Baldwinsville native Luke Tuch drafted by the Montreal Canadiens | Syracusefan.com

Baldwinsville native Luke Tuch drafted by the Montreal Canadiens

syrBossHogg

Living Legend
Believe he's a freshman at Boston University and is now a Montreal Canadien. His older brother Alex plays for the Vegas Golden Knights.

Most of the CNY kids go to juniors and dont end up playing much around here or college at all.

Heard on the radio that former Sabres goon Andrew Peters was Tuch's billet family.

I'd love to see SU get a men's D1 hockey team, prolly can't happen for a while due to Title IX and rink issues, but I hope to see it one day.
What would make sense to me is the eventual development of a multi purpose arena somewhere west of the university, close to the old I81 footprint.

This arena would be used for hockey, indoor soccer, indoor lacrosse, concerts, and perhaps SU women's basketball.

I am expecting the parking lots west of the dome will eventually go away, replaced by academic buildings (hopefully a new medical school!). The new lots, further west but still relatively close to the dome, would be used for student and employee parking, dome event parking and for events held at the new arena.

Maybe someday, a new ballpark could also be built here, to also take advantage of the large parking lots. If built, this park would replace the park off Hiawatha, and perhaps also host HS football and soccer games.

To me, this would be the ideal place for a community athletic complex. It would help to bridge the area between downtown and the university/medical complex, and could drive a lot of satellite development in the area. It could really make a difference in expanding the footprint of downtown Syracuse, stretching it from Onondaga Lake to Franklin Square to Armory Square to Salina St all the way to Upstate, SU and SUNY Forestry.

If built, it would be a great place for SU men's and women's team to play hockey games.

The War Memorial is not going to last forever. It is antiquated, and needs to be replaced. If we have to invest millions to replace it, why not do it where it can have the biggest impact? If somewhere in the I81 footprint is thought to be too close to SU and the medical complex, put it where Presidential Plaza is. I think having it relatively close to the dome though, so the new parking for the dome is still walkable for many, is a good idea.

What would make sense to me is the eventual development of a multi purpose arena somewhere west of the university, close to the old I81 footprint.

This arena would be used for hockey, indoor soccer, indoor lacrosse, concerts, and perhaps SU women's basketball.

I am expecting the parking lots west of the dome will eventually go away, replaced by academic buildings (hopefully a new medical school!). The new lots, further west but still relatively close to the dome, would be used for student and employee parking, dome event parking and for events held at the new arena.

Maybe someday, a new ballpark could also be built here, to also take advantage of the large parking lots. If built, this park would replace the park off Hiawatha, and perhaps also host HS football and soccer games.

To me, this would be the ideal place for a community athletic complex. It would help to bridge the area between downtown and the university/medical complex, and could drive a lot of satellite development in the area. It could really make a difference in expanding the footprint of downtown Syracuse, stretching it from Onondaga Lake to Franklin Square to Armory Square to Salina St all the way to Upstate, SU and SUNY Forestry.

If built, it would be a great place for SU men's and women's team to play hockey games.

The War Memorial is not going to last forever. It is antiquated, and needs to be replaced. If we have to invest millions to replace it, why not do it where it can have the biggest impact? If somewhere in the I81 footprint is thought to be too close to SU and the medical complex, put it where Presidential Plaza is. I think having it relatively close to the dome though, so the new parking for the dome is still walkable for many, is a good idea.

That makes the most sense to me as well, have SU and the city partner together to build the complex so it could house the hockey teams as well have host concerts and intramural sports like you mentioned. Having it just off campus in that area would also make it easy for students to attend games without having to go downtown or somewhere else, and there would still be plenty of parking spaces for local residents to attend games.

Most of the CNY kids go to juniors and dont end up playing much around here or college at all.

I'm not too familiar with the CNY hockey landscape but that makes sense to me. Those with serious pro prospects like the Tuch's would go to Juniors or an elite college program to try to get drafted. I would think there's still handful of kids in the area who would be interested in attending SU and playing hockey but not really focusing on going pro.

Also, lots of schools recruit Canadien players who want to get an education. Looking at Colgate's roster, they have a lot of kids from Ontario and even Alberta/BC.

Last edited:
Angello did well at Cornell and a few kids from Buffalo area have played down there but really not many US kids have.. between RIT/Cornell/Colgate/Clarkson/STL you would think there would be more but the better kids leave the area pretty young

Arizona St. is building a 5,000-seat multi-purpose arena that will cost $115 million. A lot of money but seems something similar that SU/Syracuse could one day build, once the existing sports are taken care of.