Baseball umps vs. basketball refs | Syracusefan.com

Baseball umps vs. basketball refs

OrangeSky

2nd String
I am as upset as everyone else here about the Duke game. It got me thinking (dangerous, I know).

Did you ever notice when there's a close play at the plate in baseball that the ump watches the play for a moment to assess the situation before making the call? Why can't hops refs do that? Why try to make the call so fast that a Cray can't keep up. Take a second to assess before blowing the whistle.

I thought Greene was in a great position to make a call/no call but then saw he was moving towards CJ at the time. Now, I'm not so sure. However, I am sure he made that call so fast that it was almost premeditated. I still feel like I am dreaming about the whole thing.

No disrespect, but isn't it time to move on from "the call?" It's done.

I am as upset as everyone else here about the Duke game. It got me thinking (dangerous, I know).

Did you ever notice when there's a close play at the plate in baseball that the ump watches the play for a moment to assess the situation before making the call? Why can't hops refs do that? Why try to make the call so fast that a Cray can't keep up. Take a second to assess before blowing the whistle.
Many of them make the call in anticipation (before it even happens).