Barkley comments on DC/AD | Syracusefan.com

Barkley comments on DC/AD

Eric15

Living Legend
Not sure if anyone saw, but on TNT last night Barkley was talking about Anthony Davis, and he said AD reminds him of "the first time I ever saw Derrick Coleman." Barkley said something to the effect that he thought DC would be the greatest player of all-time after playing against him the first time, but came to realize that he just couldn't put it together mentally to reach that level.

And then he made the parallel to AD. He said there's no logical reason AD shouldn't be the best player in the NBA, but he just doesn't have the next-level superstar instinct.

Davis would rather play like a guard than use his size and skill in the post. He should be averaging 30 PPG.
I hate when people say this and I wonder if they truly watch the game with matchups, style of play etc. Embiid is the prime example of the "Rather play like a guard" because he is bigger than EVERYONE and should be in the paint all the time but wants to shoot.
But if you truly watch AD, yes I get frustrated on his "lack of Mamba instincts" and he even said he needs reminded from Lebron every game to go kill someone but AD utilizes what is given to him and that's underrated as hell in the nba. When he has Jokic on him, he HAS to go outside, inside with him because he can destroy him off the dribble or through pick and pops. He can't post up Jokic...when grant is on him, he does back him up and plays in the post. He gets most of his points in the paint.
And don't forget, most of his HS life was spent as a point guard. That's why you could make the case he's the most talented player in the nba, because of his guard skills.
And he is averaging 30ppg, what are you talking about?

I hate when people say this and I wonder if they truly watch the game with matchups, style of play etc. Embiid is the prime example of the "Rather play like a guard" because he is bigger than EVERYONE and should be in the paint all the time but wants to shoot.
But if you truly watch AD, yes I get frustrated on his "lack of Mamba instincts" and he even said he needs reminded from Lebron every game to go kill someone but AD utilizes what is given to him and that's underrated as hell in the nba. When he has Jokic on him, he HAS to go outside, inside with him because he can destroy him off the dribble or through pick and pops. He can't post up Jokic...when grant is on him, he does back him up and plays in the post. He gets most of his points in the paint.
And don't forget, most of his HS life was spent as a point guard. That's why you could make the case he's the most talented player in the nba, because of his guard skills.
And he is averaging 30ppg, what are you talking about?

You're asking me if I watch the game? I'm not a board casual who only watches Syracuse and looks at box scores. He's a finesse big. He should be someone who's regularly on the block and in the post. You'll often find him on the perimeter or taking 18-20 foot shots. It's one of the more frustrating things about him.

The most talented player in the NBA if you're going by height is Durant. He's can score from anywhere on the court and has elite handle for a 7 footer.

I’m not sure he isn’t the best player in the league.

I know this: there’s not one player in the league that I would trade him for, even up.

You're asking me if I watch the game? I'm not a board casual who only watches Syracuse and looks at box scores. He's a finesse big. He should be someone who's regularly on the block and in the post. You'll often find him on the perimeter or taking 18-20 foot shots. It's one of the more frustrating things about him.

The most talented player in the NBA if you're going by height is Durant. He's can score from anywhere on the court and has elite handle for a 7 footer.
You're contradicting yourself my friend. A finesse big is not a bruiser, down low big, so why do you keep wanting him on the block/post the entire time...and he is in the post a good amount...He faces up compared to backing down someone. AD has really good perimeter skills, I won't say elite but really good.

You're contradicting yourself my friend. A finesse big is not a bruiser, down low big, so why do you keep wanting him on the block/post the entire time...and he is in the post a good amount...He faces up compared to backing down someone. AD has really good perimeter skills, I won't say elite but really good.

AD does it all and is in his prime. He scored the last 10 points and hit the game winner last night. He’s shutting people up who had concerns about him in the playoffs because he played for a garbage team...a lot like Garnett did at some point.

AD does it all and is in his prime. He scored the last 10 points and hit the game winner last night. He’s shutting people up who had concerns about him in the playoffs because he played for a garbage team...a lot like Garnett did at some point.
oh I agree...I enjoy watching his game. You can easily make the argument that he is the most talented player in the league...I think he's better on defense than KD but KD has him in handle (I'm hoping he comes back looking like himself and not a shell of himself...that injury is no joke).

AD takes what the defense/player guarding him is giving him..again, it's super underrated and alot of players have tunnel vision that they can play play one way and one way only.
You got guys like Westbrook who can't adjust their offense to who is guarding him. He has just one speed and that's it...ok cool but when you have a smaller dude on you, take him in the post/back him down but it's almost like he refuses to do it and still shoots that shitty midrange shot.

oh I agree...I enjoy watching his game. You can easily make the argument that he is the most talented player in the league...I think he's better on defense than KD but KD has him in handle (I'm hoping he comes back looking like himself and not a shell of himself...that injury is no joke).

AD takes what the defense/player guarding him is giving him..again, it's super underrated and alot of players have tunnel vision that they can play play one way and one way only.
You got guys like Westbrook who can't adjust their offense to who is guarding him. He has just one speed and that's it...ok cool but when you have a smaller dude on you, take him in the post/back him down but it's almost like he refuses to do it and still shoots that shitty midrange shot.

Yeah, KD’s age and injury is primarily why i would take AD over him.

Giannis just seems to struggle in the playoffs a bit when he can’t just bull rush his way to the basket every time. LeBron is a lot older(and he’s already on the team). Kawhi sits out too many games/has had a serious injury(ADs injuries have been relatively minor), Luka’s defense is shaky.

AD is a monster on both ends, and like you said he’s versatile enough to beat you in many ways on offense. And he’s in his prime, age wise. Can’t think of anyone I’d trade him for.

I said it in the nba thread but plumlee had some of the worst defense I’ve ever seen on that last play allowing Davis a wide open shot. Ridiculous.

As has been said he’s not a bruiser and he’s been dinged up in his career. He’s been healthy this playoff run, but he’s not that type of player nor should he be.

I said it in the nba thread but plumlee had some of the worst defense I’ve ever seen on that last play allowing Davis a wide open shot. Ridiculous.
Let himself get screened and didn't notice in enough time to maybe give jokic an extra second to hustle over and switch, still looked like jokic got a decent fly by though. But yeah that was brutal. Small mental error.

Btw the NBA has do a better job scheduling games. I was so wrapped up in chargers-chiefs I forgot game 2 was on.

Let himself get screened and didn't notice in enough time to maybe give jokic an extra second to hustle over and switch, still looked like jokic got a decent fly by though. But yeah that was brutal. Small mental error.
It was worse than that. He saw how late he was and was trying to get jerami to switch off of LeBron to cover AD. Really terrible.

Davis would rather play like a guard than use his size and skill in the post. He should be averaging 30 PPG.
It's as if some players want so badly to prove they have certain skills that they avoid the things that they could be the most successful at.

Didn't Karl Malone also say DC could be the best power forward ever but he didn't want it bad enough?

One thing that makes me wonder is how DC’s heart issues may have affected his motor in the NBA. They discovered arrhythmia issues while in the NBA. He even had some additional heart issues 12 years ago needing an implanted heart defibrillator. Haven’t heard anything recently. DC was so competitive in college. Just wondering if the lazy image we heard about in the NBA was an unknown symptom of his heart condition since it did involve breathing issues that without a diagnosis could easily be construed as being out of shape (lazy). HEART PROBLEMS FOR DERRICK COLEMAN

He's averaging 28.7 in 35 minutes in these playoffs while sharing the court with LeBron. Think he's doing just fine.

I’m not sure he isn’t the best player in the league.

I know this: there’s not one player in the league that I would trade him for, even up.

Most talented, probably. Best, not in my eyes, but certainly a reasonable thought. I'd take a handful of guys over him honestly. Just don't think he has quite the mentality I'd want from my superstar.

NBA in the 90s was full of guys who were in the NBA because they had the size/strength to guard Derrick Coleman. Thats what got the borderline guys roster spots. Now you get to warm NBA bench as a big if you can hit a three and/or guard wings and forwards.

Staying at Syracuse for 4 years likely hurt his pro career. He slowed down due to injuries pretty quickly.

NBA in the 90s was full of guys who were in the NBA because they had the size/strength to guard Derrick Coleman. Thats what got the borderline guys roster spots. Now you get to warm NBA bench as a big if you can hit a three and/or guard wings and forwards.

Staying at Syracuse for 4 years likely hurt his pro career. He slowed down due to injuries pretty quickly.

No question he would’ve been a one and done if he came around a decade later.

Injuries definitely got him around the time he got traded to Philly. He was never the same. He did have a nice late career renaissance on his second go round in Philly on some of those Iverson playoff teams. He played well for them.

A healthy DC would be even more of a monster than he was in the early 90s, playing at the 5 spot in today’s game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom