Be afraid | Syracusefan.com

Be afraid

SBU72

All Conference
A sports talk guy in Rochester commented last week that he thought that Triche was simlar to Paul Harris in thatmaybe like Harris he matured faster than his peers and was thus far ahead of them in b-ball. Now in college he is playing against better talent and guys who have grown into their atheletic ability where BT has not. When BT came in to SU he was acclaimed for having such a powerfull body (like Harris) and it just seems that he hasn't grown any more. Now for what to be afraid about, is Coleman going to be the same way? DC2 was considered a top if not THE top kid early on in high school when his physique was way above his peers. By the time he got to be a senior in HS, his ranking had dropped off (maybe in proportion to his weight gain). So is he going to be another Harris and maybe Triche where his best is behind him, or will he work hard to advance his skill level to match his physical ability?

PS: I know that PH has gone on to play pro someplace, not sure where and I am glad to hear it but his ability did seem to stagnate at SU and a lot of it seem to be his bball IQ not ability.

A sports talk guy in Rochester commented last week that he thought that Triche was simlar to Paul Harris in thatmaybe like Harris he matured faster than his peers and was thus far ahead of them in b-ball. Now in college he is playing against better talent and guys who have grown into their atheletic ability where BT has not. When BT came in to SU he was acclaimed for having such a powerfull body (like Harris) and it just seems that he hasn't grown any more. Now for what to be afraid about, is Coleman going to be the same way? DC2 was considered a top if not THE top kid early on in high school when his physique was way above his peers. By the time he got to be a senior in HS, his ranking had dropped off (maybe in proportion to his weight gain). So is he going to be another Harris and maybe Triche where his best is behind him, or will he work hard to advance his skill level to match his physical ability?

PS: I know that PH has gone on to play pro someplace, not sure where and I am glad to hear it but his ability did seem to stagnate at SU and a lot of it seem to be his bball IQ not ability.

Otis Hill was the same height and not even close to the same body as DC and he turned out ok. I still think he has the foundation to be a good college player it will just take a lot of time and dedication on his part in the summer.

Otis Hill was the same height and not even close to the same body as DC and he turned out ok. I still think he has the foundation to be a good college player it will just take a lot of time and dedication on his part in the summer.
Not saying that DC2 will not turn out all right, just that we have seen in the not to distant past a couple of cases where SU has gotten kids that "peaked" early. Obvioulsy Otis Hill was not one of them. There are some signs of that being the case with DC2. We all hope to see the Hill type of advancement versus the Harris type.

unfair comparison. harris looks like stephan curry from outside in comparison

For DC2, time will tell - same as with nearly all freshmen. For BT, his problems right now are either in his head or his body is damaged. It's got nothing to do with peaking early. Sounds like the radio guy was trying to start some dialog to get some callers.

For DC2, time will tell - same as with nearly all freshmen. For BT, his problems right now are either in his head or his body is damaged. It's got nothing to do with peaking early. Sounds like the radio guy was trying to start some dialog to get some callers.

You really have to wonder if there is something really wrong with Brandon's back. He's pulling the string on too many shots now. Way short.

You really have to wonder if there is something really wrong with Brandon's back. He's pulling the string on too many shots now. Way short.
I think it's mental more than anything. He has zero confidence.

That's something to point to if BT came in and totally flopped. He was pretty good his first 3 years, he was in no way overmatched or undertalented.

You're right about the "dialog" but one has to wonder that BT hasn't seem to advance as well as you would expect a NYS player of the year would. There has always been something holding him back, going from a pg to a 2G, then reduced playing time. Now when he has the oportunity to take charge, he hasn't.

i have seen a lot of high school basketball. triche was one of the best high school players i have ever seen. thats the reason i am so frustrated with him. i always expected him to break out. after the louisville game, i have finally given up on that idea. i hope i am wrong, but all the frustration with him lately, to me, it stems from people realizing he is never going to become the player we hoped versus just him playing poorly.

Coleman has shown some decent footwork and moves on the floor on the offensive end. His problem (and resulting lack of playing time) is that he's often clueless in the zone. Once he gets comfortable going straight up with the ball and gets more development on his drop step, he's going to be a 12-16ppg C. But he's too much of a defensive liability to get much PT right now.

Coleman has shown some decent footwork and moves on the floor on the offensive end. His problem (and resulting lack of playing time) is that he's often clueless in the zone. Once he gets comfortable going straight up with the ball and gets more development on his drop step, he's going to be a 12-16ppg C. But he's too much of a defensive liability to get much PT right now.

agree. his issue is definitely defense but its not exclusive to the zone. he cant stay in front of his guy. he would be getting beat man to man just as bad.

I agree with that analysis of Coleman. When he uses an unnecessary dribble or shoots from his shoulder against Section 3 kids, he scores over them. When he does those things against college kids (and not just Division I college kids), he gets stripped or rejected.

Learning how to play defense will get him more minutes, but he'll never be an effective player if he can't lose the dribble/shot put hitches.

He works very hard; I don't doubt he'll get the former (though more game minutes would help; he's kind of caught in a vicious cycle). As for the latter, that's anyone's guess. Would be nice if somebody could send him to a big man camp this summer and get a few weeks of high level instruction.

They need to send DC2 and Rak to some Big Man camps this off season where they can get some top notch coaching. I have no confidence in the developmental coaching our big men are receiving. Bernie had a track record of success working with them. Since he left I haven't seen any progress in our big guys' skill level.

You're right about the "dialog" but one has to wonder that BT hasn't seem to advance as well as you would expect a NYS player of the year would. There has always been something holding him back, going from a pg to a 2G, then reduced playing time. Now when he has the oportunity to take charge, he hasn't.
Read Dollar Bill 44.