Backup Center question? | Syracusefan.com

Backup Center question?

RaleighSUfan

Scout Team
I apologize if this has already been discussed...

Does anyone know why Tyler Lydon plays the 5 when Coleman is on the bench instead of Tyler Roberson? It appears that Roberson is just as big and most likely stronger than Lydon. Obviously the coaches know what they're doing and there has to be a reason. Thoughts?

agree with the above.

Lydon is like a 7'1 guy out there with his wingspan time and time again you see his real long arms right under the rim and they are very tall. Robersons arms just aren't up that long under the rim for low post boards, but he makes up for it with killer ups.

You also need someone vocal. Watch Lydon and Coleman in the back of the zone. They are constantly giving coverage updates. It started with Forth and has been a staple of the Boeheim-zone since then. Kinda like a middle linebacker. Roberson doesn't talk and Lydon is a really smart kid (scholar athlete of the week already).

All logical explanations... thanks!

I'd also like to see Malachi slide to the 2 on occasion if Cooney needs a breather. We'd have really good size with a lineup of Gbinije, Richardson, Lydon, Roberson and Coleman. Not sure it will happen, but I'd like to see it for a few minutes.

I expect it has more to do with Roberson understanding the rotations at Forward better than a freshman. That's not to say the movement at Center is easy, but our Forwards getting the job done is critical to the zone's success.

For those wondering, Roberson - believe it or not - has Lydon in wingspan by 2 inches. Lydon has the advantage in height (about an inch or inch and a half).

The answer is that both guys are undersized for the five. therefore, the best strategy is to draw the opposing big out. lydon,s range does a better job of drawing their big far from the basket. If Roberson had the shooting range he would be the backup as he has more beef.

Lydon is the better shot blocker which is what you want in the middle of the zone. Roberson is the better rebounder, which is what you want on the wing of the zone.
I'm not sure about wingspan but I think it just comes down to like you said shot blocking vs rebounding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom