At SU and most schools the QB is everything | Syracusefan.com

At SU and most schools the QB is everything

kcsu

Living Legend
If you look back over the years we go as our QB goes. Sure you need other players but we have very rarely been a good let along great team when we didnt have a playmaker at the QB spot. Marvin, Donnie M, Donovan, all of them playmakers. Lets hope that next year Hunt or Flash step up and provide us with the dimension and leadership we have been lacking. No disrespect to Nassib who i think is a fair QB but he just doesnt have that something special that those other guys did.

If you look back over the years we go as our QB goes. Sure you need other players but we have very rarely been a good let along great team when we didnt have a playmaker at the QB spot. Marvin, Donnie M, Donovan, all of them playmakers. Lets hope that next year Hunt or Flash step up and provide us with the dimension and leadership we have been lacking. No disrespect to Nassib who i think is a fair QB but he just doesnt have that something special that those other guys did.

I get the premise of your argument and don't necessarily disagree with it but I believe in college there are other positions that are more likely to be game changers (RB, DE, etc.). 2001 proves this point. Nassib is a serviceable college QB. You know what you are going to get from him. Imagine Ryan as the QB for the 2001 squad. That would be interesting.

I get the premise of your argument and don't necessarily disagree with it but I believe in college there are other positions that are more likely to be game changers (RB, DE, etc.). 2001 proves this point. Nassib is a serviceable college QB. You know what you are going to get from him. Imagine Ryan as the QB for the 2001 squad. That would be interesting.
Well we had a heck of a D that year and Carter was our entire O. It sure would be nice to have a dual weapon under center again

Well we had a heck of a D that year and Carter was our entire O. It sure would be nice to have a dual weapon under center again

Carter played in 2001?

I agree. Nassib could be a successful winning QB if SU had more talent around him. Ryan reminds me of all the QB's that have been successful at Michigan St, Wisconsin the past decade plus. None of them were great. They were good and led good to very good teams. My biggest issue with Ryan is his inability to consistently hit the open deep receiver. It doesn't matter how good the WR is if the pass misses them by 5-10 yards.

I agree. Nassib could be a successful winning QB if SU had more talent around him. Ryan reminds me of all the QB's that have been successful at Michigan St, Wisconsin the past decade plus. None of them were great. They were good and led good to very good teams. My biggest issue with Ryan is his inability to consistently hit the open deep receiver. It doesn't matter how good the WR is if the pass misses them by 5-10 yards.
Ryan also gets happy feet in the pocket and doesnt feel the blindside rush also need to protect the ball more. In watching our games he does best with quick three step throws or when he is rolling out. I hope we roll him out of the pocket more this year and also take advantage of macs ability to snap into the gun. Great call on Ryan as a midwest QB. He is a good shepard of a a good O but he isnt going to make much happen on his own. The guys that i mentioned made the other players better by buying time with their feet for a reciever to get open and by demanding the D keep tabs on them because they could run. I think that Tom made a very good point with Nassib being a non weapen and our use of the FB we have effectively decided to play 9 on 11 which is never good odds. Get rid of the FB add a mobile QB and you will see dramatic improvement in our O