"Back When We Beat Va Tech" | Syracusefan.com

"Back When We Beat Va Tech"

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Shafer referred to the TE Throwback during his press conference after the game.

It struck me that he used the word "we"

It seems that he really has become a Syracuse Man.

He genuinely likes being the SU Head Coach and genuinely enjoys the community and thinks of himself as having been here for a long time.

I like that. I get the feeling that he wants to be a legacy coach.

Last edited:

He genuinely likes being the SU Head Coach and genuinely enjoys the community and thinks of homself as having been here for a long time.

After Doug, who the heck knows, but I get the same feeling about him. I also think that his Michigan experience was so miserable that he knows the grass is rarely greener.

I've never met and likely will never meet the man but he is immensely likable and I really hope that he continues to succeed here.

OrangePA said:
Shafer referred to the TE Throwback during his press conference after the game. It struck me that he used the word "we" It seems that he really has become a Syracuse Man. He genuinely likes being the SU Head Coach and genuinely enjoys the community and thinks of himself as having been here for a long time. I like that. I get the feeling that he wants to be a legacy coach.

He talks and acts like Marrone was supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

After Doug, who the heck knows, but I get the same feeling about him. I also think that his Michigan experience was so miserable that he knows the grass is rarely greener.

I've never met and likely will never meet the man but he is immensely likable and I really hope that he continues to succeed here.

His halftime interviews are a thing of beauty, he's so candid and unfiltered, i genuinely look forward to them.

I've got to think having his son going to school so close to Syracuse helps our chances to keep him around if someone comes calling. It struck me that in mentioning all the people he was proud of he mentioned his daughter and son. I have to think he is great during in-home recruiting visits.

Trueblue25 said:
I'm HCSS's garbage man in the summer. I've also met him several times during basketball, when I played in leagues with his son. Above all else he just seems like a really cool, family oriented dad that absolutely loves his job.

So you're majoring in Sanitation Engineering?

He genuinely likes being the SU Head Coach and genuinely enjoys the community and thinks of himself as having been here for a long time.

he also doesn't seem to be the type that is able to fake it when speaking out loud. he's not the most measured public speaker

he's kinda funny. we all have a friend or a relative who is so easy to work up - the guy is constantly working himself up and trying to calm down. the type of guy where it's just too easy to push his buttons to get him going

The fact that his son is named Wolfgang is awesome.

There, I said it.

If 10 years from now he's been successful and entrenched, well then that's great. But honestly, it's not something that should keep us up at night.

Football coaches are weird, crazy, ambitious dudes. After what we went through with Marrone to think that Shafer wouldn't bounce to a bigger BCS program or NFL gig if given the opportunity seems naive to me.

The guy's a likable nut and I hope he's successful. We haven't had a colorful head football coach in over a couple decades now, and it's fun to root for a guy like that. But I'm not going to worry if he wants to spend the rest of his life at SU.

If 10 years from now he's been successful and entrenched, well then that's great. But honestly, it's not something that should keep us up at night.

Football coaches are weird, crazy, ambitious dudes. After what we went through with Marrone to think that Shafer wouldn't bounce to a bigger BCS program or NFL gig if given the opportunity seems naive to me.

The guy's a likable nut and I hope he's successful. We haven't had a colorful head football coach in over a couple decades now, and it's fun to root for a guy like that. But I'm not going to worry if he wants to spend the rest of his life at SU.

I think GRob would have been a colorful head coach if not for, you know, all the losing and resulting depression. He was 53 when he accepted the job, 79 when he left it.

he also doesn't seem to be the type that is able to fake it when speaking out loud. he's not the most measured public speaker

he's kinda funny. we all have a friend or a relative who is so easy to work up - the guy is constantly working himself up and trying to calm down. the type of guy where it's just too easy to push his buttons to get him going
loved it in the post game PC where he said the word a$$ and then berated himself..."Doggone it". Classic stuff.

I think GRob would have been a colorful head coach if not for, you know, all the losing and resulting depression. He was 53 when he accepted the job, 79 when he left it.
the stuffed animal ventriloquist press conferences would've been amazing

I guess. He was sooooo poorly spoken that you need to have top 10-like success to go from "incomprehensible" to "colorful".

Basically, you need to be Yogi Berra, not Mickey Rivers. ;)

I guess. He was sooooo poorly spoken that you need to have top 10-like success to go from "incomprehensible" to "colorful".

You got that right. His thoughts were as disorganized as everything else he touched.

He sounded great in his opening presser. As do they all. He sounded even better on that first LOI day, announcing the additions of Lobdell and Bruce Williams.

But then, yeah, it was excruciating. And just got worse each passing week for 4 long years.

This is definitely the first head coach since I've been a fan where it's actually enjoyable to listen to the head coach after a win. Marrone seemed like he wanted to pick fights and act stressed. Pasqualoni seemed like someone with a remote control was operating him. Shafer wears it on his sleeve how much he enjoys each victory.

So you're majoring in Sanitation Engineering?

GolfClap.gif

I think Robinson was a really good recruiter but when you go 1-11 your first year out, after the team went to a bowl game the year before, it's essentially driving the program off a cliff. He was done after that for the most part... other programs were just killing him. He still did OK but he really could recruit if anything

I think Robinson was a really good recruiter but when you go 1-11 your first year out, after the team went to a bowl game the year before, it's essentially driving the program off a cliff. He was done after that for the most part... other programs were just killing him. He still did OK but he really could recruit if anything

His last class was remarkably solid.

It appeared pretty clear that he was not going to make it.

And yet, in February, 2008 he brought in Averin Collier, Marcus Sales, Mike Jones, Dan Vaughn, Marinovich, DeAndre Preaster, Dorian Graham, Chandler Jones, Antwon Bailey, Ryan Nassib, David Stevens, Carl Cutler and some linemen who ultimately did not make it but who seemed to be solid at times - Nick Speller, Ian Allport, Romale Tucker.

Not bad considering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom