Athlon Sports 2013-14 Preview... | Syracusefan.com

Athlon Sports 2013-14 Preview...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse_v425_2013.jpg

CJ Fair is everywhere !

They also posted this morning their list of the best college coaches - Boeheim comes in at #6.
http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/college-basketball-ranking-top-50-coaches-2013-14?

Hard to disagree with much of that list but hey this is the internet so I will give it a try:
Never been all that impressed with Bill Self. I feel like anyone with half a brain could coach Kansas to success given the history and tradition there.
Calipari is a total scum bag and should be excluded from any listing on principal.

I think Self is an awesome coach. They win the league every year, and he also took Tulsa to the Elite 8. Tulsa!!

Looks like they tried to turn Calipari's failure into a positive.
"Calipari had his worst season since 2004-05 at Memphis as Kentucky went 21-12 and lost to Robert Morris in the NIT. True, this was not a typical Calipari team, but the Wildcats were on the verge of the NCAA Tournament before star Nerlens Noel went down with a leg injury. But Calipari should rebound in a way only he can. While his 2012-13 team plodded through an unimpressive SEC, Calipari was assembling one of the best recruiting classes of all time. Calipari could turn an NIT embarrassment into another Final Four appearance or more in 2013-14."
On the verge with NN? That's not what I saw. Borderline tourney team with him, at best. Terrible that he gets rated higher than JB with the truckload of talent they had last year, according to ESPN's rankings.
It's silly.

"Calipari had his worst season since 2004-05 at Memphis as Kentucky went 21-12 and lost to Robert Morris in the NIT. True, this was not a typical Calipari team, but the Wildcats were on the verge of the NCAA Tournament before star Nerlens Noel went down with a leg injury. But Calipari should rebound in a way only he can. While his 2012-13 team plodded through an unimpressive SEC, Calipari was assembling one of the best recruiting classes of all time. Calipari could turn an NIT embarrassment into another Final Four appearance or more in 2013-14."
On the verge with NN? That's not what I saw. Borderline tourney team with him, at best. Terrible that he gets rated higher than JB with the truckload of talent they had last year, according to ESPN's rankings.
It's silly.

Calipari gets all the talent in the world, but to say he's some sort of great coach who "gets guys to the NBA," is a load of crap. He gets guys that are already NBA prospects/players. Pretty sure most of the posters on this board could coach his teams to a halfway respectable record. He is a great recruiter, not a great coach. Disappointed to see him rated so highly.

It's silly.

Cal seems evil BUT his players love him, they are prepared for the NBA, usually, recruits run to him. Until the NCAA or someone comes after him with more than inuendo you gotta give him props as a great coach (I threw up a little in my mouth saying that but it's true)

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Sincerely,
Cal
Whitehead: Coach Cal, are you offering me a scholly?
Cal: Let's do lunch.
Whitehead: Coach Lavin, are you offering me a scholly?

It's silly.

And do you know how he gets all that talent?

I'll give you a hint its not by playing within the rules.

Calipari always has his teams playing really good, aggressive defense. I think he should get credit for that. (I also think recruiting is part of coaching, fwiw. And so does Athlon, since they mention that in the article)

But I gotta put Coach K #1 on any list. Calipari is a very successful coach. Is he better than JB or Roy or Izzo? I guess i don't really know, and it doesn't really matter. (and yes i am aware of the irony of saying it doesn't really matter, and also saying Coach K has to be first)

and UK was 17-8, 8-3 when Noel got hurt. They were probably going to make the dance.

Calipari always has his teams playing really good, aggressive defense. I think he should get credit for that. (I also think recruiting is part of coaching, fwiw. And so does Athlon, since they mention that in the article)

But I gotta put Coach K #1 on any list. Calipari is a very successful coach. Is he better than JB or Roy or Izzo? I guess i don't really know, and it doesn't really matter. (and yes i am aware of the irony of saying it doesn't really matter, and also saying Coach K has to be first)

and UK was 17-8, 8-3 when Noel got hurt. They were probably going to make the dance.

I'll grant you that Cal's numbers are good. It's his integrity that I question.

I can't stand Roy Williams. Like Self, he coaches at a place that recruits for itself and his success has been limited at best. He's extremely overrated.

I can't stand Roy Williams. Like Self, he coaches at a place that recruits for itself and his success has been limited at best. He's extremely overrated.

I know i mentioned this before, but Self was successful at places other than KU. Roy, well, not so much.

I know i mentioned this before, but Self was successful at places other than KU. Roy, well, not so much.

I'm definitely not as down on Self as others here. I wish he would get rid of that toupee, but he has some skills.

I'm definitely not as down on Self as others here. I wish he would get rid of that toupee, but he has some skills.
lol, ouch (it does look like a dead squirrel, though).

Hard to disagree with much of that list but hey this is the internet so I will give it a try:
Never been all that impressed with Bill Self. I feel like anyone with half a brain could coach Kansas to success given the history and tradition there.
Calipari is a total scum bag and should be excluded from any listing on principal.
So you're saying Roy Williams has less than half a brain

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

No question Self is a great coach. His teams usually improve towards the end of the season. They should've beaten Michigan in that Tourney game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom