Bad news for BET attendees. | Syracusefan.com

Bad news for BET attendees.

I would think that MSG would have a hard time simply walking away from the BE and the BET after a more than 30 year association.

If they were to have submitted a bid they would effectively be telling the BE that it didn't care to continue its relationship after 2016 without being guaranteed that they would get even one year of the ACC tournament. While the BE doesn't look to be on healthy ground, I am not sure that the basketball conference is on such unstable ground right now that MSG can just turn its back on them after a 30 year association. What appeals to MSG in determining which event it would prefer to host? Is it really just which tournament will play more dates and draw more people for those dates?

Will the BE still exist in its' current form in 2021?

If the FB schools and BB schools go their seperate ways, all bets are off.

I'm surprised that The Barclay's Center didn't submit a bid. I think they've got the A-10 though.

If the ACC decides to rotate its tourney they could play it in Boston, Newark, Hartford, Philly. No shortage of arenas if they want to try and migrate the tourney more into the northeast.

Heck just finish the deal and have the ACC grab Uconn, Nova, St Johns and Gtown.

Have the north acc play in the garden and the south play down south the best place possible.
Meanwhile schedule it so every northern team gets to play unc or duke atleast twice a year. The south teams will get a chance to play them in the ACC tournament anyway.

While were at it try to grab Florida, Bama and Georgia from the SEC and truly be the atlantic coast conference.
mad.png
. 2 joint conferences as one. :rolling:

That is, those who have enjoyed the MSG/BET experience.

No ACC in the Garden, or Barclay's.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...e-garden-not-acc-tournament-plans-sources-say
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Can't blame MSG or Barclay's for going with conferences that are willing to commit to them on a long term yearly basis. As others have said, the only way the ACC tournament finds its way to MSG is if the Big East splits and the group that retains the MSG contract just can't fill the Garden. Which seems to me to be a possibility.

In my opinion, this is the last year anyone should be concerned about SU playing in a conference post-season tourney. After this year, I will fall into the camp of people who are only concerned with the NCAA tourney. The Big East Tournament was special. Even if the ACC tourney is moved north now and then, it will never be the same as the BE tourney.

In my opinion, this is the last year anyone should be concerned about SU playing in a conference post-season tourney. After this year, I will fall into the camp of people who are only concerned with the NCAA tourney. The Big East Tournament was special. Even if the ACC tourney is moved north now and then, it will never be the same as the BE tourney.

And the NNBE Tourney will NEVER be the NBE Tourney or the BE Tourney. It will be " The BE Tourney" in name only. I just don't see people in NYC getting excited about Seton Hall and Providence playing Houston and SMU on a Thursday, or a Memphis - Cincy match up on a Friday. Once UConn and Louisville move on, the BE Tourney will be all but a corpse.

I agree, it was special. But there was really only a matter of urgency when we were on the bubble. Frankly, given the state of ACC hoops lately, I don't think we'll be playing for a berth in the NCAA's most of the time, but rather seeding. Of course, that could change easily if JB retires and Hop is not the answer (although personally, I think he will do fine).

i could see the acc tourney eventually replacing the bigeast on saturday primetime slot on espn

Oh yeah, all those years with the great BE tourney and only one national championship to show for it. Give us the ACC money and exposure and we'll be competing for what really counts a lot more often now. Rather win in Final Four than in NYC frankly. We'll still have OOC games there every year.

Oh yeah, all those years with the great BE tourney and only one national championship to show for it. Give us the ACC money and exposure and we'll be competing for what really counts a lot more often now. Rather win in Final Four than in NYC frankly. We'll still have OOC games there every year.
"Only" one title, jeez what a letdown. Tell me, how are all those ACC programs not named Duke or UNC doing since the last time the ACC expanded? Now consider that 5 different Big East programs have made the Final 4 in the last 6 seasons, and it pokes some holes in the assertion that SU has somehow been held back in "competing for what really counts" as a Big East member.

