Class of 2018 - Austin Staats (ON / OCC) Attack to NLL Draft | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Austin Staats (ON / OCC) Attack to NLL Draft

I thought Miller had used up his last year of eligibility anyway by playing in some fall scrimmages or was that just some propaganda going around from sour Denver fans?
I believe that is the rule but I'd have to think it would be easy to get a waiver. I've honestly never understood that rule in Lax. A hoops player can play in exhibition games days before the season & still redshirt but a Lax player plays in a scrimmage 4 months prior to their season & it costs them the year? Doesn't make much sense. Then again, Lax players can also transfer without losing a year so it's not all bad for them.

DH4WBiOVoAA2Fp9.jpg

NLL Prospect Stock Rising/Falling: Staats, Watkinson and Currier

Austin Staats, LF, Six Nations Arrows and Onondaga Community College
Update: Big drop
Imagedown.png
Let's start with the elephant in the room. Is the 19-year-old budding star entering the draft and forfeiting his remaining three years of eligibility at OCC and, presumably, Syracuse? The general thought has been that he will remain at OCC for 2018, and coach Chuck Wilbur confirmed as such last week. So I'll proceed on the assumption that he should be considered part of the 2020 draft class until I hear differently.<

Imagedown.png
Let's start with the elephant in the room. Is the 19-year-old budding star entering the draft and forfeiting his remaining three years of eligibility at OCC and, presumably, Syracuse? The general thought has been that he will remain at OCC for 2018, and coach Chuck Wilbur confirmed as such last week. So I'll proceed on the assumption that he should be considered part of the 2020 draft class until I hear differently.<

Kid is a dynamic talent, put me at the top of the group that wants him on Campus at SU at this time next year.

Imagedown.png
So, Staats NLL draft stock has taken a "big drop", complete with a giant black arrow, simply because he's not entering this year? Seems like a really dumb premise for an article. I would think a "NA" or something would suffice. HOW DARE HE STAY IN COLLEGE! :rolleyes:

Austin Staats had a hat trick and Owen Hill added 2 goals and 2 assists to lead the Arrows' offence. A win Thursday night would clinch Six Nations' third Minto Cup championship in four years, with all three titles coming against the Adanacs in the finals.

Austin Staats had a hat trick and Owen Hill added 2 goals and 2 assists to lead the Arrows' offence. A win Thursday night would clinch Six Nations' third Minto Cup championship in four years, with all three titles coming against the Adanacs in the finals.
I saw that AN Owen Hill put up some points for Six Nations, but I didn't know if it was the SU recruit who attends Hill Academy or the Albany recruit that attends Akron HS in western NY.

I saw that AN Owen Hill put up some points for Six Nations, but I didn't know if it was the SU recruit who attends Hill Academy or the Albany recruit that attends Akron HS in western NY.
Do u know who is the leader of the Arrows nearly impenetrable D? The Captain of the Arrows and the MVP of last nites game? SU's own Tyson Bomberry! Kid is an absolute beast! He is the leader of the Arrows!

Im gonna bump this thread. Anyone have any information about where Staats stands. Do we have a good chance at landing him?

Im gonna bump this thread. Anyone have any information about where Staats stands. Do we have a good chance at landing him?

No new information on where he stands, but I checked out the first half of the game on Saturday and nothing he did changed my opinion that this kid could start on attack for any D1 program right now. Plays a different style game than his brother or Nanticoke - actually if I had to make a recent comparison it would be Dylan Molly. Can beat you one on one but also plays with his head up and is an excellent feeder. There was one time Saturday where he was doubled quickly on the wing and he was able to find Oakes cross crease for easy goals. The conditions were less than ideal and he seemed to struggle with his footing (by struggling I mean he only had 5 goals). He's capable of putting a team on his back and changing the whole team dynamic...he's that good.

Equally impressive - his younger brother Jerry Staats who plays Defense. Usually it's hard to get a read on the OCC long poles because so little is asked of them in the typical game. But Saturday they weren't dominant at the X and Genesee had some players. Jerry is a decent sized kid with great stick skills and good footwork. But the thing that stuck out was his smarts - always looking to slide to help and plays with intensity and aggressiveness. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Getting this kid would be a fresh drink of water for this program ... and maybe even rebuild the pipeline to OCC NA kids.

Your not likely to hear anything until this summer or maybe even August/Sept when the school year starts. The issues for Staats are really two fold: 1. Does he want to play in College or turn pro and 2. Does he have the grades to get into Syracuse/be NCAA eligible.

For the latter I would think the answer is yes. Native players have done a much better job the last 4-6 years in utilizing Jucos and PG years to get themselves eligbile. Now there are still unfortunately many native players who never make it to Div 1 teams because of grades (which is a travesty) but there definitely seems to be a positive trend upward. From all I know Staats is a smart kid just like his brother and should have the grades but you always have to keep that in the back of your mind just like you would with any Juco player.

The bigger issue is what does he want do ie college vs professional. There was an assumption 2 years ago that Staats wasn't even going to go to OCC but would go pro right out of highschool for Box and go from there. He bucked conventional wisdom and not only went to OCC but came back again this year which many people including myself took as a great sign that SU was still a high priority. Its not a secret that he is a Syracuse fan (see the many photos of him rocking SU gear in box games) and is friends with the Bomberry's Nanticokes etc etc etc. With him coming back to OCC this year I think there is a pretty good chance he makes it here in the fall or the second semester next year for the 2019 season. Id put it at 70-30 odd wise. Clearly I hope he comes here, kid is a hell of a talent and is that elite attackmen this program has been looking for since probably Mike Powell. Not a shot against Leveille or Nims, or Jameson or his brother Randy but Staats has Powell level potential.

I miss Randall he was a great player for us and would have been talked about more if Lyle hadn’t been around at the same time. Austin would be a great pick up

Your not likely to hear anything until this summer or maybe even August/Sept when the school year starts. The issues for Staats are really two fold: 1. Does he want to play in College or turn pro and 2. Does he have the grades to get into Syracuse/be NCAA eligible.

For the latter I would think the answer is yes. Native players have done a much better job the last 4-6 years in utilizing Jucos and PG years to get themselves eligbile. Now there are still unfortunately many native players who never make it to Div 1 teams because of grades (which is a travesty) but there definitely seems to be a positive trend upward. From all I know Staats is a smart kid just like his brother and should have the grades but you always have to keep that in the back of your mind just like you would with any Juco player.

The bigger issue is what does he want do ie college vs professional. There was an assumption 2 years ago that Staats wasn't even going to go to OCC but would go pro right out of highschool for Box and go from there. He bucked conventional wisdom and not only went to OCC but came back again this year which many people including myself took as a great sign that SU was still a high priority. Its not a secret that he is a Syracuse fan (see the many photos of him rocking SU gear in box games) and is friends with the Bomberry's Nanticokes etc etc etc. With him coming back to OCC this year I think there is a pretty good chance he makes it here in the fall or the second semester next year for the 2019 season. Id put it at 70-30 odd wise. Clearly I hope he comes here, kid is a hell of a talent and is that elite attackmen this program has been looking for since probably Mike Powell. Not a shot against Leveille or Nims, or Jameson or his brother Randy but Staats has Powell level potential.

From what I understand, it's not grades per se that keep the Six Nations kids from going right to a 4 year program, but rather it's the courses they take at the school on the Six Nations reservation. I am by no means an expert on this, but I believe many of the classes they take there don't qualify as "core courses" in the US and therefore the kids aren't able to accumulate enough 'points' meet the NCAA eligibility standard. You see this with the Syracuse football from time to time - great example is what happened to Marquis Blair a few years back( Coach rips NCAA for taking 6 weeks to deem Syracuse football signee Marquise Blair ineligible ).

So that leaves many of the kids with two options: (1) they can transfer to a prep school like Salisbury, The Hill Academy or IMG ala the Bomberrys and Nanticoke (and oftentimes do a post grad year to accumulate enough eligibility points), or (2) they can go the JUCO route (ala Staats and Seth Oakes) in which case I believe they are committed for two years. There are some exceptions to the rules, but that's the gist of it.

Update on Staats: Most recent rumblings that I heard today have him turning pro. Seems to be a major question on whether he would have the grades to get into SU. Hopefully this is not the case. Staats in theory would have the fall semester to work out any grade issues and could then enroll for the spring semester a la Cody Jameson. Unlike Jameson however, Staats is highly sought after for the box league draft and is likely the #1 overall pick. We will likely hear something on him by early August.

Update on Staats: Most recent rumblings that I heard today have him turning pro. Seems to be a major question on whether he would have the grades to get into SU. Hopefully this is not the case. Staats in theory would have the fall semester to work out any grade issues and could then enroll for the spring semester a la Cody Jameson. Unlike Jameson however, Staats is highly sought after for the box league draft and is likely the #1 overall pick. We will likely hear something on him by early August.
Cody went #1.

Jamieson was selected first overall by the Rochester Knighthawks in the 2010 NLL draft.[3] He had 53 points in his rookie season and finished second to Curtis Dickson in the Rookie of the Year voting.[4] Jamieson became the de facto offensive leader of the Knighthawks in his second season, leading the team with 36 goals and 85 points as the Knighthawks captured their third Champion's Cup. Jamieson, with four goals and four assists, was named Championship Game MVP.[5]

A year later, Jamieson won the scoring title with 108 points and 72 assists.[6] He led the Knighthawks to their third straight Championship, making them second in the NLL and top of their Eastern Division.[7] His hard work and achievements were recognized and he was named league MVP in 2014

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom