BCS Question | Syracusefan.com

BCS Question

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Pardon my ignorance on this issue.

Do I understand that under the new BCS arrangement, there will be no automatic qualifiers for the BCS Playoffs?

That is, a team from the Mountain West that has a brilliant season will qualify for the playoffs if voted in by the playoff committee?

If that is so, does Boise State see the Big East as a good move because it may enhance the school's strength of schedule with decent though perhaps not great programs like SMU, Houston, Louisville, Cincy et al?

Or, does the new BCS system somehow retain AQ? My impression is - no it does not.

Thank you for your input.

No more AQ's.

There will be 4 playoff slots. Teams will be decided by a committee. It has yet to be determined if they will simply select the Top 4 each year, or use some combination of conference champions with the best at-large team thrown in.

A MWC team would have to go 12-0, and wait for a phone call. If you're not in the Top 6, you probably don't have a chance.

No more AQ's.

There will be 4 playoff slots. Teams will be decided by a committee. It has yet to be determined if they will simply select the Top 4 each year, or use some combination of conference champions with the best at-large team thrown in.

A MWC team would have to go 12-0, and wait for a phone call. If you're not in the Top 6, you probably don't have a chance.

So, does it make sense for Boise to go to the BE?

Do the Broncos improve their strength of schedule by doing so?

For those teams not in the Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12, SEC or ACC, the SOS and an undefeated season become crucial, right?

With 5 power conferences fighting over 4 playoff slots, SOS and being undefeated is important to everybody.

If Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Florida State, and Michigan all go undefeated, somebody has to get left out of the playoff.

With 5 power conferences fighting over 4 playoff slots, SOS and being undefeated is important to everybody.

If Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Florida State, and Michigan all go undefeated, somebody has to get left out of the playoff.

True.

But that's kinda been the way it always was - the regular season meant a lot.

I still keep coming back to the notion that the new system is in many respects a return to the old days - when there was simply a process of selecting the teams eligible for the NC.

Obviously the NC will be decided on the field, but more teams now at least have a chance - and that's better than what we have now.

It's better for the entire universe of college football.

Yea, no AQ. A BSU is screwed if they do or don't. A BE schedule is not going to give them a strong SOS and the MW certainly wont. Going Indie they are screwed because nobody from the SEC, B12, B10 not PAC10 will play them to legitimize them. The 4 playoff teams will almost always come from those 4 conferences unless an FSU is undefeated and a couple other ACC teams they have beaten are top 20 or better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

who knows but something tells me within 5 years or so we go to 8 teams at which point a team like Boise would be in. I hope that we head in that direction and believe we will as the increased TV dollars would more than make up for the dilutive effect of adding an additional four teams

It's pretty simple. However awful you proclaim the NNBE to be, the football side of the tv contract is still going to be a lot more than the Mountain West's tv deal. That is the absolute only reason Boise State is joining the Big East and was never going to stay in the Mountain West.