The move to the ACC had to happen, but it comes with no guarantee that the program will be stronger than it has been in the last 10, 20, 30 years. The bar has been set pretty high and some of us take that level of success for granted; and just sustaining that level for the next 10, 20, 30 years will be no easy feat.

Am I sad that we don't get the Garden for the tourney any more? Sure. However, it's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. Only Big East fans cared that it was in the Garden. No one else saw it as more prestigious because of where it was played. To old guard ACC fans the Coliseum is a prestigious place. Anyway, the games are what made the Garden, not the Garden itself.

Am I sad that we don't get the Garden for the tourney any more? Sure. However, it's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. Only Big East fans cared that it was in the Garden. No one else saw it as more prestigious because of where it was played. To old guard ACC fans the Coliseum is a prestigious place. Anyway, the games are what made the Garden, not the Garden itself.
I'm thinking more about the whole City experience, vis-a-vis what Greensboro has to offer.

I'm thinking more about the whole City experience, vis-a-vis what Greensboro has to offer.

I agree with this, I'd rather it be in Charlotte. One of the largest Cities in the US, and fastest growing, right in the heart of ACC country. This is Coach K on Charlotte for the '08 ACC tourney.

“Nothing against any of the other sites, but [when the tournament is in North Carolina] there’s like a celebration – it kind of takes over the city,” Krzyzewski said. “It happens that way in Greensboro also. I just think that separates our tourney from any of the others.”

Well one things for certain, attending in a place like Greensboro will be more economical than attending in NY.

Well one things for certain, attending in a place like Greensboro will be more economical than attending in NY.
The addition of Syracuse fans into the mix is going to have a significant impact on ACCT ticket prices though. And I expect fans of the current ACC programs to not be too happy about that.

The addition of Syracuse fans into the mix is going to have a significant impact on ACCT ticket prices though. And I expect fans of the current ACC programs to not be too happy about that.

A "significant impact on ACCT ticket prices"???? How do you figure???

A "significant impact on ACCT ticket prices"???? How do you figure???
I should clarify a little--maybe not so much on face value but on re-sale. When looking to buy from average fan on the street, or via an outfit like stubhub, BET sessions that SU played in were astronomically higher in price than other sessions (and a lot pricier when compared to what ACCT sessions go for on stubhub). SU fans represent well far outside of NY, there will be a notable increase in demand for ACCT tixx, and we are used to paying big bucks for these tickets. Expect to see sessions involving SU to cost more (again, not face value) than same day, non-SU sessions.

I guess I was referring to the cost of everything outside of the arena, as people were touting the NYC experience. While it is true that NYC has a lot to offer, it is also true that none of it is cheap.

Not for me. I expect the cost of flying down and getting rental car (I could take a cheap train to NYC; no need for a car down there with mass transportation everywhere) will offset any savings I expect to see in hotel room prices and food prices.

I have seen the ACC tournament on TV, bad crowds, apathetic audiences, 2 or 3 top 25 teams playing instead of 5, 6 or 7. No question the quality of basketball will be substantially lower than it has been in recent years in the BET.

No question there is less to do and less to see. You go from the greatest city on earth to, no offense to the fine citizens of Greensboro, a small, very unremarkable town in the middle of nowhere.

The only benefit I see is that I should be able to get a few rounds of golf in while I am down there. I could have done that in NYC as well but it didn't make sense given how many other great things you can do in the Big Apple.

What is there to do in Greensboro?

Out of curiosity, I jjust googled Greensboro Attractions. The top rated attraction is something called the Bog Garden.

Woo hoo! Seriously? The Bog Garden?

At least there are direct flights from Syracuse to Greensboro. It is a rare trip where I can fly directly to where I want to go without at least one stop first.

I am going to be very interested to see how many fans Syracuse brings for its first appearance in an ACC tournament.

Tomcat, you need to remember how many transplants there are in the South. There will be plenty of SU fans there. Far more from this part of the world than will travel from the Syracuse vicinity.

I am going to be very interested to see how many fans Syracuse brings for its first appearance in an ACC tournament.
If you can find me some tix then I'll be there.