Backup Point Guard Is...... | Syracusefan.com

Backup Point Guard Is......

"I think I've spent more time (at point guard) these past few days because we need someone else to play the point,'' Gbinije said.

Hmm.

And he enjoys it!!! Nobody has to be out of their comfort zone except maybe Rak at the four. And the good thing is Rak knows Keita Dajuan and his playing time depends on it.

Silent G
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/08/meet_syracuses_backup_point_gu.html

This was my first thought. Then juggled with the idea of Patterson.
Ultimately, it's Gbinije. Nice to have a tall guy seeing over the defense. Again!
That's sweet if he can play there and handle pressure. It makes the zone even harder to shoot against.

What concerns me is ... when MB's playing the point, who's at the 2-guard? TC? Might have some issues against D-pressure there, without TE on the floor. In that scenario, you might see more of Patterson. And I know you're not sleeping on BJ at the 2 -- imagine MG and BJ at SG -- wow. 6'7 - 6'7 in the BACKCOURT.

That's sweet if he can play there and handle pressure. It makes the zone even harder to shoot against.

What concerns me is ... when MB's playing the point, who's at the 2-guard? TC? Might have some issues against D-pressure there, without TE on the floor. In that scenario, you might see more of Patterson. And I know you're not sleeping on BJ at the 2 -- imagine MG and BJ at SG -- wow. 6'7 - 6'7 in the BACKCOURT.
I think you're right about the handling. I will guess this: whenever MikeG is in there, regardless of how good he becomes bringing up the ball and setting up the offense, the 3rd best ball handler will have to be in there. Not fair to speculate who that will be, but these early games might be telling. Let's see how Buss, TC and BJ handle the ball.

"I think I've spent more time (at point guard) these past few days because we need someone else to play the point,'' Gbinije said.

Hmm.

yeah, thank god he figured that out.

You might see some JB old school, against man pressure, give it to CJ.

You might see some JB old school, against man pressure, give it to CJ.

I always was in favor of giving it to a forward to bring it up the court against man pressure. Much less likely to get it stolen by an opposing forward than against guards like Peyton Siva and Russ Smith.