Attacking Zones...... | Syracusefan.com

Attacking Zones......

newmexicuse

All Conference
We sure were handcuffed against the Hoyas.

Seems like we did not send anybody other than CJ to post at the FT line.

I can't help but wonder why against Zone D's we don't alternate between running CJ and Dirty to the FT line. Dirty isn't as versatile as CJ at that spot, but it sures seems to me that with even a little bit of space he could do some damage w a turn-around J that would be hard to defend with his length & high release point. By alternating the two and not only using CJ there, it might also open up some other options. If the opposing center jumps out onto Dirty it might open something up for X down low. If the opposing center stays, Dirty should be able to shoot over any other help that might be coming.

For that matter, our guards are big enough that they could post to that spot as well. Both Brandon & MCW would be triple threats from there. Our offense sure looked vanilla...seems to me that we should be looking at new approaches.

No penetration from the guards. The 2 SRs hucked up far too many 40 footers. Not enough touches for CJ, who appears to be our only reliable offensive weapon who is able to create his own shot.

If we're playing against a zone we need to make sure CJ touches the ball at least once every possession. We also need to sit the next player who attempts a 40 ft shot, regardless of the outcome of the shot.

I saw one attempt with James in the FT area. He turned and rushed what could have been a decent look. Nothing after that.

No penetration from the guards. The 2 SRs hucked up far too many 40 footers. Not enough touches for CJ, who appears to be our only reliable offensive weapon who is able to create his own shot.

If we're playing against a zone we need to make sure CJ touches the ball at least once every possession. We also need to sit the next player who attempts a 40 ft shot, regardless of the outcome of the shot.

This team falls in love with the three at times in the first 10 minutes of the game and we cant fall into that trap tonight, even if we make a few of them. Work the paint, penetrate and dish.

JS at the foul line seems like zone buster 101. Hard to fathom why our zone offense was so bland.
Him, Fair, and BT are pretty dependable from that spot, bu they have issues getting guys the ball cleanly there when the opposing D packs everyone in.

But outside of having a a couple of guys hit 35%+ from three, it's going to continue to be awfully crowded inside the arc.

This team falls in love with the three at times in the first 10 minutes of the game and we cant fall into that trap tonight, even if we make a few of them. Work the paint, penetrate and dish.
Well what happened on Saturday was that they all saw the emotional lift when JSouth hit his deep 3 and BT and MCW both wanted to send the crowd into a frenzy instead of doing what they do best. Shot selection shouldn't change when we are up 8-10 pts. We took a few bad shots when we were up that led to easy buckets on their end and that was the total change in momentum.

Tried JS at the foul line a handful of times. The guards were conservative about trying to force the pass in. When they did, it didn't go that well. He seemed rushed. Also, it was further from the basket than it could have been. That could have worked to our advantage but JS was in too much of a hurry to unload it to find anyone underneath.

They should keep trying but it's not a panacea.

They did attempt to get the ball to C.J. at the foul line a bunch, but Georgetown had their center come up and challenge. C.J. had a couple of nice moves, but also rushed a couple of shots, as the center was bothering him.

I don't understand how Syracuse never runs a zone overload against the 2-3. It's what Pitt consistently uses to beat the zone, yet Syracuse's only option on Saturday was throwing the ball to C.J. at the foul line. If the 5 man is going to come up and challenge the guy at the high post, how about a baseline cutter or Southerland or Triche running to the corner for an open three? The lack of offensive creativity on Saturday was maddening.

They did attempt to get the ball to C.J. at the foul line a bunch, but Georgetown had their center come up and challenge. C.J. had a couple of nice moves, but also rushed a couple of shots, as the center was bothering him.

I don't understand how Syracuse never runs a zone overload against the 2-3. It's what Pitt consistently uses to beat the zone, yet Syracuse's only option on Saturday was throwing the ball to C.J. at the foul line. If the 5 man is going to come up and challenge the guy at the high post, how about a baseline cutter or Southerland or Triche running to the corner for an open three? The lack of offensive creativity on Saturday was maddening.

Would love to see Southerland positioned on the baseline, prepared to make cuts against zone, instead of out high along with MCW / Triche, where the perimeter trio are easier to defend.

Would love to see Southerland positioned on the baseline, prepared to make cuts against zone, instead of out high along with MCW / Triche, where the perimeter trio are easier to defend.

Could not agree me. Southerland, Triche and MCW playing catch on the perimeter is going to show up in my nightmares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom