BCS Proposing 4-team Playoff | Syracusefan.com

BCS Proposing 4-team Playoff

SEC commissioner Mike Slive favors the top four ranked teams being in the playoff, while Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott favors the model involving conference champions only.

------------------

Well, there's a shocker for ya! Of course the SEC wants the Top 4.

If it's 4 teams, they ALL have to be conference champs. Anything else is just dumb.

Yay! All of college football's problems are now solved! No more whining...forever!

Right?

Yay! All of college football's problems are now solved! No more whining...forever!

Right?

don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

just because people might whine over who is 4th doesn't mean that it's not a huge improvement over people whining over who is second.

Right?

Four is a start. But ultimately, CFB should have a real playoff with 8 or more teams.

IMO I like Top 3 BCS and then the 4th team being the next best team from ND, SEC Champ, B12 Champ, ACC Champ, B1g Champ, or P12 Champ.

Using the BCS rankings and current conference set ups (this is taking some assumptions of course), we would have seen the last 14 seasons produce:

13 B12 teams
12 SEC
11 P12
10 B1G
8 ACC
1 BE
1 NS

The fourth team woulda produced:

4 BCS #4s
4 BCS #5s
3 BCS #6s
2 BCS #7s
1 BCS #8

I still think play-offs are : (1) not necessary; (2) the product of talk-radio and TV pundits; (3) revenue based; and (4) will hurt SU.

I think a 4-team playoff hurts SU. A full 8+ playoff, with conference champs represented does not.

I think a 4-team playoff hurts SU. A full 8+ playoff, with conference champs represented does not.

How does a 4 team hurt SU anymore that a 2 team? We aren't making either.

How does a 4 team hurt SU anymore that a 2 team? We aren't making either.

Agreed. 4 or 2...both are not in SU's best interests.

There won't be any AQing into the playoff by the way.

Looks like they want to go ahead whether or not the B10 and PAC12 maintain their hard-on for the Rose Bowl, according to the Texas AD:

"The only way it's going to get fixed," Dodds says, "is for the rest of the country to have a playoff of some kind and let them do their (own) deal. And then after five years, their coaches would go berserk because they're not in the mix for a national championship. And they'd have to join it."

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...4/deloss-dodds-bcs-texas-big-ten-pacific-12/1

So we'd be back to split national champions again.

The only way to take top 4 would be eliminate human polls, and go completely by computers, other wise you end up with clowns, like the AP writer in south carolina, who will only vote for the southern teams, or the teams ranked preseason.

The outcome of this issue will decide the future of conference realignment. It will be a battle royale. The SEC wants a near monopoly on the 4 teams playing for the title. Why should ND be treated as an equal with all the other conferences? If it is limited to conference champions, ND would be forced to join a conference if it wants a shot at playing for a national championship. But which 4 champions? That opens the problem of what if the 2 or 3 best teams are from the same conference? I don't get why they won't go to an 8 team playoff (5 conference champions and 3 wildcards) with the first round games being played in pairings in the Rose, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta Bowls. Then match the winners in 2 neutral sites that would bid for the games, followed by a title game. It would generate huge interest, TV ratings, and make a ton more $$$.

I don't have the immediate stats to back up my gut feeling, but I suspect that I would have little interest in a 4-team playoff. Too small, too insular, too little chance of our getting in. It would be just like the old Rose Bowl, which I could have cared less about. Admittedly I am not a fan of college football in the abstract, YMMV.

So it appears we have moved to a have not conference from a no way conference. Nice.

The SEC doesnt want it limited to conference champs..if that was the case than Alabama would not have played in championship game. ND doesnt want it to be conference champs because it isnt in a conference (doesnt play BE conference schedule--more like ACC with 4 games a year). Are you telling me that ND is so hottttt it deserves another pass inorder to stay independent?
Its time to go to 16 teams and the playoff is top two from each conference seeded and then play until championship game determines winner. Perhaps that means up to 16 teams...playing in stipulated bowl games then you have 8 than 4 than 2...that is 3 more games than teams play now especially if they go to a bowl now. Take one game a season away and add that to playoffs..now college football increases by two games...should be a heck of a revenue source.

You catch this tidbit:

The BCS also announced there will no longer be automatic qualifier and non-AQ conferences, but the power leagues (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC) likely will still earn more revenue than other leagues. A big unknown is whether the Big East will still be compensated as an AQ conference.

Andrea Adelson has more:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/32312/bye-bye-aq-status

The only way to take top 4 would be eliminate human polls, and go completely by computers, other wise you end up with clowns, like the AP writer in south carolina, who will only vote for the southern teams, or the teams ranked preseason.

Why can't it be a selection committee just the way NCAA Basketball is decided?

The only and I mean only chance ND joins a conference is if it's locked out of a playoff. But I would bet that allowances would be made for ND in this system just like they were in the BCS. I wish they wouldn't, but I can't imagine it happening any other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom