Backup PG | Syracusefan.com

Backup PG

samspann1

Living Legend
If Ennis goes pro this summer, presumably, Joseph will be slotted as the starting PG. IMO, if this scenario plays out, we'd need an adequate backup PG - I don't think that it's realistic to have a freshman PG step in and play the way that Ennis did this year.

Are there any solid JUCO or transfer PGs out there?

Does anyone know if Patterson has worked the point at all in practices this season?

If Ennis goes pro this summer, presumably, Joseph will be slotted as the starting PG. IMO, if this scenario plays out, we'd need an adequate backup PG - I don't think that it's realistic to have a freshman PG step in and play the way that Ennis did this year.

Are there any solid JUCO or transfer PGs out there?
JB has taken like 5 transfers in 30 years and none at such a critical position as pg. Don't hold out that he would take one now.

JB has taken like 5 transfers in 30 years and none at such a critical position as pg. Don't hold out that he would take one now.

I understand that he's won 940+ games, and I've won none, but I do think that having a viable backup PG would've helped this year, and will help next year.

samspann1 said:
I understand that he's won 940+ games, and I've won none, but I do think that having a viable backup PG would've helped this year, and will help next year.
And we did go after a couple who chose not to come here to be a backup. Likely expect we'll try again this year.

Last edited:
And we did go after a couple who chose not to come here to be a backup. Like expect we'll try again this year.
Interesting point. Was this before or after the staff knew MCW was leaving? How does one sell being a backup pg to a recruit? Does a 4 star see who is there and accept it and come anyway. A 3 star recruit might accept that role to go to SU but then would JB play him?

samspann1 said:
was Barton one of them?

Barton was the guy we wanted. He wanted more playing time - he made the right choice for him.

75933-74Fr_zps80ac0947.jpg

I believe SU recruited Barton (Memphis) last summer to spend his last year under the Dome.

hoopsupstate said:
Joseph will be the backup next year behind Ennis or Silent G.

Joseph will play a lot of minutes at the 2 alongside Ennis.

And we did go after a couple who chose not to come here to be a backup. Likely expect we'll try again this year.
Who else besides Barton?

Barton would have been a great get for us. He's a decent enough shooter/scorer, ball handler and would have been a perfect complement to Ennis at PG.

Who else besides Barton?

Barton would have been a great get for us. He's a decent enough shooter/scorer, ball handler and would have been a perfect complement to Ennis at PG.
Kane sure would have been nice.

Gbinije will start at PG next year with Joseph off the bench

Joseph is not Tyler Ennis 2.0

JB has put his team in the hands of many freshmen point guards. And he will do it again next year if Ennis leaves. Mike G is purely a backup at the position.

Completely forgot he as a transfer. Was he from a JC? Would be a good example for JB if Ennis decides to leave early. Actually could recruit a kid with a good promise to have at least competition for a starting spot.

Completely forgot he as a transfer. Was he from a JC? Would be a good example for JB if Ennis decides to leave early. Actually could recruit a kid with a good promise to have at least competition for a starting spot.
One of those graduate-with-a-year's-eligibility-left guys. He came over from Marshall.

Gbinije is no point guard. If Ennis leave's w'll try again with Joseph and hope he's ready, (there are not too many Tyler Ennises). We need to pick up a legimate JUCO point guard. He could compete for the position and win it if Joseph isn't ready or back him up for a couple of years if he is. None of this jack-of-all-trades-master-of -none crap.