Basketball in Buffalo and the Hard Hat | Syracusefan.com

Basketball in Buffalo and the Hard Hat

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Thought Miami was another good example of a game where Syracuse did not have the athletes Miami had but won anyway.

This team doesn‘t really have a point guard. It doesn’t really have a center and the closest thing we have to a power forward is a skinny true fresh (with admittedly great athletic gifts).

How do they keep winning? What is the key?

I would submit that their toughness is their secret weapon. They are never outworked, never outhustled, they do not concede rebounds and seem to always be the first ones on the floor for a loose ball.

Where did this come from?

I would submit it is the emphasis the staff puts on ‘blue collar’ type plays. And the hard hat award given out after every victory..

This all started for Coach Jack back (as far as I can tell) in Buffalo. About the time the UB men’s team, under Nate Oats, was embracing the same values, and giving out the same award.

My question is who was first? Did the coaches develop this concept together? Did one copy from the other? Did they do it independently? That seems unlikely.

I haven’t seen an article on this. I think it would be a very interesting story for Mike or Donna to write. Would love to hear what Coach Jack and Coach Oats have to say on this topic.

Thought Miami was another good example of a game where Syracuse did not have the athletes Miami had but won anyway.

This team doesn‘t really have a point guard. It doesn’t really have a center and the closest thing we have to a power forward is a skinny true fresh (with admittedly great athletic gifts).

How do they keep winning? What is the key?

I would submit that their toughness is their secret weapon. They are never outworked, never outhustled, they do not concede rebounds and seem to always be the first ones on the floor for a loose ball.

Where did this come from?

I would submit it is the emphasis the staff puts on ‘blue collar’ type plays. And the hard hat award given out after every victory..

This all started for Coach Jack back (as far as I can tell) in Buffalo. About the time the UB men’s team, under Nate Oats, was embracing the same values, and giving out the same award.

My question is who was first? Did the coaches develop this concept together? Did one copy from the other? Did they do it independently? That seems unlikely.

I haven’t seen an article on this. I think it would be a very interesting story for Mike or Donna to write. Would love to hear what Coach Jack and Coach Oats have to say on this topic.

Having played against both Felisha and Sue Ludwig (many more times against Sue, only once against Felisha), these 2 women had the qualities from their times at SU. Sue has always been the ultimate competitor whose very nature is to destroy the opposition. She loved playing and coaching pressure harrasing defense, tough rebounding (she was only around my size 5’6’) and transition offense. Despite being a point guard, she was even a great rebounder herself. Her Westhill girl’s teams reflected her toughness, ability to motivate, teaching ability to dominate Syracuse area high school basketball. She won 22 league championships, 11 Section 3 championships and 5 NY State Regional championships. Felisha’s toughness was more than evident in her rebounding prowess at SU still ranking 3rd in SU history and 5th in scoring. They have decades now of coaching experience and like in their playing days, the fire and competitiveness is still there.

Having played against both Felisha and Sue Ludwig (many more times against Sue, only once against Felisha), these 2 women had the qualities from their times at SU. Sue has always been the ultimate competitor whose very nature is to destroy the opposition. She loved playing and coaching pressure harrasing defense, tough rebounding (she was only around my size 5’6’) and transition offense. Despite being a point guard, she was a great rebounder herself. Her Westhill girl’s teams reflected her toughness, ability to motivate, teaching ability to dominate Syracuse area high school basketball. She won 22 league championships, 11 Section 3 championships and 5 NY State Regional championships. Felisha’s toughness was more than evident in her rebounding prowess at SU still ranking 3rd in SU history and 5th in scoring. They have decades now of coaching experience and like in their playing days, the fire and competitiveness is still there.
I remember Ludwig’s Westhill team being our arch nemesis in HS. Gym would be packed to the gills for those games.

I remember Ludwig’s Westhill team being our arch nemesis in HS. Gym would be packed to the gills for those games.
She had some critics for being cutthroat - not taking the gas off despite huge leads. Very competitive person who pushes players to be their best. What people may not remember is that Felisha was the head coach of Westhill before Sue, Sue took over when Felisha left to start her college coaching career.

Yes she was coach there for 31 years and won 22 league championships. If you beat Westhill girls, it was huge.
I think there were allusions in the PS article I linked above that traces tracking and rewarding of blue collar related actions all the way back to Westhill HS.

If that is true, it looks like Nate Oats 'borrowed' this concept from Coach Jack and Coach Ludwig. Though reading the Buffalo article, it makes it sound like they developed it on their own.

Seems very likely he was inspired to get on the blue collar hard hat train by what the UB women were already doing. Why am I not surprised they don't give Coach Jack and the UB women credit for this?

Clearly Coach Jack is acc coach of the year and it’s not close. Possibly national coach of the year. As someone pointed out in another thread she may not have the most talented team every night on the court but she gets everything out of her players.
She has a good recruiting class coming in next year. A little surprised not more top 25 players are not showing interest. However it’s not just skill but the quality and work ethic of the player that matters.

Clearly Coach Jack is acc coach of the year and it’s not close. Possibly national coach of the year. As someone pointed out in another thread she may not have the most talented team every night on the court but she gets everything out of her players.
She has a good recruiting class coming in next year. A little surprised not more top 25 players are not showing interest. However it’s not just skill but the quality and work ethic of the player that matters.
I think you’ll see more top 25 player the next recruiting cycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom