Axe: SU football’s star coaches remain mystery men. Why do fans rarely hear from them? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Axe: SU football’s star coaches remain mystery men. Why do fans rarely hear from them?

Maybe because we want to keep them low-key so we can keep them here for as long as possible?

This isnt Nick Sabans Coaching Rehab clinic in Tuscaloosa

I don’t want them in the limelight as it increases their chances of getting a HC job faster. Axe is a bit much at times.

Unless the ACC mandates it, a la an actual televised Spring Game, Dino gonna Dino.

Gotta write about something.

The football program/AD could curb this themselves by creating more buzz about the team and upcoming matchup.

Without this, OBVIOUSLY our coordinators are gonna be the grasped topics of discussion with UVA coming up and ASU looking for a new coach.

Its the media’s job to generate clicks. Its the AD’a job to create positive attention.

That’s just my opinion.
The PS and the program should be in a mutually beneficial relationship and it's not. It's been a one-sided relationship for the better part of a decade and I really have zero issue with Dino limiting his staff's contact with the PS as much as possible.

It sucks for us as fans, but quite frankly, the PS doesn't deserve it.

For the most part, I like Brent Axe. But when I disagree with him, I really disagree with him
I watched his original TV show for about 2 weeks and that was all I could stand.
He came off as if he knew it all, and was wrong a lot of the time.

The PS and the program should be in a mutually beneficial relationship and it's not. It's been a one-sided relationship for the better part of a decade and I really have zero issue with Dino limiting his staff's contact with the PS as much as possible.

It sucks for us as fans, but quite frankly, the PS doesn't deserve it.
How so? I'm interested, not trying to disagree. Just not aware of how it's one-sided on the football side of things.

This article "grinds my gears".

Axe basically whining he doesn't have access to the football program staff.

No sheeeet.

Why would you Axe? You guys have been Monday Morning QBing Babers and printing / airing negative slanted articles and radio programs about the football program through varying staffs over the last two decades.
I was a media guy for close to a decade dealing with a lot of coaches that -- to put it generously -- didn't make your job easy. I also don't have a PS sub so I couldn't read the article. Not sure if he made a good case or not. So take my comments with the appropriate grains of salt.

I respectfully disagree, however. I'll start by saying Dino can run the program the way he sees fit and if he makes this decision it's his call. I'm good with it. I also more or less have supported Dino throughout his time. He's absolutely atrocious with time management, I wasn't super thrilled with the offensive design and loyalty to Devito (who's a good kid with talent, but i never saw it happening here in Dino's system) the past couple years. But A) what do i know? and B) Dino has proven that he can relate to players, run a decent program and put up wins when he has the right pieces. That may be about the best we can hope for in the current state of college football. So I'm happy he's here, by and large.

Also, to be fair, Dino is far from alone on limiting media access. Almost all coaches do it these days, so I'm not trying to hammer him relative to other coaches.

Having said all of that, he is pretty far along the spectrum of paranoid football coaches when it comes to the media and I do feel like that's tough when you are in a place that doesn't have that built-in massive fan base. I have to believe it's part of the reason that a 3-0 Orange may still struggle to get 40K for a conference game (that and the fact that we are playing UVA, who nobody cares about due to the odd world of college sports conferences these days. That's a different topic.).

Hiring an OL coach last year who really made a big difference and then a QB coach (Shrader looks soooo much better throwing the ball) and offensive coordinator (not sure Anae is incredible but he is absolutely credible and it's made a big difference) who have breathed life into a program that has been limping around since 2018 -- those are big stories. Add in Tony White who has done great things on the defensive side. These are the stories that journalists want to write and fans want to read.

Additionally, coaching football is a zero sum game publicly. Dino may be a great guy and a great influence on his players, but the reality is if he's not winning games he's going to draw a ton of criticism. That's the downside of being a big-time football coach. The upside is that you'll make good cash and be treated like a hero in many ways if you can manage to win some games. You take the good with the bad and when the majority of the results have been less-than-awesome for 20+ years, the coverage will be (and should be) more critical than full of praise. If it's not, then the praise when you're winning is meaningless.

Lastly -- this whole notion that intense secrecy is some sort of strategic advantage is absolutely absurd. I'm not going to write a whole thing on this, but the idea that a story about Nate Hemsley having a good preseason camp and being a likely starter isn't the reason we were going to beat or lose to East Carolina. It's a total fallacy. I'm not advocating for publishing the whole playbook, but some meaningful access to the program is simply not meaningful from a strategic standpoint.

So this is an incredibly wordy post and I'm sure many will disagree with it. But honestly grown men talking to beat reporters and radio shows seems like a good way to generate a bit of interest without a whole lot of downside. And, quite frankly, I miss the days of actually learning about the players and staff and some of what is actually happening.

Two cents.

How so? I'm interested, not trying to disagree. Just not aware of how it's one-sided on the football side of things.
When you write negatively slanted, one sided articles that the staff can’t comment on due to NCAA regulations, I would define that as self serving and pretty one-sided.

I think Dino is afraid the conversation would center on how the assistants got here, how much control they have, etc. Their has to be ego involved and I agree with earlier poster on the secrecy these programs operate under is over the top. It's a football game not the invasion of Normandy.

I don't like the policy but it's applied consistently and has been since Day 1.

When you write negatively slanted, one sided articles that the staff can’t comment on due to NCAA regulations, I would define that as self serving and pretty one-sided.
Related to what? I mean what topics can they not comment on? Recruiting? Again, not trying to dispute your statement but I’m not entirely sure what you’re referring to. I will say, when you have struggled, by and large, for 20 years, the opportunities for positive coverage are fairly limited. And SU is complicit in this. Dino has had things on lockdown since day 1.

That said, I may be just missing the point here. I’m just not entirely sure what you’re referring to specifically.

Related to what? I mean what topics can they not comment on? Recruiting? Again, not trying to dispute your statement but I’m not entirely sure what you’re referring to. I will say, when you have struggled, by and large, for 20 years, the opportunities for positive coverage are fairly limited. And SU is complicit in this. Dino has had things on lockdown since day 1.

That said, I may be just missing the point here. I’m just not entirely sure what you’re referring to specifically.
Yes. They cannot comment on recruiting. So when the latest new gotcha artist decides to interview decommitments or kids we didn’t offer to get their side of things, obviously is more than likely not going to be positive and obviously the staff can’t comment on it. That does not build positive goodwill or trust. And that was going on before Dino even stepped in the door.

So I stand by what I said - I don’t blame Dino one bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom