B1G move already affecting MD Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

B1G move already affecting MD Recruiting

bnoro

Lurker
Two recruits have already been quoted in articles saying they aren't sure about the move because their family won't be able to watch their games... This will definitely become a trend for them and RU in FL, GA, and the other southern states. It will be interesting to see this dynamic develop and if we move in on any of these guys.

Tell them not to worry, the Big 10 Network is coming to a cable system near them.

Meh. I don't really see that as a legitimate concern. As I have said before, MD plays 6 home games, and one game per season at either PSU or Buttgers. That's at least 7 games they can see. How many do they need?

Now if you are talking about recruits from Florida or Georgia, that's different.

That's going to be the nut of our sell to recruits in Jersey. You want to play in a Dome? In perfect conditions? And then go to Forida? And the Carolina's? And Virginia? And Georgia? Or do you want to play all of your games in the cold and the snow of Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and New Jersey? We're close...but they Dome and our Southern games will play a part.

Goes along with an article and maps I linked in a thread earlier today. A majority of the D-1 recruits come from the south and majority of the top tier recruits come from the south. It's not even close.

One of the points of the article was the Big10 over the last 5 or more years has a piss poor record in their bowl games and against top 25 opponents. Part of that can be attributed to the fact that their recruiting grounds don't have the density of top level kids. Now that they keep adding teams in a way they are diluting their own pool of recruits; now you have 2 more teams that can say, "hey, come play here we are in the Big 10 too".

Meh. I don't really see that as a legitimate concern. As I have said before, MD plays 6 home games, and one game per season at either PSU or Buttgers. That's at least 7 games they can see. How many do they need?

Now if you are talking about recruits from Florida or Georgia, that's different.

That's going to be the nut of our sell to recruits in Jersey. You want to play in a Dome? In perfect conditions? And then go to Forida? And the Carolina's? And Virginia? And Georgia? Or do you want to play all of your games in the cold and the snow of Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and New Jersey? We're close...but they Dome and our Southern games will play a part.

I think that is going to be the initial challenge for Rutgers. They recruit quite a bit in Florida. It's not going to be as easy to recruit there when you never play anywhere near there.

But recruiting in the northeast should be easier for them. Midwest will be the new area they need to work.

Two recruits have already been quoted in articles saying they aren't sure about the move because their family won't be able to watch their games... This will definitely become a trend for them and RU in FL, GA, and the other southern states. It will be interesting to see this dynamic develop and if we move in on any of these guys.

This will be a real problem for Maryland in Maryland's traditional recruiting areas. It became a real problem for Clemson over the summer when all the rumors of Big XII were involving them. Kids in the original ACC states want their families to be able to see them play at their home games and road games, and they can drive to much of the ACC.

What Maryland will have to do is recruit in areas that they aren't used to recruiting in. There are kids whose parents are willing to travel. Notre Dame recruits that way. Maryland will have to adjust.

This will be a real problem for Maryland in Maryland's traditional recruiting areas. It became a real problem for Clemson over the summer when all the rumors of Big XII were involving them. Kids in the original ACC states want their families to be able to see them play at their home games and road games, and they can drive to much of the ACC.

What Maryland will have to do is recruit in areas that they aren't used to recruiting in. There are kids whose parents are willing to travel. Notre Dame recruits that way. Maryland will have to adjust.

Anything that narrows the pool of recruits that are interested in you when you aren't a first tier choice can't be a good thing. Seems to me that good players with parents willing and able to travel all over between the eastern seaboard and the far Midwest probably isn't that deep of a pool.

I think that is going to be the initial challenge for Rutgers. They recruit quite a bit in Florida. It's not going to be as easy to recruit there when you never play anywhere near there.

But recruiting in the northeast should be easier for them. Midwest will be the new area they need to work.

They cam just schedile long term deals alternating home and aways with fiu and fau. That fits noth Rutgers and big? ooc scheduling criteria.

Not sure how big of a deal this is. So this move is bad for MD and RU because their local kids won't play far away. But it's bad for Syracuse because the far away schools will now recruit the DC area, Tidewater, Jersey, and Tri-State hard and be more competition. Which one is it?

Tim Green played at home. JJ Grant went to Michigan. Same high school. The ACC move hasn't hurt us with a certain QB from Tejas, or kids from Michigan, but it's also opened up Georgia. There's too many moving parts with kids that age to make a blanket statement like this will overall hurt the team moving.

Rutgers' biggest obstacle regardless of recruiting turf is the landfill their campus is located on, not its distance from Lincoln, Nebraska.

Maryland has to recruit local kids, we don't really have a well of local kids.

Telling those kids - many of whom don't come from a good financial situation - they will have to play against Wisconsin and not UVa is going to be a non starter.

Maryland will be cannon fodder.

They cam just schedile long term deals alternating home and aways with fiu and fau. That fits noth Rutgers and big? ooc scheduling criteria.
Were you drunk this morning or just giddy with excitement after Rafa Benitez emerged as a front runner for the Chelsea job?

UMD probably needs to shake up what they are doing recruiting wise anyway...the on-field results haven't been pretty as of late. But, i agree with the premise of the original statement.

they have increased the jersey recruits

Tell them not to worry, the Big 10 Network is coming to a cable system near them.
And they're guaranteed to screw up your name during broadcasts at least six or seven times. Who can pass up an opportunity like that?

they have increased the jersey recruits

With this move? Probably, but it also helps their competitors in NJ.

Recruiting changes a bit for them, but most important is they have more money to adjust.

Although the way that program pilfers the university itself (and therefore the state I guess), you wonder if nothing changes and they just break even now, maybe turn a small profit.

With this move? Probably, but it also helps their competitors in NJ.

Recruiting changes a bit for them, but most important is they have more money to adjust.

Although the way that program pilfers the university itself (and therefore the state I guess), you wonder if nothing changes and they just break even now, maybe turn a small profit.
no their last couple of classes i think --but will check

Which in turn will help us. We don't recruit the Midwest all too heavily, some OH and MI kids here and there with the Wheatley connection, but this may be the opportunity we've been waiting for with NJ for it to open back up to us again. And lets be honest, the recruits we've been going after in Florida in many cases are also being recruited by Rutgers - we now have an additional advantage there.

Were you drunk this morning or just giddy with excitement after Rafa Benitez emerged as a front runner for the Chelsea job?

Typing on a galaxy tab which, as it turns out, is much more difficult than typing drunk.

I hope Chelsea fans are ready for a bunch of 1-0 and 0-0 matches though since that's Rafa's specialty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom