Athlon ranks the top 30 college basketball coaches | Syracusefan.com

Athlon ranks the top 30 college basketball coaches

That list is bogus imo. Any list that doesnt have Jim Calhoun in the top 10 is just silly. And I cant stand Calhoun.

any list without calhoun is bogus. izzo is good but top man. boeheim is good longevity wise but he needs to produce. when donovan had talent he won. what calipari did last year was incredible. finally fork goodell

Even Coach K knows Boeheim belongs at #2 on this list. Possibly #1 if he wins a couple more chips.

That list is bogus imo. Any list that doesnt have Jim Calhoun in the top 10 is just silly. And I cant stand Calhoun.
Agreed.

Shame on Athlon for putting that list out. Calhoun is an obvious blunder but Thad Matta and Mark Few so low is also shameful.

What about Jay Wright? The reasoning behind him not in the top is that the last 2 seasons they have been terrible. But then they put Howland in so that doesn't make sense. Who ever came up with this list just wanted to make sure that every major conference had at least 3 reps. This would have been my list of coaches from each conference
A10- Majerus, Stevens, Smart
ACC- K, Williams, Hamilton
Big 12- Self, Huggins, Barnes
Big 10- Izzo, Matta, Ryan, Crean, Beilein, Painter
Big East- Boeheim, Calhoun, Pitino, Dixon, Wright, Thompson, Williams, Brey
Pac 12- Miller
SEC- Calipari, Donovan, Stallings
Mid Majors- Few, Bennett, Fisher

GUess you guys didn't read the whole article?

"

In addition to a coach’s track record, we asked ourselves: Which coaches would their peers prefer not to face. We’re also keeping an eye on the future. In short, can we expect these coaches to continue to produce similar or better results over the next five seasons or so?"

If a main criteria for the list is the next 5 years, it seems reasonable to have Calhoun low, since he only has 2 years left max, 1 of which they are banned from postseason play

"

In addition to a coach’s track record, we asked ourselves: Which coaches would their peers prefer not to face. We’re also keeping an eye on the future. In short, can we expect these coaches to continue to produce similar or better results over the next five seasons or so?"

If a main criteria for the list is the next 5 years, it seems reasonable to have Calhoun low, since he only has 2 years left max, 1 of which they are banned from postseason play

Key words..."we asked ourselves..." The dummies didn't bother to actually poll coaches about it.

"

Ok so they know for a fact Boehiem is there another 5 years is what you are saying? Calhoun deserves to be much higher on that list period ... If they truly accounted for for who prefers to face who ... Matta would be higher than Boehiem ... Boehiem has yet to beat him ... Dixon and Pitino have favorable records against him as well as Calhoun ... frankly this list is a mess in certain spots.

It said the list factors in career trajectory for the next five years. No question that is the criteria that made JC fall, but then again, that may well be a pretty stupid criteria to have for a list such as this one. With three NCs and being in the Top Five or so of career wins any valid list should have JC ranked in the Top Five - maybe even in the Top Two of Three. Hard to kick a guy down that much for something that might or might not happen forward going.

Ok so they know for a fact Boehiem is there another 5 years is what you are saying? Calhoun deserves to be much higher on that list period ... If they truly accounted for for who prefers to face who ... Matta would be higher than Boehiem ... Boehiem has yet to beat him ... Dixon and Pitino have favorable records against him as well as Calhoun ... frankly this list is a mess in certain spots.
I do think Calhoun is too low, but the chances that JB lasts longer than Calhoun are pretty high at this point I'd think.

The constant health issues. The APR. The uncertainty of conference realignment. The dude has been UNDER .500 in the BE the past 3 years. I made a post about this a few months ago, but if you look at the cumulative BE play records since UConn went to the Final Four vs. MSU (09 I believe) they are in 9th or 10th place.

Go through that list and find me another coach who's been under .500 in conference play each of the past 3 years. On the flip side, he does have the Final Fours and National Titles. It's a tough call

Should he be higher? Sure, but anything that disrespects Uconn or Calhoun is OK in my book.

any list without calhoun is bogus. izzo is good but top man. boeheim is good longevity wise but he needs to produce. when donovan had talent he won. what calipari did last year was incredible. finally fork goodell

Yes Calipari really "outcoached" his opponents with his six NBA draft picks including the number 1 and 2 overall. Not to mention the only two schools capable of stopping him were dethroned by an injury and academics.

Yes Calipari really "outcoached" his opponents with his six NBA draft picks including the number 1 and 2 overall. Not to mention the only two schools capable of stopping him were dethroned by an injury and academics.

Calipari is as good a coach as he is a shady recruiter.

Krzyzewski should be #1.

Izzo should be #2.

Self should be #3.

Calhoun should be top 10...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online