At this point here is what I want the rest of the wayHonestly | Syracusefan.com

At this point here is what I want the rest of the wayHonestly

Marsh01

Living Legend
Honestly at this point I want to just get out of conference and play this tournament. Split the last two (maybe somehow beat Georgetown). Win a game in NY and get sent to wherever as a 5-6 seed and take our chances.

The most frustrating thing about this team to me is just the mistakes we make in the last 5 minutes and our lack of focus at times. We easily could have gone 2-0 this week had we just not had dumb turnovers or rebounded better at times. Instead we lose two heart breakers.

We showed a lot of heart today in coming back from a 47-40 deficit only to completely hand the game over in the last minute.

The sad part is with Marquette winning if Pitt loses tomorrow we are still tied for the last double bye in the BET. Hard to believe. I dont expect Pitt to lose but the way this season has gone who knows.

Oh and we are nowhere near the bubble.

Hopefully this team will be similar to 1995, yet not make a boneheaded mental error at the end.

I missed the end of that season, as I left for Austrailia on Valentine's Day, right after we lost to Nova in OT I believe. From then on, info was hard to come by. Anyway, that team was around the top-5 for much of the season, and then the wheels fell off. We got a 7 season and almost made a run before the Moten TO.

This team is similarly faltering, but could pull a rabbit out of the hat.

I still like this team. A lot. They just need to play better. And I think they will at the right time.

This is what I don't get. Sorry to pick on you directly, but don't take it that way. It's one thing to say this team has more talent than they have exhibited recently. Maybe that's what you meant.

But what on earth leads you to believe they are going to "play better" at the right time?

Trust me, I want you to be right. But I'm just not seeing it. Hoping you are seeing something I'm not. I see a team that struggles in the half court, can't score against a zone, has no inside production, and struggles to shoot the ball well.

That's a lot to turn around.

44cuse

This is what I don't get. Sorry to pick on you directly, but don't take it that way. It's one thing to say this team has more talent than they have exhibited recently. Maybe that's what you meant.

But what on earth leads you to believe they are going to "play better" at the right time?

Trust me, I want you to be right. But I'm just not seeing it. Hoping you are seeing something I'm not. I see a team that struggles in the half court, can't score against a zone, has no inside production, and struggles to shoot the ball well.

44cuse

Obviously because we all want them to, so they will.

I think the fact of the matter is they aren't that far away. For the myriad of problems, we were right there with Marquette and Louisville, and were there most of the way with Gtown as well. One or two plays go our way and we win the last 2. So that easily could happen in the tournament. But at the same time, it could just as easily (if not more easily) not happen and we don't make it out of first weekend.

So I do kind of agree with you. People on here have pointed out Lville ended the year poorly last year and made the FF, and that could happen to us. And it could, but for every Lville that finishes poorly and makes the final four, there are probably 5 times that finish poorly and go out with a whimper in March.

Honestly at this point I want to just get out of conference and play this tournament. Split the last two (maybe somehow beat Georgetown). Win a game in NY and get sent to wherever as a 5-6 seed and take our chances.

The most frustrating thing about this team to me is just the mistakes we make in the last 5 minutes and our lack of focus at times. We easily could have gone 2-0 this week had we just not had dumb turnovers or rebounded better at times. Instead we lose two heart breakers.

We showed a lot of heart today in coming back from a 47-40 deficit only to completely hand the game over in the last minute.

The sad part is with Marquette winning if Pitt loses tomorrow we are still tied for the last double bye in the BET. Hard to believe. I dont expect Pitt to lose but the way this season has gone who knows.

Good Post Marsh01...I agree. These last 3 games have put me in a foul mode...
PS I HATE THESE NOON GAMES!:bang:

I'm good with us playing as the five seed on Wednesday. Maybe that will help jumpstart something special.

Good Post Marsh01...I agree. These last 3 games have put me in a foul mode...
PS I HATE THESE NOON GAMES!:bang:

Get ready for more hate, because the Georgetown game is at noon. UGH!

Obviously because we all want them to, so they will.

I think the fact of the matter is they aren't that far away. For the myriad of problems, we were right there with Marquette and Louisville, and were there most of the way with Gtown as well. One or two plays go our way and we win the last 2. So that easily could happen in the tournament. But at the same time, it could just as easily (if not more easily) not happen and we don't make it out of first weekend.

So I do kind of agree with you. People on here have pointed out Lville ended the year poorly last year and made the FF, and that could happen to us. And it could, but for every Lville that finishes poorly and makes the final four, there are probably 5 times that finish poorly and go out with a whimper in March.

I think those are really two different things. Sure...a couple of plays could go our way (which is argue we got our fair share of calls today). But plays going our way isn't what I am looking for.

I'm looking for an offense that looks more organized than swinging the ball on the outside of the perimeter with the occasional high ball screen from a screener who the defense knows is zero threat to score.

So sure...a couple of plays could our way and we have a couple of different results. My point was that I truly believe this team is better (talent and intelligence wise) than it has displayed in the last month. But CJ is really the only person out there playing to their ability level.

I think it far more likely that this teams does get a couple of plays to go its way than this team suddenly getting it together at the right time. Breaks can come...getting it together? I'm skeptical.

44cuse

I think those are really two different things. Sure...a couple of plays could go our way (which is argue we got our fair share of calls today). But plays going our way isn't what I am looking for.

I'm looking for an offense that looks more organized than swinging the ball on the outside of the perimeter with the occasional high ball screen from a screener who the defense knows is zero threat to score.

So sure...a couple of plays could our way and we have a couple of different results. My point was that I truly believe this team is better (talent and intelligence wise) than it has displayed in the last month. But CJ is really the only person out there playing to their ability level.

I think it far more likely that this teams does get a couple of plays to go its way than this team suddenly getting it together at the right time. Breaks can come...getting it together? I'm skeptical.

44cuse

Yeah I get what you're saying. There are definitely a lot of things missing. I'm just saying that even with all that, it's not like this is an awful team. It's a good team that has been a few plays away from beating some other good teams the last week or so.

You're right; I don't think the team is going to undergo a fundamental shift in the next few weeks. But it can still be pretty successful, I think. Or it can lose in the first round.

And despite all of that, they were a couple plays away from beating a Top 10 team today.

They're playing their worst ball right now. Chances are in a couple weeks they'll be out of their slump and start knocking down shots. Our #1 scoring threat and probably best player was 2-11 from the field and had 7 critical turnovers. And we still barely lost. Triche isn't going to play like that every game. He'll turn it around.

Yeah I get what you're saying. There are definitely a lot of things missing. I'm just saying that even with all that, it's not like this is an awful team. It's a good team that has been a few plays away from beating some other good teams the last week or so.

You're right; I don't think the team is going to undergo a fundamental shift in the next few weeks. But it can still be pretty successful, I think. Or it can lose in the first round.

Lol! Ex-friggin-actly! Ugh...kills me because you're right...still close to good teams and could do something in the tourney. Or...go out on day 1. Painful.

44cuse

And despite all of that, they were a couple plays away from beating a Top 10 team today.

They're playing their worst ball right now. Chances are in a couple weeks they'll be out of their slump and start knocking down shots. Our #1 scoring threat and probably best player was 2-11 from the field and had 7 critical turnovers. And we still barely lost. Triche isn't going to play like that every game. He'll turn it around.

I hope you're right.

But that's a lot of hope and gut feeling that we'll get better. I suppose the law of averages is in there somewhere as well.

Well see, I hope you're right.

44cuse

I never thought I'd say this after the first half of the year, but the single most important factor in this team turning things around is the play of Dejuan Coleman. He needs to not only get back into the rotation but he needs to contribute and make a leap forward. If he can make even a small leap forward to the point where he must be defended honestly, there is no telling how much this will open things up.

The other thing that HAS to occur is Triche has to have the green light taken away from him. He must be told to tone it down and get the balls to the players that are actually good at scoring. He is a better distributor than he is a go to guy, despite what so called pundits have been saying for four years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom