Attendance spike in '12-'13? | Syracusefan.com

Attendance spike in '12-'13?

armory

All American
As always much will depend on the schedule... but seeing as how this is the last year in the Big East and potentially the last time we play a number of long time "rivals" ... combined with Kentucky's NC-hangover... could this be the year we retake the attendance title?

Every year it makes me bitter seeing us #2 behind Kensucky..

If I worked for the SUAD box office I'd be psyched for this marketing opportunity to play the "say you were there when..." card.

Someone has probably already answered this, but when do tickets for individual games go on sale? Also, when is the schedule finalized?

I want to order tickets the first day possible...I am very excited about this year, with all of the question marks going into the season. The last Big East season is going to be very interesting!

As always much will depend on the schedule... but seeing as how this is the last year in the Big East and potentially the last time we play a number of long time "rivals" ... combined with Kentucky's NC-hangover... could this be the year we retake the attendance title?

Every year it makes me bitter seeing us #2 behind Kensucky..

If I worked for the SUAD box office I'd be psyched for this marketing opportunity to play the "say you were there when..." card.

Don't forget the effects of the dome improvements they are making and JB getting close to the end of his career. He'll have win #900 this year which could bump one of those early season cupcake games a few thousand high too. I'd guess we will see a spike up. I'd doubt UK will decline but we may pass them, it was damn close last year as I recall.

Should be a good year with JB getting his 900th win and the team being very good as well.

there are 13 pre-conference games, so if things work out properly, it could be two landmark games against December cupcakes- 900, and 903 to pass bobby Knight.

I don't see a UK "post-title hangover" issue as far as attendance, they'll still be #1

Don't forget the effects of the dome improvements they are making and JB getting close to the end of his career. He'll have win #900 this year which could bump one of those early season cupcake games a few thousand high too. I'd guess we will see a spike up. I'd doubt UK will decline but we may pass them, it was damn close last year as I recall.

I wish.

The night Boeheim got his 800th (the season opener, no less), only 15,707 could be bothered to attend. Maybe attitudes have changed (home openers have drawn better these past two seasons than they did for a decade before that), but it's pretty difficult to get good crowds for non-event games, especially if they don't feature name opponents from one of the big six conferences. Ten or eleven games into the season, that's probably who we'll see at home (our past four opponents in games ten and eleven have been Colgate, Iona, Marshall, and George Washington). Hopefully it's on a weekend and doesn't conflict with final exams.

To the original question, any spike we see is dependent on a lot of things: game time/day, opponent, weather, and our success to that point. If our big Saturday games are Rutgers and DePaul, as they were in 2011, we're not going to set any records. If one of our big Saturday games starts at 1:00 p.m. and conflicts with spring rush, as West Virginia did this year, we're not going to set any records. If it's 38 and rainy ... you get the picture.

Someone has probably already answered this, but when do tickets for individual games go on sale? Also, when is the schedule finalized?

I want to order tickets the first day possible...I am very excited about this year, with all of the question marks going into the season. The last Big East season is going to be very interesting!

I think individual game tickets went on sale around Columbus Day last year (plus or minus a few days). Schedule usually comes out in mid September.

I think individual game tickets went on sale around Columbus Day last year (plus or minus a few days). Schedule usually comes out in mid September.

Thanks. I am sure that this board will make the specific dates clear, but that gives me a good rough idea.

The attendance crown is lost in the pre-conference cupcake games with anemic 16,000 crowds. If the vaunted SU marketing department would get off their duffs and do some creative marketing to boost those games by a few thousand we'd beat out UK. If they offered $2 walk up tix the night of the game, they'd get a much bigger crowd and at least make some money on the concessions rather than having a ton of empty seats.

The attendance crown is lost in the pre-conference cupcake games with anemic 16,000 crowds. If the vaunted SU marketing department would get off their duffs and do some creative marketing to boost those games by a few thousand we'd beat out UK. If they offered $2 walk up tix the night of the game, they'd get a much bigger crowd and at least make some money on the concessions rather than having a ton of empty seats.

Agreed. And if people weren't willing to show up to watch that exciting (wire-to-wire top-five) 2012 team - during the mildest winter in half a century, no less - it's going to take something really spectacular to crack the 24,000 barrier any time in the future.

Not sure how marketing can help, but I know that SU's policy of holding the final Saturday game before the spring semester out of the student season ticket package is short-sighted. Better to have sections 103 and 104 two-thirds empty and only draw ~23,000 for a 4:00 p.m. Saturday game against #20 and recently undefeated Marquette? Strange choice to make.

I don't see a UK "post-title hangover" issue as far as attendance, they'll still be #1
seriously what the is a post title hangover, if anything that should make more people come out to the earlier games

seriously what the **** is a post title hangover, if anything that should make more people come out to the earlier games
Like it or not, team support dwindles the year following a title. Happens in every sport.

It's like the anticipation of a big steak dinner, then it finally arriving, and topping it off with dessert. Tasted great, but you won't be hungry again for a while.

I'm hungry

Like it or not, team support dwindles the year following a title. Happens in every sport.

It's like the anticipation of a big steak dinner, then it finally arriving, and topping it off with dessert. Tasted great, but you won't be hungry again for a while.

I'm hungry
do you have something to back that up?

That may be true in the past where your team has graduated and there is a slight rebuilding, but Kentucky, first off is filled with crazy people who have little to nothing else going on in their lives, and secondly, the team doesn't rebuild, they reload. They will be right back in it this year. I don't see them dropping off at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom