Battle 4 Atlantis | Syracusefan.com

Battle 4 Atlantis

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
Game 1: Florida vs. Oklahoma, 12 p.m. ET on ESPN

Game 2: Wisconsin vs. Stanford, 2:30 p.m. on ESPN or ESPN2

Game 3: Butler vs. Dayton, 7 p.m. on ESPN3 or ESPN News

Game 4: Virginia vs. Middle Tennessee State, 9:30 p.m. on ESPN2

Here I was getting my hopes up saying we were locked in to return in 2021!!!!

Sorry! Just figured I'd set up a thread in case anyone wanted to discuss the games today.

I have nothing to add on today’s games, but our Atlantis Tournment games a few years ago were some of the most enjoyable times I’ve had watching SU hoops in the last 5 years. Certainly regular season wise.

I remember someone here said Lydon was going to have a Christian Laettner like college career at the time. I wasn’t exactly disagreeing.

Last edited:
If we're ever going to go back to this tourney (or Maui) we need a better team with better talent.

Not exactly the best field this year. I remember a couple years ago hearing all the talking heads saying that Atlantis was gonna render Maui obsolete. Maui still seems to be thriving based on this years field.

Can't wait for the next one. Hoping for better weather so I can enjoy the ocean a bit more though. So awesome.

Not exactly the best field this year. I remember a couple years ago hearing all the talking heads saying that Atlantis was gonna render Maui obsolete. Maui still seems to be thriving based on this years field.

I doubt anyone said “obsolete”. That’s ridiculous whan you have an 8-team field and limits of 1 per conference. But it’s an easier commute for most teams and I believe they pay as much or more than the others.

The fields are announced 1-2 years in advance, and things did not come up roses this year, but with the exception of Stanford and UVA and maybe Butler they are all perennial top 2-3 programs in their conference (based on last 5-10 years)

OU: 2nd (after KU)
FLA: 2nd (after UK)
WIS: 2nd (after MSU)
Butler: 2-4 after Nova (possibly Xav/Creighton)
MTSU: 1st
Dayton: 1st in watered down conference
Stan: 4-7 (Zona, Oregon, UCLA at least)
UVA: 3-5, depending on how far back you go

I doubt anyone said “obsolete”. That’s ridiculous whan you have an 8-team field and limits of 1 per conference. But it’s an easier commute for most teams and I believe they pay as much or more than the others.

The fields are announced 1-2 years in advance, and things did not come up roses this year, but with the exception of Stanford and UVA and maybe Butler they are all perennial top 2-3 programs in their conference (based on last 5-10 years)

I think that is what they were getting at. Travel to Nassau is a lot easier than Maui for most teams. I don’t think Maui would ever go away either but look at what the Great Alaskan shootout has become! It used to be a premier tourney too

I think that is what they were getting at. Travel to Nassau is a lot easier than Maui for most teams. I don’t think Maui would ever go away either but look at what the Great Alaskan shootout has become! It used to be a premier tourney too

Maui or Alaska? Tha Bahamas or Alaska? Anywhere or Alaska? In late November? Not a hard choice for most schools (and their fan bases).

Great Alaska Shootout was a destination ... before the proliferation of tourneys in more "desirable" late November locations. Once other tourneys proliferated, it was the end of Great Alaska Shootout as a prime destination

Last edited:
Maui or Alaska? Tha Bahamas or Alaska? Anywhere or Alaska? In late November? Not a hard choice for most schools (and their fan bases).

Great Alaska Shootout was a destination ... before the proliferation of tourneys in more "desirable" late November locations. Once other tourneys proliferated, it was the end of Great Alaska Shootout as a prime destination

Not to mention once CuseTroop moved to Alaska, that scared everyone away. :rolleyes:

I got back from The Atlantis today. Got to see many of the team members. Lot of Wisconsin and Virginia fans. The place is fantastic!! If SU plays there in the near future I will be there.

Plato and many other esteemed wise men throughout history have spoken of the real Atlantis, which fascinates me more(unless SU Is in the lineup). Last week we missed our only legitimate shot at a title belt this season(other than possibly still a decent shot at NY's college team). I miss when we had Donna Ditota reporting of CJ getting stitches while bringing a title belt back from the islands. I want a reason to do the Aaron Rodgers title belt gesture!

Hopefully this isnt considered too far off topic, I'm kind of being serious.

Yeah he was hammered on that dunk attempt in Maui. Refs blew an obvious and-1. I think it was against Minnesota.

Yeah he was hammered on that dunk attempt in Maui. Refs blew an obvious and-1. I think it was against Minnesota.

I will forever hate Minnesota for the time they beat us in the sweet 16 when they had like 1 guy Would have even made our rotation in the masked wonder willy burton

Not to nit-pick, but I think you are greatly overrating some of these teams. Florida is behind Tenn and Auburn, and possibly Miss St. Wisconsin is behind Michigan and maybe Purdue. Oklahoma is likely behind WVa and TCU.

Not to nit-pick, but I think you are greatly overrating some of these teams. Florida is behind Tenn and Auburn, and possibly Miss St. Wisconsin is behind Michigan and maybe Purdue. Oklahoma is likely behind WVa and TCU.

I think he is saying that at the time the matchups were concocted, that those teams were all solid and their aggregate ranks in their conferences during the past 5 years or so validate that. But, yes, if we are talking right now, currently, then yes it’s not a great field.

Last edited: