ASU/Dayton thoughts | Syracusefan.com

ASU/Dayton thoughts

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
OK so I read the board a little. I’m not going to be influenced by announcer commentary scuttlebut.

First, hats off to all the people who came to Dayton. Awesome showing and Warped Wring was fantastic! Great beer and people. The arena is cool. Like a big box where everywhere is a good seat. I’ll have to try to upload pics another way.

Game was ugly. Very fortunate to get out of Dayton alive. I’m happy but it was a dire struggle. Something I was worried about. The offense. From where I was sitting Frank just did not want to drive or play downhill. Maybe the health/throat was an issue. Maybe he felt he couldn’t. Most of the game they stuck to one defender on him. Nothing fancy except for some random pressure. It seemed like our big baskets were either individual bailout shots or off some broken lucky plays. We couldn’t do much against this defense. Disappointing. Awesome day, though!

What you described is our base offense isn’t it? On the plus side for Frank is he hit a couple 3’s in the first half and didn’t have any mega damaging turnovers. He also got the most key rebound of the game. This team has won ugly all year and tonight was not any different. End result is beautiful to me!

OK so I read the board a little. I’m not going to be influenced by announcer commentary scuttlebut.

First, hats off to all the people who came to Dayton. Awesome showing and Warped Wring was fantastic! Great beer and people. The arena is cool. Like a big box where everywhere is a good seat. I’ll have to try to upload pics another way.

Game was ugly. Very fortunate to get out of Dayton alive. I’m happy but it was a dire struggle. Something I was worried about. The offense. From where I was sitting Frank just did not want to drive or play downhill. Maybe the health/throat was an issue. Maybe he felt he couldn’t. Most of the game they stuck to one defender on him. Nothing fancy except for some random pressure. It seemed like our big baskets were either individual bailout shots or off some broken lucky plays. We couldn’t do much against this defense. Disappointing. Awesome day, though!

The scary part? ASU was the VERY BOTTOM defense in the tournament, per Kenpom. I'm really hoping we can improve in 2 days time.

The scary part? ASU was the VERY BOTTOM defense in the tournament, per Kenpom. I'm really hoping we can improve in 2 days time.
They probably gives points in boatloads to teams that run, have a post game or a quick PG who can beat his man 1 on 1. None of those are our style

The one thing about the ASU defense that stood out to me was the smaller guards. It seemed that really bothered Frank and Tyus a lot worrying they would get their pocket picked. Also, it was good scouting by Hurley to try and hound us all game. The refs let the guards play which besides a couple flops did loosen things up for us too but definitely helped ASU use their hands a lot more to stay with their man. Definitely an ugly game , but also an impressive finish to outscore them 18-7 down the stretch. I'm not sure we have shown the ability all year to finish a game like that. We have come back many times and been put away in others but rarely succeeded to get the W.

Smaller guards yes but like others said really bad in AdjD. It’s not like we haven’t played against smaller guards before. Yeah, a couple of those threes he hit were huge. Was really worried when they got up 46-40. I think Tyus hit a runner and Oshae a 3 after that. I was sitting behind the basket in section 213. Great to see the zone work from that angle. It looked like Chukwu had a couple of phantom calls on him but other than that everything seemed pretty fair. ASU was wearing some junkyard unis.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters how good defensively the team that we play is. If we win it will be a rock fight. We'll have a rock fight against great defensive teams or bad ones.

Our defense will be what determines the outcome. If we can grind down the other teams offense we win. If they can beat the zone regularly they win. Our offense will struggle no matter what.

A friend of mine said that watching that game was like being waterboarded in a cozy recliner.

The fast break that Frank had (I can only remember one), he looked so lost. I am hoping it was the strep but we haven't known how to fast break all year. I assume they practice it.

My brother (Duke fan) texted me that we have a "gritty tall team." I think that is an apt description. Then for the next half hour we texted about what's going to happen to us after we die. Somehow I feel that game led to that particular discussion. :rolleyes:

I was in Section 213 also, row G.
I was very encouraged to see how we closed out this game. Defense intensity at the end was amazing!
Refs were very inconsistent the whole game, but more so the 2nd half. We were definitely fouled while shooting numerous times but then had touch fouls called against us. They were inconsistent & bad for both teams, but seemed to me we got jobbed more. I think it may have pissed the boys off & lit a fire on D

TCU is the same type of team.

So far I've watched two P5 tourney games and in both games the refs allowed the small guards of St Bonnie's and ASU play physical on the perimeter.

I don't care if they're bad defensively (they normally play fast paced basketball which skews this stat), if you're 6'5 and a quick sub 6 footer is allowed to handcheck and body you outside, it's going to be tough sledding.

So far I've watched two P5 tourney games and in both games the refs allowed the small guards of St Bonnie's and ASU play physical on the perimeter.

I don't care if they're bad defensively (they normally play fast paced basketball which skews this stat), if you're 6'5 and a quick sub 6 footer is allowed to handcheck and body you outside, it's going to be tough sledding.

That pissed me off. They let the ASU guards literally have their hands on Frank, arm extended, blatant hand check and no call.

But when one of the players drove, and tried to cross Frank over 40 feet from the basket, they blew a quick whistle on a touch foul. What.

We're very, very lucky that foul trouble didn't sink us last night, given the amount of fouls we wracked up in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Last edited:

I don’t really see it this way. Our weaknesses just get magnified. I had really good seats last night and it was mostly a footspeed issue and playing east-west and not getting downhill. Even Boeheim said in the presser that they played us “the right way.” It’s a talent/skill issue. I mentioned it before but Shea Gilgeous-Alexander is even taller than Frank and has taken over PG duties for them for awhile now. Guards from even WVU don’t bother him.

I don’t really see it this way. Our weaknesses just get magnified. I had really good seats last night and it was mostly a footspeed issue and playing east-west and not getting downhill. Even Boeheim said in the presser that they played us “the right way.” It’s a talent/skill issue. I mentioned it before but Shea Gilgeous-Alexander is even taller than Frank and has taken over PG duties for them for awhile now. Guards from even WVU don’t bother him.
You could be right but Holiday and Hands struggled with ball security against St Bonnie's and that's one of the best backcourts in the PAC.

You could be right but Holiday and Hands struggled with ball security against St Bonnie's and that's one of the best backcourts in the PAC.

Towards the end I thought when the pressure intensified. I believe they went back to M2M then. For awhile Bonnies played zone I thought since the first five minutes of the game UCLA was destroying them off the bounce in their M2M.

SoBe - did you hear the female that was screaming like a nutjob every time an SU player shot a FT? Came across loud and clear on the telecast.

Smaller guards yes but like others said really bad in AdjD. It’s not like we haven’t played against smaller guards before. Yeah, a couple of those threes he hit were huge. Was really worried when they got up 46-40. I think Tyus hit a runner and Oshae a 3 after that. I was sitting behind the basket in section 213. Great to see the zone work from that angle. It looked like Chukwu had a couple of phantom calls on him but other than that everything seemed pretty fair. ASU was wearing some junkyard unis.

Their small guards are only good at launch 3 pointers from longer range and almost bad at everything else. If we penetrates more, we should have won by a larger margin. But I think referees called us offensive fouls early on may persuade Jimmy using alternative and more traditional approach (just zone) in this game.

SoBe - did you hear the female that was screaming like a nutjob every time an SU player shot a FT? Came across loud and clear on the telecast.

I noticed that only in the second half. I thought the woman has unusual high pitched voice.

Their small guards are only good at launch 3 pointers from longer range and almost bad at everything else. If we penetrates more, we should have won by a larger margin. But I think referees called us offensive fouls early on may persuade Jimmy using alternative and more traditional approach (just zone) in this game.

We played east-west all game. Very fortunate to get out of there with a W.

I noticed that only in the second half. I thought the woman has unusual high pitched voice.
She was screaming in a way I have never screamed in my life, and I’ve had my share of scares. How the people around her didn’t group tackle her I will never understand. Even if they were TCU fans!

Both JB and Hurley stated in their respective pressers last night that ASU's defense was really good. JB stated that he had seen several of their games this season, and that last night's effort was certainly one of their bests. Hurley basically stated the same thing afterwards, going on to say...how if you told me last night that we would hold Syracuse to 60 points, I'd would've certainly felt we'd have been on the good side of that and come out with the W. That being said, was it really ASU's best defensive effort of the season, or more to do with just how easy it is to defend this team this year with only 3 legit threats on offense? Maybe a bit of both, with the lean on the latter.

Both JB and Hurley stated in their respective pressers last night that ASU's defense was really good. JB stated that he had seen several of their games this season, and that last night's effort was certainly one of their bests. Hurley basically stated the same thing afterwards, going on to say...how if you told me last night that we would hold Syracuse to 60 points, I'd would've certainly felt we'd have been on the good side of that and come out with the W. That being said, was it really ASU's best defensive effort of the season, or more to do with just how easy it is to defend this team this year with only 3 legit threats on offense? Maybe a bit of both, with the lean on the latter.

Yup. What I saw is that they really moved their feet and played passing lanes well. Kept us going east-west most of the game. They deserve some credit for sure but also we have plenty of limitations being able to attack that.