SEC East teams vote against Florida St, Clemson, Ga Tech, and UVA-VPI are a package deal.

WVU will not get an invite to the SEC if the SEC wanted them we would have never heard about this love affair with Mizzou. WVU has been rejected the almighty Ollie Luck would have during his interview in the Bowling Green game if WVU was SEC bound. Instead, he leaked Air Force and took pot shots at Pitt and Syracuse. Sadly, if Mizzou is rejected you have to believe an ACC team would be next. We gotta hope the Gentleman's agreement is true and the SEC East teams vote against Florida St, Clemson, Ga Tech, and UVA-VPI are a package deal.

The ACC can survive the loss of Clemson. It actually would make it easier for divisions. If you take UConn as a replacement then you can put the 6 old BE teams and Wake in the North. Which means old ACC in the South. This is balanced in FB and allows the old ACC teams to play each other twice in BBall. Seems like a win win. Then should ND ever join you take RU, putting both in the North. Which means you move Wake back to the South.

The ACC can survive the loss of Clemson. It actually would make it easier for divisions. If you take UConn as a replacement then you can put the 6 old BE teams and Wake in the North. Which means old ACC in the South. This is balanced in FB and allows the old ACC teams to play each other twice in BBall. Seems like a win win. Then should ND ever join you take RU, putting both in the North. Which means you move Wake back to the South.
that works out just fine.

still think that rut > storz. expecially if academics ever comes into it.

and if the ACC has a shot to officially lock up the eastern seaboard, they should, and will...do it with rut.

that works out just fine.

still think that rut > storz. expecially if academics ever comes into it.

and if the ACC has a shot to officially lock up the eastern seaboard, they should, and will...do it with rut.
I agree that it's smart for the ACC to lock up the whole east coast, but the dream of UConn and Rutgers joining the MAC for football is just too wonderful to give up at this point.

Look who's talking about distance. We invited you to be in our Poker Conference and you declined the invite based on travel distance. Whiner. ;)

Look who's talking about distance. We invited you to be in our Poker Conference and you declined the invite based on travel distance. Whiner. ;)

The SEC will force Mizzou to play all their games on NCAA 2012 and mail in the results.

There has been a lot of discussion as to whether they have 10 or 12. The prevailing opinion is that it will be 12, if not this year then next, so that they can have a championship game.
i cant imagine any circumstance where the bevo doesnt get back to 12.

the bigeastleftovers in play have to be banking on there being at least 2 and maybe 3 spots open for them.

jer-uh would love a champ game in his little house on the praire.

i cant imagine any circumstance where the bevo doesnt get back to 12.

the bigeastleftovers in play have to be banking on there being at least 2 and maybe 3 spots open for them.

jer-uh would love a champ game in his little house on the praire.

Agree. I think Lville is in and WVU also unless the SEC stuff is true. Cincy is hoping on Missouri leaving or WVU going SEC.

I agree that it's smart for the ACC to lock up the whole east coast, but the dream of UConn and Rutgers joining the MAC for football is just too wonderful to give up at this point.

Yesss!!!

Although my dream is UConn back in the Yankee Conference and RU in the Patriot League. That would restore order and balance to the Universe.

High Point stadium could be re-named "No Point" stadium.

Mizzou's campus is within a (sometimes long) day's drive from Tenn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, UGA and probably Auburn, Alabama and Miss State. Geography is DEFINITELY not an issue with Mizzou.

I do feel "culture" might not be a great fit. Mizzou (Columbia, MO) is definitely a Midwestern town. It is kind of red-necky, which would be a good fit. But Midwestern red-necks are a little different from Southern red-necks.