Barkley stays killing the zone | Syracusefan.com

Barkley stays killing the zone

longislandcuse

Living Legend
After watching the Dayton game, it's tough to defend it.

I love the zone but he is right. It does allow teams like Dayton to beat us.

He said again tonight. The only team Dayton's beat so far that's better than them is Syracuse but they play that zone which negates their talent advantage.

If we're going to play zone 100% we need to develop a press like Ville does. Something that speeds teams up. Obviously, you know where I'm going with this. To press from time to time, we need to develop the bench. Can't press playing 6 or 7 all game.

P.S. Kenny Smith stays clowning himself. "Dayton will finally play a team with size and athleticism, they've played teams with size or athleticism but not both". Riiiiiiiiight. Of course Barkley jumped in and quasi defended us "Well Syracuse has both but they play that zone". Lol..

The zone is ing boring basketball. there is no doubt about that. I think the jig is up on it though as more and more teams have started to figure it out. They aren't scoring a ton against it..but they just reduce the game to one with very few possessions to the point where it becomes a coin flip who wins the game when the opponent has any talent at all. we kept hitting heads during the first part of the season..the last part, it average out with some tails.

We didn't lose the game on the defensive end.
I disagree.

We allowed them to dictate the game to us because of our defense.

I have to think we press on offense in grind it out games where there is no flow and possessions are very limited. That's just human nature.

Dayton held themselves to 60. They ran it down to 30 seconds almost every time, by design.

We should beat Dayton every time no matter how bad we're playing on offense. We have 10x more talent, 10x more athleticism and 10x more size. Our defense allowed them to win.

I strongly disagree with he notion that we just "didn't make baskets". I think our defense plays into our offensive struggles.

After watching the Dayton game, it's tough to defend it.

I love the zone but he is right. It does allow teams like Dayton to beat us.

He said again tonight. The only team Dayton's beat so far that's better than them is Syracuse but they play that zone which negates their talent advantage.

If we're going to play zone 100% we need to develop a press like Ville does. Something that speeds teams up. Obviously, you know where I'm going with this. To press from time to time, we need to develop the bench. Can't press playing 6 or 7 all game.

P.S. Kenny Smith stays clowning himself. "Dayton will finally play a team with size and athleticism, they've played teams with size or athleticism but not both". Riiiiiiiiight. Of course Barkley jumped in and quasi defended us "Well Syracuse has both but they play that zone". Lol..
We held them to 55 points. We lost because we can't shoot straight and we can't score. If we had two good offensive players we'd have beaten them by 12 points and nobody would be complaining about playing zone defense.

I disagree.

I have to think we press on offense in grind it out games where there is no flow and possessions are very limited. That's just human nature.

Dayton held themselves to 60. They ran it down to 30 seconds almost every time, by design.

We should beat Dayton every time no matter how bad we're playing on offense. We have 10x more talent, 10x more athleticism and 10x more size. Our defense allowed them to win.

I strongly disagree with he notion that we just "didn't make baskets". I think our defense plays into our offensive struggles.

We didn't make shots, If Grant, Fair and Cooney would have hit some shots, we win ugly or not.

Dayt0n has some good athletes on their roster, they hit a few more shots than we did.

The zone is boring basketball. there is no doubt about that. I think the jig is up on it though as more and more teams have started to figure it out. They aren't scoring a ton against it..but they just reduce the game to one with very few possessions to the point where it becomes a coin flip who wins the game when the opponent has any talent at all. we kept hitting heads during the first part of the season..the last part, it average out with some tails.
Yup. As evident by our entry to the ACC with better talent and better coaches. Every game was torture except for teams like UNC and Duke who play us straight up.

We held them to 55 points. We lost because we can't shoot straight and we can't score. If we had two good offensive players we'd have beaten them by 12 points and nobody would be complaining about playing zone defense.
Again, they held themselves to that.

A bad offensive team is even worse in a grind it out, slow motion, half court game.

We should beat Dayton on an off night every single time. Barkley is right, they can't hang with us man up. We have better talent, better athletes and bigger size. That alone should beat a team like Dayton no matter how bad our offense is that night.

Also, guess what guys and gals? It's not just one game. We routinely struggle with these type of teams. It's not a blip, it's a trend. They know how to beat us and its because of the defense we play.

Well, if the thought is "we have better talent, better athletes, and bigger size", shouldn't we take advantage of that on the OFFENSIVE end too?

It's funny no one was trashing the zone in the tournament last year; it's because we could score. Subpar teams stayed in games against us all year because our offense was completely anemic, not because the zone let them dictate tempo. We've seen it in years past, teams used 25 seconds trying to get a good shot, we force a turnover/miss then run the other way for a quick 2. That didn't happen this year because WE didn't push the tempo, not because the other team dictated the tempo.

Kansas played man and lost.
Duke played man and lost.

It's a really bad excuse that these dudes try to use.

I don't buy it. The zone was fine last year on the way to the final four. You don't win many games shooting 37 percent.
One Final 4 a decade is evidence enough for you?

Again, I like the zone. We need bigger players than Ennis and Cooney up top IMO, but still I love playing a zone and recruiting athletes that scare people when we walk into the gym. I'm just saying add a press! Develop the bench so we can press. Then fall back into the zone. We need something that speeds these less talented stall ballers up and highlights our athleticism.

Barkley...is...IGOR!!!

47e31b1e9291f6068dcf9b447beee6a4.jpg

He said that Syracuse lost because the team didn't play well, no dig at the zone.

However, when conversation switched to the Wisconsin game from 2 years ago he took a dig at the zone for allowing Wiscy to stay in the game. He failed to mention that Fab was lost shortly before tournament time. With Fab I there it would've been no contest. Some here would argue that it was a 5 on 8 game... and they may be right.

Again, they held themselves to that.

A bad offensive team is even worse in a grind it out, slow motion, half court game.

We should beat Dayton on an off night every single time. Barkley is right, they can't hang with us man up. We have better talent, better athletes and bigger size. That alone should beat a team like Dayton no matter how bad our offense is that night.

Also, guess what guys and gals? It's not just one game. We routinely struggle with these type of teams. It's not a blip, it's a trend. They know how to beat us and its because of the defense we play.
Because the last 2 teams had little offensive talent. SGs that can't shoot. PGs that can't shoot. Playing bad m-2-m isn't going to make SU a good offensive team. Maybe we could hire Pitino or Calhoun to change our system to full court pressure D. Our staff teaches zone D, it's what they know. It's what they do well. It's been successful for SU. When we used to play some m-2-m it wasn't good because its not JB's strength.

Again, I like the zone. We need bigger players than Ennis and Cooney up top IMO, but still I love playing a zone and recruiting athletes that scare people when we walk into the gym. I'm just saying add a press! Develop the bench so we can press. Them fall bam into the zone. We need something that speeds these less talented stall ballets up and highlights our athleticism.
Kansas and Duke have 1 more FF each than us this decade; guess they should not play man because it's obviously not working

He said that Syracuse lost because the team didn't play well, no dig at the zone.

However, when conversation switched to the Wisconsin game from 2 years ago he took a dig at the zone for allowing Wiscy to stay in the game. He failed to mention that Fab was lost shortly before tournament time. With Fab I there it would've been no contest. Some here would argue that it was a 5 on 8 game... and they may be right.
That game was ridiculous. How many threes in a row did they hit?

He did say Dayton hung in with us because of the zone when the convo switched to athletes after Kenny's stupid comment.

Again, I like the zone. We need bigger players than Ennis and Cooney up top IMO, but still I love playing a zone and recruiting athletes that scare people when we walk into the gym. I'm just saying add a press! Develop the bench so we can press. Then fall back into the zone. We need something that speeds these less talented stall ballers up and highlights our athleticism.

I'm with you on the pressing, I agree there.

Lol. You status quo defenders are so stubborn. I didn't say play m2m. Reading comprehension fail in this thread. I said add a press. If were going to be 100% zone all the time. Add a press to speed teams up.

Read.

Lol. You status quo defenders are so stubborn. I didn't say play m2m. Reading comprehension fail in this thread. I said add a press. If were going to be 100% zone all the time. Add a press to speed teams up.

Read.
If you're gonna press and fall back into a 2-3, you better hope they don't beat the press down the floor because the game would turn into layup lines.

I haven't seen us employ a good, consistent press in years. I feel like every time we press we get burned

If you're gonna press and fall back into a 2-3, you better hope they don't beat the press down the floor because the game would turn into layup lines.

I haven't seen us employ a good, consistent press in years. I feel like every time we press we get burned
We don't teach it except for trunk monkey desperation or at least I hope that's he case.

Less talented teams know how to beat us, or at least increase their chance in a game we should blow their doors off. We need to adjust. If we pressed Dayton for 1/4, 1/5 of the game. I guarantee you our superiority has a better chance of shining through in a rock fight than it does sitting back in the zone for 35 seconds.

I'm just saying maybe we need to adjust to their adjustment. Stay zone, im fine with that but teach or find someone (an assistant if its not JBs thing) who can teach a press. We're always one of the most athletic teams in the country, a press shouldn't be that hard of a thing for us to figure out...if we teach it.

SU used to press 2-3 years ago. Quite effectively, I might add. Either JAB no longer likes the press or he didn't trust the current lineup. I hope it's the latter.

Last edited:
We don't teach it except for trunk monkey desperation or at least I hope that's he case.

Less talented teams know how to beat us, or at least increase their chance in a game we should blow their doors off. We need to adjust. If we pressed Dayton for 1/4, 1/5 of the game. I guarantee you our superiority has a better chance of shining through in a rock fight than it does sitting back in the zone for 35 seconds.

I'm just saying maybe we need to adjust to their adjustment. Stay zone, im fine with that but teach or find someone (an assistant if its not JBs thing) who can teach a press. We're always one of the most athletic teams in the country, a press shouldn't be that hard of a thing for us to figure out...if we teach it.

We don't have the depth to press, and you are selling Dayton short, they have some good athletes.

I disagree.

you can disagree all you want but we scored 18 pts in the first half. The only reason we were in the game was that our defense held them to 20. We were a poor offensive team. We didn't hit one 3. If we did, we would have won. That is why we lost. Barkley is a clown that doesn't watch any college basketball.

Briancuse said:
We didn't lose the game on the defensive end.
Agree. We lost because Fair, Cooney, G and Ennis were 0-15+ on jumpers.