Battle's jumper | Syracusefan.com

Battle's jumper

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
By no way am I bashing Tyus, but I definitely thought he would shoot better than 31% from 3 this year. He shot it really well at the end of last year. I know a part of that was being the 4th option with three other perimeter threats in White, Lydon, and Gillon, but some of the shots he put up last night were line drive lazers... I hope this improves, or it's going to be uglier than it has been recently.

By no way am I bashing Tyus, but I definitely thought he would shoot better than 31% from 3 this year. He shot it really well at the end of last year. I know a part of that was being the 4th option with three other perimeter threats in White, Lydon, and Gillon, but some of the shots he put up last night were line drive lazers... I hope this improves, or it's going to be uglier than it has been recently.

This was a concern for me when he went from 3rd or 4th option to the main guy. Reminds me of CJ Fair

Yeah I noticed the same. I definitely have more confidence in Frank shooting at this point.

This was a concern for me when he went from 3rd or 4th option to the main guy. Reminds me of CJ Fair
Yeah, as an average to maybe a little above average shooter, he is definitely not in a position to press and try to force shots(which is exactly what he is doing). He needs to work on being a playmaker and try to get some better shots for his team mates. At this point, with how bad our offense is moving the ball I would be happier with other people(even though they aren't great shooters) taking more shots. The best shot I think anyone took last night, was the open three that Moyer took. Granted, people play off Matt when he's out there, but it did come off a dribble drive, when the D collapsed and then the ball was kicked out to him. For a split second...it even looked like an offensive set (I know...blasphemy!)

I think this is a serious problem. With his stats, along with his serious hitch and his release point, combined with how he kicks his legs forward (vs. straight up and down) on his elevation, I believe it'll be a serious hindrance for NBA scouts, etc. too.

Say what you want about Frank and his loosy goosey handle, decision making, etc., but he certainly has a sweet looking J. He has excellent elevation, legs are straight up and down, along with a great release point and follow through.

I think this is a serious problem. With his stats, along with his serious hitch and his release point, combined with how he kicks his legs forward (vs. straight up and down) on his elevation, I believe it'll be a serious hindrance for NBA scouts, etc. too.

Say what you want about Frank and his loosy goosey handle, decision making, etc., but he certainly has a sweet looking J. He has excellent elevation, legs are straight up and down, along with a great release point and follow through.

Agreed. The NBA is brutally tough to make. Right now Tyus does not have the game to be attractive to the NBA. He's got the size for a shooting guard and will measure well but that is it. Shooting guards that shoot 31% are not needed in the league. He also has not shown the handle to consistently get in the lane. Folks saying it was a done deal he would go might need to reconsider. He's too small to play SF and does not rebound well enough. There is no way he is a first round pick this year and perhaps at the tail end of the second at best.

Unless he hates school, feels the money is needed now and/or feels his stock can't get higher by making improvements in college (perhaps the most likely reason) then it would really be in TB's best interest to consider returning. In any case, go through the process, get all the feedback and make the best decision he can.

Cuse!

Truthfully, I think Tyus is our most NBA capable player since Xmas and Grant. However this team’s incredibly flawed and unfortunately tends to put a magnifying glass on our players shortcomings simply because they are asked to do far too much. I think Tyus has what it takes, but I believe that if he doesnt expand his game to rebounding and creating opportunities for others, he’ll continue to resemble more an inconsistent scorer than an NBA 2

Truthfully, I think Tyus is our most NBA capable player since Xmas and Grant. However this team’s incredibly flawed and unfortunately tends to put a magnifying glass on our players shortcomings simply because they are asked to do far too much. I think Tyus has what it takes, but I believe that if he doesnt expand his game to rebounding and creating opportunities for others, he’ll continue to resemble more an inconsistent scorer than an NBA 2
Very good point. Simple comparison...Tyus last year with a spaced out floor, because we were packed with shooters...much more productive, getting better shots and attacking the basket. Tyus this year with no shooters... is working in a clogged lane and has no space to work. Is he a sure fire NBA prospect, no I don't think so. But if you surround him with quality players and more scorers, I think he has the potential to be a good pro.