Basketball doesn’t take 5 years to rebuild | Syracusefan.com

Basketball doesn’t take 5 years to rebuild

Alsacs

Living Legend
If you have a successful brand.
We have a successful brand. The sanctions hurt us with coaches on the road and cost us Kevin Huerter.
They shouldn’t be a reason why we haven’t had a pure ACC level PG and a pure ACC level PF/C offensive threat.

Give JB talent he won’t screw it up in the regular season. Problem is we aren’t getting that top tier talent.

We are Seton Hall/Providence in the old Big East right now roster wise.

We get IJ and it changes everything. Because with Newton and Richmond we have 3 prototype players for our system, and with the current shooters on the team we will excel.

The problem now is we have no players the demand a double team and couple players that don't need to be guarded.

Those 3 players will change that. Jackson will demand a double, Newton will have to be guarded and Richmond can distribute the rock. Teams will be forced to guard the post or guard the shooters now they just have to guard the shooters.

We get IJ and it changes everything. Because with Newton and Richmond we have 3 prototype players for our system, and with the current shooters on the team we will excel.

The problem now is we have no players the demand a double team and couple players that don't need to be guarded.

Those 3 players will change that. Jackson will demand a double, Newton will have to be guarded and Richmond can distribute the rock. Teams will be forced to guard the post or guard the shooters now they just have to guard the shooters.
We need to pump the brakes on expectations for those two. SU fan syndrome is thinking the next recruit is the answer we've been looking for. Last 6 years has taught me that the players come and go, but the system is the one constant.

We have a successful brand. The sanctions hurt us with coaches on the road and cost us Kevin Huerter.
They shouldn’t be a reason why we haven’t had a pure ACC level PG and a pure ACC level PF/C offensive threat.

Give JB talent he won’t screw it up in the regular season. Problem is we aren’t getting that top tier talent.

yeah! Ennis wasn't even AAC level as a point guard!

Talent evaluation is why we missed out on Huerter, we could've had him we prioritized worse players over him.

We're below Seton Hall, they have a guy who has a DNPCD as a junior who played starters minutes as a freshman for us and would probably be our leading scorer, best scorer and our best 4 or 5 on the roster without a close second.

There’s so many schools that have success with recruits outside the top 40 these days that we really need to stop blaming our problems on recruiting. It’s the offensive system.

There is a correlation between our recruting woahs and our record the past 10 years, you can't discount the guys rankings that we've brought in the past few years. These guys arent under performing, they're just not that good.

I legitimately feel bad for you. My god what a sad response.
Tyler Ennis was 5 years ago. Stop.
you're just so dopey alot of the time
"we haven’t had a pure ACC level PG"

There’s so many schools that have success with recruits outside the top 40 these days that we really need to stop blaming our problems on recruiting. It’s the offensive system.
We run a system that relies on elite 1-on-1 playmakers. But we don't have those players. So either we recruit those players are you change the system. Seems pretty basic.

For 5 years. My god. You are citing a player 5 years ago in a “own Alsacs” type attempt post.
It’s sad.
are you even aware of what you posted?

There is a correlation between our recruting woahs and our record the past 10 years, you can't discount the guys rankings that we've brought in the past few years. These guys arent under performing, they're just not that good.

We had three 3 stars start on a 30 win team in 2010 and a bottom 100 6th man on the same team. This never used to be a problem. We developed guys. We don’t anymore.

We also have not changed anything we do offensively since Gmac graduated.

The Virginia’s, Purdues, Texas Techs are not getting blue chippers. They are winning 30 games.

Talent evaluation is why we missed out on Huerter, we could've had him we prioritized worse players over him.

We're below Seton Hall, they have a guy who has a DNPCD as a junior who played starters minutes as a freshman for us and would probably be our leading scorer, best scorer and our best 4 or 5 on the roster without a close second.

We wanted Battle instead that was the real reason.

We need to pump the brakes on expectations for those two. SU fan syndrome is thinking the next recruit is the answer we've been looking for. Last 6 years has taught me that the players come and go, but the system is the one constant.
Well if the argument is that we are not getting the recruits to compete, than getting recruits changes that equation. 6'5, 6'-8, and 6'-9 that can all play is a game changer.

We have size that needs to develop and skilled player without prototypical size for our system. These three guys will change the narrative.

Name me one SU team with skilled size that wasn't good. For example the 96 FF was skilled size a couple of shooters and a pass first guard.

I think on top of that, we recruit for specific types that will fit the zone defense. Combo guards that are tall aren't necessarily the best players we need, but that's what we seem to go for. I guess Girard is a move away from that, but he felt like an afterthought and not necessarily a must have target.

are you even aware of what you posted?
I said pure ACC PG and pure ACC PF/C and my point was clearly referring to the excuse of sanctions.
Which were 2015-2018.
People cite sanctions for why we struggled. We didn’t recruit a pure PG or C/PF during that time outside of McCollough and he was 2015 the first year. Since then it’s been wings and combo guards.
You are really doing God’s work the last 17 hours.

We had three 3 stars start on a 30 win team in 2010 and a bottom 100 6th man on the same team. This never used to be a problem. We developed guys. We don’t anymore.

We also have not changed anything we do offensively since Gmac graduated.

The Virginia’s, Purdues, Texas Techs are not getting blue chippers. They are winning 30 games.
2010 team ran a motion offense off the ball screening, the 2012 ran high pick and roll with Scoop and Dion going down hill.

Last edited:
I think on top of that, we recruit for specific types that will fit the zone defense. Combo guards that are tall aren't necessarily the best players we need, but that's what we seem to go for. I guess Girard is a move away from that, but he felt like an afterthought and not necessarily a must have target.

I think the guys we have got the past two years are starting to change that narrative, but the system and a lack of a post threat are hurting them overall.

We also have not changed anything we do offensively since Gmac graduates.

Flynn and Jackson were top 50 guys and Joseph played starter minutes was a top 50 guy. Also had a BIG All rookie team and freshman all American honorable mention who transferred into us. 2010 wasn't some group of scrubs who scaped their way into greatness.

All that said the offensive scheme is worse than the Tampa 2 we play in football.

Flynn and Jackson were top 50 guys and Joseph played starter minutes was a top 50 guy. Also had a BIG All rookie team and freshman all American honorable mention who transferred into us. 2010 wasn't some group of scrubs who scaped their way into greatness.

All that said the offensive scheme is worse than the Tampa 2 we play in football.

Flynn was not on the team in 2009-10. Triche/Rautins/Scoop were the backcourt. None of them were top 50.

Mookie Jones was one of the highest rated guys on that team and he was awful.

Flynn was not on the team in 2009-10. Triche/Rautins/Scoop were the backcourt. None of them were top 50.

Mookie Jones was one of the highest rated guys on that team and he was awful.

You're right. It was a great mix of guys with Wes Johnson.

We can go back and forth about recruting but almost every great team we've had has had big time recruits.

You're right. It was a great mix of guys with Wes Johnson.

We can go back and forth about recruting but almost every great team we've had has had big time recruits.

We being key. Doesn’t stop other schools from winning.